Packers release TE Justin Perillo, promote ILB Carl Bradford to active roster

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huh. Perillo never really did anything great, but he was the one tightend on that roster that I wasn't constantly disappointed in.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This will bring more to talk next week, as the Packers either call up a TE from the PS or start combing the FA market to find a TE to replace whoever gets hurt on Sunday. I know we have had our share of injuries, but it seems like all year we are dangerously thin at one position before or after each game. Our 53 man roster almost feels like a 22 man roster at times.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perillo rarely plays but I don't want another ILB on the roster. I want Clay at ILB where he stays HEALTHY because he has to play within himself and can't go balls to the wall....which always blows his hammy.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad to see Bradford promoted. Hopefully he lines up a bit with Blake this week. Some reason I'm thinking Blake/Bradford is our ILB starters of the future.

D

Deleted member 6794

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-perillo-sign-carl-bradford-to-active-roster/

Didn't see this posted yet. Cook presumably ready to return , Bradford getting another chance to salvage his career and stick around on the active roster.

Haven't heard much on Jake Ryan's injury other than him being out tomorrow but this move might be a sign they aren't too optimistic about his outlook .

With only two healthy inside linebackers on the roster I expected the Packers to promote Bradford from the practice squad before today's game. I'm a little bit surprised Thompson decided to release Perillo though resulting in the team having only two tight ends available.

Perillo rarely plays but I don't want another ILB on the roster. I want Clay at ILB where he stays HEALTHY because he has to play within himself and can't go balls to the wall....which always blows his hammy.

The defense performs on a higer level with Matthews lining up as an edge rusher as he's an average ILB after all. It seems possible you bring up a valid point about his body benefitting from playing inside though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought playing on the inside would be better for his body, but it at least appears it's better on his hamstrings. related or not? I have had my thoughts where I thought he'd shine in the middle too, but that thought has changed. I think he's best predominately from the outside and 0nly being moved because the coaches want him to rush from somewhere else, not because we don't have anybody else to play in the middle.

as for the TE, it's not like we're removing a punishing blocker or a productive receiver. Perillo was, what he was. Nothing against the guy, but we're not going to miss his blocking or is 4 catches. I don't know what's happened to Rodgers. He was always slow, but at least he had great hands, now they're as suspect as anything. My guess is they're counting on Cook to step right in. We didn't see a lot from him before he went down. if he's going to shine, I guess today is a good time to start.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I'm sure that is true, I personally don't expect that Cook will be a difference maker.
I certainly hope I'm wrong and Cook is the missing piece that sparks the Packers offense.

If Cook is fully healthy he should be able to exploit Washington's defense tonight as they lack a decent cover corner outside of Norman and their inside linebackers and safeties are struggling.

I'm not convinced he's the missing piece to the Packers offense though.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cook better do a lot tonight. I don't want to see dead *** RR trotted out there every damn play to be slow, unable to block and marginal at catching.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WIMM, do you have the stats on RR? Just thinking that some of the comments I've read during the debacle have been along the line of "he can't run, he can't block, and now he drops it". May have just been the occasional miss, but it'd be fun to know.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My only comment on Richard Rodgers is this, he would make a really decent back-up TE for some team. While he isn't terrible, the Packers need more out of the position then he has to offer as a starter. Given he is still on a rookie salary through next year, I don't have a problem with him being on the team, but as a #2 or #3 TE to be used in the Red Zone or for Hail Marys against Detroit.

Last night, Cook, despite his fumble of a well punched out ball by Norman, showed the type of TE the Packers have been lacking for way too long. Will be interesting to see if Cook can continue playing this well and if he does, will the Packers resign him?