Packers Rumors

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello all. I am Joe Arrigo and some of you may know of me from other Packers websites for my O.T.S. (On The Sidelines) blog/articles that are Packers (and NFL) rumors. If you want my credentials, please read my bio on my site.

Please feel free to go check them out at my blog site, joeslockerroom.wordpress.com (I cann't post the link yet, sorry).

I just found this site (a few weeks ago) and see some familiar names.

Joe

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi ya Joe....

You can go ahead and post your rumors when ever you like..

While some ( maybe even me) will take your "rumors" with a grain a salt it is always interesting to read during the offseason

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I will post your last one this way people get an idea of you...

Here is the O.T.S. for the week of February 22nd through the 28th. In this weeks O.T.S. we will touch on more free agency rumors and of course the NFL Draft since the combine is going on this weekend. Remember, I am writing this BEFORE the combines goes into "full swing", so next weeks O.T.S. will have more news from the combine.

RUMOR:

n.

A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
Unverified information received from another; hearsay.

I don't recall if I had this in the past O.T.S. but I have heard (for a while now) that Ted Thompson would like to add a veteran corner back and/or offensive tackle via trade or free agency.
I touched on this in various Packers websites/forums this week. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that the Oakland Raiders are willing to deal any player on their roster, including the NFL's best corner back, Nnamdi Asomugha. The word started to come out at the Shrine practices, but intensified after the Senior Bowl.

I have heard that the Packers have talked to Oakland multiple times about Nnamdi Asomugha, Darren McFadden and Thomas Howard. There is no word on the price tag, but we can only assume that for Asomugha it is going to be steep. This may be Ted Thompson doing his due diligence, but the two teams also spoke last year when Oakland was willing to listen to offers.

Keep an eye on Texans soon-to-be free agent Daunte Robinson. The corner out of South Carolina has ties to Dom Capers and would be a very good fit in the Packers defensive scheme.

For two years the name Julius Peppers has had Packers fans hoping that he could find his way to Green Bay. I hear those fans wanting him can keep wishing. The thought is Thompson will "check-in" on Peppers, but will not over spend for him. The Packers remain a dark horse for Peppers, but only at the right price.

When the Eagles released Brian Westbrook the Vikings became the most likely suitor since they will lose Chester Taylor this off-season. But I have heard that the Packers, Redskins, Vikings and Patriots have all had contact with his agent about possibly signing him (after his official release).

The Packers are continuing to work on an extension for Ryan Pickett, but since a deal is not close to being done,m they will franchise him. He is cool with it since the two parties both want Pickett to stay in Green Bay. Part of the reasoning to franchise Pickett is because the NFL is planning suspend Johnny Jolly. I hear the suspension between 4-6 games. That would mean B.J. Raji will get a lot more snaps at defensive end.

Speaking of Jolly, look for the Packers to tender him and ensure he remains with Green Bay for the forseeable future. They will have to do it before his trial takes place and even if (when) he is suspended in 2011.

A name that I hear is flying up the Packers draft board is Georgia Tech safety Morgan Burnett. He is an underrated player with big play ability and not afraid to make a big hit.

Another name that is creating a buzz at 1265 is Antrel Rolle of the Arizona Cardinals. I heard that he is a player that some Packers officials think would solve the safety "issue" and also give the Packers the best safety combo in the NFC.

A restricted free agent that may not be retained or could be traded is Oakland's Kalif Barnes. There is some speculation that he maybe a player that the Packers target to play right tackle.

Ted Thompson still would like to keep Aaron Kampman from what I gathered. But the question is does Kampman want to stay in Green Bay. I hear he agent and the Packers are still talking, for what it's worth.

One surprising name that has been linked to Green Bay is Oklahoma St. quarterback Zac Robinson. I have been hearing that the Packers are "smitten" with him and he could be a late round selection by the Packers. He has a decent arm but his highly athletic and raw.

A player that has to have a good combine in order to lock down a first round selection is TCU outside linebacker and pass rush expert Jerry Hughes. He is a player that the packers are looking at late in round 1 or even early in round 2.

I have also heard that at the right price Ted Thompson would like to bring in Chargers running back Darren Sproles, who will be allowed to become a free agent.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
interesting, All seem plausible. Would like to see some of those become reality.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, no, it's Arrgo?!?!?

Ah, the painful, painful days between the Super Bowl and Draft Day - chock full of nonsense, spin and smok-n-mirrors.

I'd have to admit that for the better part of 5 years, I have followed all the rumors - even Randy Moss. Every year, TT does nothing. What's worse is the year TT made his only big splash, acquiring Woodson, nobody had a clue until the moments leading up to the announcement.

Feel free to partake in that fruity beverage if you wish.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, no, it's Arrgo?!?!?

Ah, the painful, painful days between the Super Bowl and Draft Day - chock full of nonsense, spin and smok-n-mirrors.

I'd have to admit that for the better part of 5 years, I have followed all the rumors - even Randy Moss. Every year, TT does nothing. What's worse is the year TT made his only big splash, acquiring Woodson, nobody had a clue until the moments leading up to the announcement.

Feel free to partake in that fruity beverage if you wish.

It is a roller coaster and the worst of it is the fact there is not even hope that we will be able to address the O-line in all these rumors.

With the strong possiblity Peppers lands in Chicago (having no early round picks) and Kampman walking on to one of our rivals, thats 4 games of Peppers/Allen nightmares with same, older and more injury prone line we had last year.

I will always have the start of last season in the back of my mind (4-4 record) if we start next year with the O-line not being addressed.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a roller coaster and the worst of it is the fact there is not even hope that we will be able to address the O-line in all these rumors.

With the strong possiblity Peppers lands in Chicago (having no early round picks) and Kampman walking on to one of our rivals, thats 4 games of Peppers/Allen nightmares with same, older and more injury prone line we had last year.

I will always have the start of last season in the back of my mind (4-4 record) if we start next year with the O-line not being addressed.
Chicago are the Redskins of the north.

They don't scare me, no matter how many FAs they get.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman in Minnesota, rotating with Edwards?

That thought might be enough for TT to keep Kampman, but that kinda retards the growth of the team. Interested in how that one turns out.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago are the Redskins of the north.

They don't scare me, no matter how many FAs they get.

As I have seen over the years, those Packers/bears games can be really brutal no matter how well either team is doing.

A player like Peppers with nothing to play for but to make a highlight real does give me some concern.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I"ll definitely be taking a grain of salt when reading Joe's rumors. They are entertaining to think about, not saying that.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I have seen over the years, those Packers/bears games can be really brutal no matter how well either team is doing.

A player like Peppers with nothing to play for but to make a highlight real does give me some concern.

I think the bears will target Kampman over Peppers. Like us the bears don't really spend too much in the FA either. Although they did make a huge trade for Cutler, I don't see them dishing out the same kind of attention for Peppers.

OP
OP
Arrigo

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fwiw, I hear Robinson is the Packers top target in free agency and a name to watch closely is Keith Bullock from Tennessee.

I also heard members of the Packers met with Campbell for a while but it wasn't an "official" meeting.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry. I was being sarcastic. I was trying to mock Bear fans and did a poor job. My bad.
Sorry, didn't catch the sarcasm...

But I find it funny, I liked the comparison I made.

I was actually worried when they got Cutler, and a little bit also when they traded for Adams.

Much like Washington was perceived as a good team when they got Haynesworth...

With their aging D, poor OL, and non-existant receivers, and with no early round picks, I think the Bears are 2 or 3 years distant of being contenders, at least. Despise of who they get in FA, they simply have too many holes to fill...

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't catch the sarcasm...

But I find it funny, I liked the comparison I made.

I was actually worried when they got Cutler, and a little bit also when they traded for Adams.

Much like Washington was perceived as a good team when they got Haynesworth...

With their aging D, poor OL, and non-existant receivers, and with no early round picks, I think the Bears are 2 or 3 years distant of being contenders, at least. Despise of who they get in FA, they simply have too many holes to fill...

I really wasn't worried at all about Cutler. I was never very impressed with him, even when he played in Denver. Yeah, he has a pretty strong arm, but he's a loose cannon, a head case, and seeing guys like that makes me soooooo thankful that Aaron Rodgers is our quarterback. I can't wait until Rodgers gets the respect he deserves in this league.

OP
OP
Arrigo

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers traded back picking up an extra 2 and a 3rd. I think they can get the player(s) they want a few slots back and a couple teams to watch are Cleveland, KC and St. Louis.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers traded back picking up an extra 2 and a 3rd. I think they can get the player(s) they want a few slots back and a couple teams to watch are Cleveland, KC and St. Louis.

I believe that the best trading partner will be Tampa Bay. They have 2 high second rounders that could really help us.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trying to predict draft day trades is like picking next year's Superbowl winner.

You have some basis in doing so (needs, M.O.s of GMs, etc), but it almost never happens the way you think it will.