Packers said to be interested in Calhoun

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From jsonline:

According to TheNFLExperts.com (an offshoot of Scout.com, subscription required), both Brian Calhoun and Brandon Williams are hot commodities right now.

Tony Pauline of TFY Draft Preview states:

"Brian Calhoun is the other underclassman getting a lot of play. Calhoun has weighed in near 202-pounds recently, alleviating some concerns of scouts who thought he was lighter. The shifty back from Wisconsin is also running in the low 4.3's and has garnered the interest of several teams.

"The New York Jets and Green Bay Packers, a pair of squads who need backs, are closely following Calhoun. As are the Indianapolis Colts, who are likely to lose Edgerrin James to free agency. There has been some talk in the Colts camp of possibly trading down into the early part of round two then grabbing Calhoun.

"Calhoun's Badger teammate, receiver Brandon Williams, has also gotten a lot of pre-draft looks. Williams, who is running his forty in a time of 4.46 on grass, was interviewed by 16 different teams at the East-West Shrine Game in mid-January. Recently Tampa Bay, Kansas City and the Steelers have spoken with him. Pittsburgh is looking at Williams as a possible replacement for Antwan Randle-El, who could be lost to free agency next month."

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to have either, or both, of these guys in G & G next year. But how does he fit with the power running scheme that M3 has indicated he intends to run? If there is true interest in Calhoun by the Packers, it indicates that Gado will be elevated to starter, and/or that the Packers have faith in the recovery of Ahman and intend to bring him back.

Williams run-after-catch performance has always been exceptional. A little smallish, but all he does is produce in a very big way!! Amazing how the league is being littered with high quality WR talent from Wisconsin these last 5 or 6 years.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calhoun would be an awesome pick up for the pack with the second round pick. Not only is he a productive runner he is even more so with catching out of the back field for an outlet back he would be even better than Green. He is also very patient. I know I have watched ever Badger Game this year. He did a great job. I also like Owen daniels at TE he has really come on and as a converted QB knows how to run routes. Very very clean on his routes and good hands

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calhoun seems to be on the small side, but he does have some good moves. I just don't think the Packers will take a RB that early. I think they are going to stick with Gado, and maybe Davenport. Both of them are talented and BIG men. I also think Green will be back in a diminished part. I don't think he will get much FA interest with the injury and all.

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
202 isn't small for a back (especially one who runs in the low 4.3s and never takes a direct hit). Calhoun is bigger than quite a few featured bacs in the NFL. He's going to be a solid pro and we should take a long look at him if he's there at #37

magic_8ball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
202 isn't small for a back (especially one who runs in the low 4.3s and never takes a direct hit). Calhoun is bigger than quite a few featured bacs in the NFL. He's going to be a solid pro and we should take a long look at him if he's there at #37
i agree the pack would be wise to jump on calhoun in the second round. The badger blocking scheme is a zone and now the packer's is too. calhoun proved he can carry a team with multiple games with over 30 carries, one or two over 40. if he is over 200 lbs. and with his hieght, speed, and agility. He will be the perfect warrick dunn like back that fits into jagozinski's run game. His hands are great too. its hard to find this kind of talent in a humble hard worker like calhoun.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calhoun would be great pick. The blocking that the packers will be using (Zone) requires that the RB have great visoin because they have to pick the hole that they are going into. Aside from reggie bush no one is better then that then calhoun.

I could see the packes (with the implementaiton of atheltic Lineman) running a lot of screen, which again is perfect for someone like calhoun. Great speed and agility and excellent receiver out of the backfield.

I think like mid-season this year he was leading the team in receptions. That was also one of the goals for Penn state when they played the badgers, not just to stop calhoun running, but stop him when he goes out for passes.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the PSU game Calhoun was not really used effectively. The whole WI team played uptight and did not block well. I satill think he did accumalate some yards against a good team. Cqalhoun was also effective without his featured FB in Bernstien.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen him listed on many Top 100 lists anywhere from #62 to #81 and it would be a good move if we could get him with our 3rd Round (#69) pick. IMO there are too many other good players out there to go with him as high as our #37 pick.
IF we trade down and end up with another 2nd round pick then MAYBE.

Remember, FA comes first and some teams are going to be spending some $ on some RB's. Another reason he may still be around early in the 3rd round.

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calhoun has been shooting up draft boards recently though. He's now viewed by a lot of people as a solid second round pick (and maybe an early one).

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
I have seen him listed on many Top 100 lists anywhere from #62 to #81 and it would be a good move if we could get him with our 3rd Round (#69) pick. IMO there are too many other good players out there to go with him as high as our #37 pick.
IF we trade down and end up with another 2nd round pick then MAYBE.

Remember, FA comes first and some teams are going to be spending some $ on some RB's. Another reason he may still be around early in the 3rd round.

Sorry Warhawk but he will move up after the combine. HE fast fast fast. better hands than most wide outs. Has a great burst and can change direction mid air. He is second to Reggie Bush. but I feel has more upside than Reggie. and he will come alot cheaper. would be a great deal for a 37th overall.

Would love to see a split backfield with him and Gado.

Wisconsin also employed some zones in thier offensive blocking. Would do very well.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:

Barry Sanders 5'8" 203 lbs second in all time rushing yardage!!! w00t

BrettFavre4MVP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
TOPackerFan said:

Barry Sanders 5'8" 203 lbs second in all time rushing yardage!!! w00t
third..

but I do think Barry was the best ever..During his 2,000 yard season, he averaged 6.1 yards a carry..HOLY CRAP..I don't think he had a very good OL either..

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing you have to love about this kid is he touched the ball over 400 times last year and never fumbled once. Brain Calhoun was a one man show in many Badgers games this year...teams in the big ten set their defenses to contain this back and very few succeded. He is as humble and hard working as they come...never takes a big hit...sure handed..with blinding speed. Calhoun in green and gold would put a smile on many Badger fans across Wisconsin.:)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true Barry Sanders was small by NFL standards. Not a real BIG guy, but with moves that amazed! Can Calhoun do that? I don't know.....he did look good the games i saw. It just seems rarely do Packer's GM's pick WISCONSIN players! They passed Chambers a few years back, when they could have had him. And look how good he is turning out.
If they can get Calhoun, it would be interesting to see how he would do.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is true cheesey but if thompson is interested in Packer people Calhoun would be one as he is a milwakee native. Calhoun may not have all Barry had but he is a stand up guy like Barry no BS celebrations in the endzone very business like

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him in a Packer uniform. I wish the Packers would look MORE at Wisconsin players. Since Barry Alvarez took over as coach (now athletic director) they have turned out some decent players. He sure turned the football program around there!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him in a Packer uniform. I wish the Packers would look MORE at Wisconsin players. Since Barry Alvarez took over as coach (now athletic director) they have turned out some decent players. He sure turned the football program around there!

chris chambers

i know how a lot of guys feel on this board, i'm the same way with penn state players--whether we trade down in the 1st and take tamba hali, or draft zemaitis or anwar phillips at corner in the 2nd or 3rd...i wanna see my favorite college guys playing for my favorite nfl team

but i think our needs lie beyond running back, especially as early as we'd have to take calhoun...our defense is not that good, and we lost the best defensive coordinator we've ever had, i think defense is in order for our first day picks, except for maybe tatusi latsui in the 2nd, the guard from USC

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely JW! The needs at other positions FAR outweigh the RB situation. But as in the past, they will most likely "take the best available player" no matter WHAT the NEED is. Thats one i could never figure out..........they always take the best "athelete", even if that position is full already. Why not go for what you NEED the most? It's like, we REALLY need a car, but there's a GREAT deal on a jet ski! It just boggles my mind........

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have to second that motion - taking care of Defense and upgrading the interior of the Offensive front five is a mandatory operation - 2nd would be what happens pending Favre actually steps aside. But no matter who we have at QB - we need protection, especially if it's a Rookie behind Center.

On Defense, even if we do (indeed) keep Grady Jackson, I would still be looking heavy in Oregon's direction and that huge Nose tackle they have coming out in the Draft. I would start there - word is, that TT's actually making some real considerations for FA - just not where most of us think he should be looking.

Did you guys read the reports on the newly signed Punters?
Well, there ya go.....

The game's won on the scrimmage line, every time!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
From jsonline:

According to TheNFLExperts.com (an offshoot of Scout.com, subscription required), both Brian Calhoun and Brandon Williams are hot commodities right now.

Tony Pauline of TFY Draft Preview states:

"Brian Calhoun is the other underclassman getting a lot of play. Calhoun has weighed in near 202-pounds recently, alleviating some concerns of scouts who thought he was lighter. The shifty back from Wisconsin is also running in the low 4.3's and has garnered the interest of several teams.

"The New York Jets and Green Bay Packers, a pair of squads who need backs, are closely following Calhoun. As are the Indianapolis Colts, who are likely to lose Edgerrin James to free agency. There has been some talk in the Colts camp of possibly trading down into the early part of round two then grabbing Calhoun.

"Calhoun's Badger teammate, receiver Brandon Williams, has also gotten a lot of pre-draft looks. Williams, who is running his forty in a time of 4.46 on grass, was interviewed by 16 different teams at the East-West Shrine Game in mid-January. Recently Tampa Bay, Kansas City and the Steelers have spoken with him. Pittsburgh is looking at Williams as a possible replacement for Antwan Randle-El, who could be lost to free agency next month."

FOLLOW UP - since I have a Packer Report login ----

Early bird prediction(s)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Running back Brian Calhoun

By Bob Fox
, [email protected]
Date: Feb 12, 2006

Prognosticator forecasts Packers' picks in April's NFL draft

The speculation is running rampant as to who the Green Bay Packers will select with their picks in the 2006 NFL draft. A lot of that will depend on some things that will happen between now and the draft. Free agency starts in early March. Who the Packers re-sign from their own roster and who they sign from other team's rosters will definitely factor into their draft day decisions. There is also the Brett Favre retirement possibility. I am still betting on Favre coming back. We also still have the combine coming up in late February and the Pro days that players will have at their respective schools. Players can really impact where they are drafted by strong or weak showings at those events.

This mock draft will be based on a number of factors. I believe that Ted Thompson will try and get at least a couple more picks by trading down or by trading a player or two. As it stands right now, the Packers have five picks, one in each of the first five rounds. I think the Packers will get an additional third round pick as compensation for the loss of Pro Bowl G Marco Rivera. I also think the Packers can get an additional 4th round selection by trading down a few slots in the third round. Finally, I believe that the Packers can get another fifth round pick by trading WR Robert Ferguson to the Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles are desperate for help at wide receiver and although Ferguson has been disappointing overall in his time in Green Bay, he knows the West Coast offense and has shown glimpses of real talent. The Eagles might remember his two touchdown catches in the fourth and 26 playoff game. Anyway, based on all that, here is an early prediction of the Packers’ 2006 draft.

1) DE Mario Williams, North Carolina State
Williams can be an imposing figure at 6-7 and 285 pounds. He can also give the Packers a great rotation at DE with Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and Aaron Kampman. The Packers need to re-sign Kampman before the draft. Williams has the abilty to be a three down lineman as he plays the run well besides being a sack threat. Williams can bring some serious pressure to the QB and it's amazing how much a secondary can improve with a good pass rush.

2) RB Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin
Calhoun is the perfect back for the West Coast offense. He is not only a gifted RB, but Calhoun catches the ball extremely well. Calhoun is one of those backs that never seems to take a big hit and can hit the home run at any time. He also would be part of a nice rotation with Sam Gado and Ahman Green. Green wants to stay in Green Bay and the Packers could probably sign him to a one year deal that is affordable because of his injury status.

3) S Daniel Bullocks, Nebraska
The Packers hit the jackpot last year with their selection of safety Nick Collins. Bullocks could be the perfect complement to Collins. Bullocks has an eye for the football and can lay the leather as well. He would be an immediate upgrade over current starter Mark Roman.

3) MLB Tim Dobbins, Iowa State
Dobbins has nice size and speed for a MLB. He also has good playmaking ability which has been sorely lacking by Green Bay linebackers the last couple of years. His selection would also free up Nick Barnett to move outside where his skills are better suited.

4) WR/KR Brandon Williams, Wisconsin
Williams could help the Packers in two key areas. He would help the WR corp with his ablity to make yards after the catch. He also would be an immediate upgrade in both the kick and punt return units. Williams doesn't have great size, but he just make big plays.

4) G Fred Matua, USC
Matua has good size at 6-2 and 305 pounds. Matua helped Heisman trophy winner Reggie Bush and LenDale White have monster seasons in the running game. He also did a nice job protecting former Heisman trophy winner Matt Leinart in the passing game.

5) CB Josh Lay, Pittsburgh
Lay has excellent size for a cornerback at 6-2 and 195 pounds. The Packers need to find a cornerback that will be more consistent opposite Al Harris. Current starter Ahmad Carroll might be better suited as a nickel back. Either way, the team needs more depth at the position as Harris isn't getting any younger.

5) OLB Omar Gaither, Tennessee
Gaither brings some nice ability to the OLB position. He has excellent speed which is very important for the Packers defensive scheme. He also is a playmaker that can find the football. Bottom line, the Packers need to upgrade quickly at the LB position.

There is a good chance that the Packers’ first four picks will start. Williams will be a key player on special teams. Matua would also have a chance to start. Both fifth round picks also would have an opportunity to win a starting job. The Packers could garner seven starters out of eight picks. And think about the impact Williams will have on special teams.

Bob Fox is a freelance writer from the Tampa, Fla., area. E-mail him at [email protected].

===============================

Hope that helps, guys!

Latest posts