Packers said to be interested in Calhoun

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i assume he credits us a 3rd round pick for rivera?

here's my draft for the hell of it, considering its late, im bored, and there's already a two hour delay for my college tomorrow after this weekends 'blizzard'

1)DE-Mario Williams, NC St.
--a frame bigger than Peppers', maybe we keep Kampman and trade KGB, who knows, I'd still be happy with Hawk but I like Williams better

Plan B: Trade down to 9-11 and draft Haloti Ngata at Oregon, we keep our two DE's and get a premium run stuffer who can also get after the QB

2)ILB-Abdul Hodge, Iowa
--any other year he'd be a first round pick, a great class of linebackers, another reason I think we can look past AJ Hawk so early, and again, Barnett to the outside

3)RB-Maurice Drew, UCLA
--i know you guys want Calhoun, but Drew's a solid selection. Speedy, can take on some carries from Gado

3-b)OG/C-Greg Eslinger, Minnesota
--could be groomed to take over the center position, or could be turned into a pulling guard, something we've been lacking after Wahle left

4)CB-Anwar Phillips, Penn State
--Had to do it. But really, cornerback is also deep this year, Al Harris is solid but not getting any younger, and after that, well--hopefully we get someone here in free agency

4-b)WR-Brandon Williams, Wisconsin
--This kid is fun to watch, we need someone who opens this team up with speed. We had several chances to draft Darren Sproles from K-state last year on the second day, but didn't...Williams is a good addition as a return man, and also some depth to reciever

5)OLB-Cameron Vaughn, LSU
--6'4, 240...our LB position is what needs the most work IMO, figure Hodge, Barnett and a platoon between Thomas/Lenon and Vaughn gets a chance to develop

5-b)DT-Montavious Stanley, Louisville
--Every play Grady takes could be his last, at any given time--whether we get him back or not, we need some more beef in here

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Item-1, but using Plan-B has merit; and, actually could work. It
satifies TT's addiction to getting the most picks of any GM in the Draft.

The part where we get an in-state football player is pushng the curse, maybe..... (meaning Wide Receiver - Brandon Williams)
When was the last time the Packers had anyone from a WI University, that turned out to be a Pro-Bowl caliber? It's like the football gods are against it.

Then, there's 5-b ----- you're right, Grady has never played a full season with the Packers, yet --- has he? The Man can play - we now that, but he's had to be pushed into a corner with no room left before he'll just focus on playing football. Hanging around with Drew Rosenhaus didn't help matters, either. We just need to get some fresh young studs in the middle - after that, any DC can come in and look like a Saint.

UPDATE - the last great Defensive Coordinator the Packers ever had was - Fritz Shurmur
Let's never forget ol' Fritz -- last year's DC was a pretty good imitation of him, til he decided to get petulant.

Good fantasy draft ol' boy -- not bad at all..... You should print that out and leave it on the fridge.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think ngata has upside, he's been one of my favorite and most sought after prospects since i've started looking at this draft class--i think a rock on the inside of the line will open up some opportunities for KGB...i'm still not that sure of our interior d-line--grady is solid, if he plays, but other than that--Colin Cole is adequate, another situational player--I don't think he's anything special, I think he got a little more hype than he shouldve gotten because there was nothing else going our way this season. I think Ngata can be a Warren Sapp type player, big enough to play the run effectively but he can close in on QB's and crash the pocket--6'5/340 and he runs a sub-5 40, i'm not a guy who lives by 'workout numbers' but someone who is that big and can go that fast is a unique type of athlete. If we dont get Grady back and our future DT's project to be Ngata next to Colin Cole, I'm very optimistic

regardless, ngata (and an extra 2nd-3rd round pick) or mario williams in a packer uniform after april will make me happy

I love this draft class and trading down a few spots in the first round to get an extra second will
A-force us to pay our first round bonus a lower bonus, save some cap space, maybe take advantage of the cuts that are made after june 1st
B-pick up another solid defender or a guard in the second round
or C-trade two 2nd round picks to get into the late 1st, thats an interesting possibility as well

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good reasoning, all 'round, JavonWalker084 - nicely thought out.

All I know is one thing - the inside was breached many times on our Defense for the last two years. give Jim Bates a bit of the ol' moxey credit - ala Fritz Shurmur style - but he just didn't hang around long enough to make real hay.

Personally - I like Colin Cole and pending TT lets 30-ish Jackson walk to go find his retirement nestegg elsewhere, Cole will be one of the new run-stuffers on Defense next year. Quite often he was right wherever the ball was.

Sure he missed a few tackles - it was also his first year with a struggling Defense, so he was new to a System, the Bates System... which will still change just a bit more, even if the core remains the same, because Bates is no longer around to crack the whip. A different personality on Defense will emerge this year. It's just a fact of the game.

I'd really like to be able to say Peterson gets his crack at bat this year, as well. He didn't have that great a Season, but there were some sparks..

And, who's that other guy... Montgomery? I think.... (off the cuff, here)
Isn't he (like) 6'7" and around 260 or more.... Some say he is too tall, but wasn't Reggie about that same size? Wonder if they'll keep him?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I like Cole and (I believe its Mike) Montgomery. They are some young big boys, and can probably do some damage on the line.

I do like jackson, and he can stay if he the money is right. firing rosenhaus proves a lot (to me, characterwise), and he did good.

but i like our line regardless

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts