Packers releasing Jimmy Graham tomorrow

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somehow Jimmy Graham got admission to an exclusive club, joining Sammy Watkins and a few others, guys who keep getting contracts toward the top of the pay scale when nobody can quite figure out why.
It’s mind boggling. I assume the Bears have people who watched tape from the last 2 years, what we saw every week - a suddenly clumsy, drop-prone and slooooow TE. I’m not even slamming Graham, we all get old. In fact, he might be the smartest guy in the room.

And couple that with the Bears bringing in Foles (giving them two average starters), which makes no sense to me, and ya gottta be glad for the GM we have.

Reaction score
Yeah but in fairness Spriggs had 3 years to prove himself. Or are you saying he was played out of position?
Possibly yes. We may never find out.

He was projected initially to move inside to OG
when he was drafted, then eventually be moved to OT in a methodical fashion. He was raw as a Rookie but had exceptional athletic characteristics all along. I also read an article, from the time of him being drafted, quoting Gutey saying he loved his flexibility on the OL.. Yet I don’t ever recall giving him a substantial shot there. Not even over those 3 years you mentioned. That’s a lot of draft capital and minimal salary as to not try to slide him inside once he wasn’t transitioning.
To stay on topic.. I have a feeling GB drafts a TE day 3.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

when he was drafted, then eventually be moved to OT in a methodical fashion. He was raw as a Rookie but had exceptional athletic characteristics all along. I also read an article, from the time of him being drafted, quoting Gutey saying he loved his flexibility on the OL.. Yet I don’t ever recall giving him a substantial shot there. Not even over those 3 years you mentioned. That’s a lot of draft capital and minimal salary as to not try to slide him inside once he wasn’t transitioning.

Oh he played at guard. He was worse there. Couldn't anchor, at all. It wasn't pretty.

Spriggs had plenty of opportunity, he just didn't capitalize on it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I loved the pick when they made it. Spriggs athleticism was clear. Maybe he wasn’t given a chance at G. As you say, we’ll never know.

And yes, on topic, I’m hoping they either get a TE in FA (although I see Ebron is now gone), or do it in the 3rd as you suggest. The draft isn’t loaded with TEs, but Kittle was something like a 5th round pick. This is gonna force Jace to step up his game big time. I AM glad they retained Lewis.

H

HardRightEdge

It’s mind boggling. I assume the Bears have people who watched tape from the last 2 years, what we saw every week - a suddenly clumsy, drop-prone and slooooow TE. I’m not even slamming Graham, we all get old. In fact, he might be the smartest guy in the room.

And couple that with the Bears bringing in Foles (giving them two average starters), which makes no sense to me, and ya gottta be glad for the GM we have.
Jimmy wouldn't be the smartest guy in the room, but his agent might.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A head scratcher for sure. Maybe Chicago thinks they can get a handle on our offense. Pretty expensive way to try and do that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A head scratcher for sure. Maybe Chicago thinks they can get a handle on our offense. Pretty expensive way to try and do that.
That’s been Chicago’s problem for a while, throwing money and draft picks without any consideration for the consequences or what might go wrong. Well, that’s what we love about the Bears.

On the plus side - I can’t see Jimmy and Trubisky or Foles giving us much trouble. And Diggs is in Buffalo. Detroit has made a few good moves but, hey, it’s Detroit.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Someone will want him he played the whole season even when he was hurt, and he is younger than Tramon, which should have been released imao, but 10 mil a here for so so talent, should be dumped on any other team in the league but the Packers..

Reaction score
I loved the pick when they made it. Spriggs athleticism was clear. Maybe he wasn’t given a chance at G. As you say, we’ll never know.

And yes, on topic, I’m hoping they either get a TE in FA (although I see Ebron is now gone), or do it in the 3rd as you suggest. The draft isn’t loaded with TEs, but Kittle was something like a 5th round pick. This is gonna force Jace to step up his game big time. I AM glad they retained Lewis.
Lewis was almost a must. I also think you’ll see Lewis in support on Wagners side more until he settles in.
With all these 3rd day selections, we should go after a TE to groom for that position group, maybe a blocking TE is in order. Especially considering Marcedes age and limited future.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lewis was almost a must. I also think you’ll see Lewis in support on Wagners side more until he settles in.
With all these 3rd day selections, we should go after a TE to groom for that position group, maybe a blocking TE is in order. Especially considering Marcedes age and limited future.
Good point. Someday soon Lewis is gonna retire. A lot will be riding on Jace’s development this year. I trust Gluten and MLF enough that they think that can happen. And with the TEs remaining in FA, they’d be a stop gap anyway. Too bad Hooper got away, but GB can’t afford $11 mil/year for a “good” TE. It was wise to let him go.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As if the Jimmy Graham 2 year deal for $16M, with $9M guaranteed shouldn't have made Bear fans wonder about Ryan Pace! I just read that the deal includes a "No Trade Clause" :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Was that required by the other 31 teams before the league would approve the deal? There goes the ham sandwich and 1/2 bottle of hand sanitizer that some team would have traded for him to pick up THAT contract!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is incredibly inaccurate. You and other like you need to remember what actually happened.
  1. Cook was signed to a 1 year contract. He could not be cut because he as a free agent.
  2. The Packers attempted to re-sign him and offered him a pretty good contract.
  3. Either Cook or his agent responded, "Naw, he's worth more." (Exactly who said this is up in the air. Suggestions are that this was the Agent and Cook was pissed, firing him as a result.)
  4. TT lands Bennett and Kendricks for roughly the same price as his initial offer to Cook
  5. Amusingly, Cook signs elsewhere for LESS than TT's initial offer.
Who screwed up? Cook. Not TT, not the Packers.

Sorry in advanced if this sounds grump....re-reading it, that's the tone coming across, but it is not my intention.
You don’t have to worry about your “tone”, especially with the background you provided. I had no idea about #4, that they got Bennett and Kendricks for the same price Cook was asking. At that time (and obviously not knowing what would happen with Bennett), I make that deal every time.

Thanks for clearing that up. I still feel bad, but not quite as bad!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As if the Jimmy Graham 2 year deal for $16M, with $9M guaranteed shouldn't have made Bear fans wonder about Ryan Pace! I just read that the deal includes a "No Trade Clause" :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Was that required by the other 31 teams before the league would approve the deal? There goes the ham sandwich and 1/2 bottle of hand sanitizer that some team would have traded for him to pick up THAT contract!
Nobody but the Bears would have given up that 1/2 bottle of hand sanitizer. So we can say Graham’s worth was equal to a $16 mil ham sandwich. On second thought, that sounds like the Bears.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham, 36, was charged with suspicion of being under the influence of a controlled substance and resisting, delaying and obstructing a police officer. The tight end is reportedly suspected to have suffered a seizure and stayed overnight at a medical facility and underwent additional testing before returning to the team.

U.P. Packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may be "under suspicion" but it sounds like it was a medical situation and not a substance issue from what I am hearing.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pen is mightier than the sword. It sucks when people with a tiny bit of power, let it go to their head and write a clickbait headline like that.

Reaction score
The pen is mightier than the sword. It sucks when people with a tiny bit of power, let it go to their head and write a clickbait headline like that.
Yes. I was literally just studying that in scripture this morning. The pen is a modern day extension of the tongue. Full of deceit and deadly venom and more dangerous than a 2-edged sword. Through it we bless and curse. On a personal note. Always found it interesting that we cannot seem to bridle our tiny tongue from evil (myself included) but then act like we are each in total control of our body. If we can’t even control our tiny rudder how would think we can steer our ship?

I rarely take anything serious anymore in the news. It’s part truth, then embellished and bordering on propaganda. Everything in the media has an “angle” attached to it. I treat it like Star Magazine or National Enquirer. Hopefully Graham is ok and this was an isolated event or some innocent mix up on a prescription etc.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not denying that the press can overblow things, but I have also seen the complete opposite happen as well. Denial of facts and cover-ups. Sometimes getting to the truth requires sifting through both ends of the extremes.

Reaction score
I’d hate to be trying to round up that man wandering aimlessly and in a foul mood. He’s a load and pretty intimidating if he’s fighting back or being uncooperative. Best be careful of the “Mailman” Malone elbow to the jaw there