Packers release TE Justin Perillo, promote ILB Carl Bradford to active roster

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Depending on his health and how far he has progressed, I would love to see Devon Cajuste brought up from the PS and see what he has. I would also be just fine with giving him Jeff Janis's roster spot.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on his health and how far he has progressed, I would love to see Devon Cajuste brought up from the PS and see what he has. I would also be just fine with giving him Jeff Janis's roster spot.
But Janis just needs a little more time... or more snaps or.... oh wait I forgot this isn't his rookie season..., I thought he got three of those....ok boot him... now.... please.... Maybe he and Thompson could go to Minnesota.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis' development this year has been disappointing, and I'd be fine with moving on from him after this season and not tendering him as a RFA next year.

That said, I think him seemingly becoming the new whipping boy for this team is a little over the top. Cutting Janis will fix nothing with this team, it isn't going to prevent 500 yards of offense from the opponent and another 40+ game allowed from our D. Janis isn't playing well but he's pretty far down on the list of reasons why we're struggling.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That said, I think him seemingly becoming the new whipping boy for this team is a little over the top.

Well if TT, MM and Caper threads are full, I find myself gravitating to the Fire Janis thread.

While I agree with you, that Janis is the least of our concerns, he is a good example of something TT does wrong. Hanging on to one of his own way longer then he should and watering down the roster with developmental players that aren't that good. TT spent a 7th round pick on Janis....3 years ago and besides some nice tackles on Special Teams, he really hasn't earned a spot on the roster. It takes major mistakes by some of these players, before TT finally admits the talent isn't actually there and quietly lets them go.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he was playing special teams this year like last year he's exactly what every team hopes for wen they draft Someone in the 7th round. And maybe with a little luck they're a regular contributor on offense or defense. He was a ST stud last year, but he's nowhere to be seen this year.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he was playing special teams this year like last year he's exactly what every team hopes for wen they draft Someone in the 7th round. And maybe with a little luck they're a regular contributor on offense or defense. He was a ST stud last year, but he's nowhere to be seen this year.
worse ....we are seeing him make terrible plays lol

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After seeing how Bradford got tossed around out there on a couple plays, I'd rather they brought Perilli back to play linebacker. I saw Bradford on his *** more than on his feet

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have to imagine Clay will be playing in the middle again? Bradford looked like the defensive equivalent of Don Barclay out there last week. or is Ryan close? Thomas and Ryan would be serviceable. Thomas and Bradford would be a disaster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True, and yet another position Thompson gambled on keeping only three inside linebackers on the 53.

I think many of us questioned that move back in September. Especially given that the 3 were a rookie, a 2nd year player and Thomas who has improved, but is still at times unimpressive to me. No doubt TT viewed CMIII as his 4th ILB for depth, so not all together a brainless move. But still questionable in my opinion to rely on such a young, inexperienced group playing a position that has been a thorn in the Packers side far too long.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I really don't keep close tabs on other teams, but the thing that keeps sticking out in my head are hearing the broadcasters talking about other teams injuries. Talking about this guy or that guy coming in and playing well for the injured starter. I for the life of me can't recall that happening for the Packers this year. Gunter maybe for a game, Spriggs relieving Barclay (enough said)? Other then that, what back-up has come in and we haven't seen a pretty dramatic drop in play?

These "replacement players" have slowly added up to a complete watering down of the Defense and somewhat of the offense and we have seen the results. While you can't expect starting caliber players to fill the entire 53 man roster, I think TT has just gotten too reliant in his D &D philosophy, filled the roster with young "future players" and exposed the Packers to what is now happening when starters cant play and development players are forced into action.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't keep close tabs on other teams, but the thing that keeps sticking out in my head are hearing the broadcasters talking about other teams injuries. Talking about this guy or that guy coming in and playing well for the injured starter. I for the life of me can't recall that happening for the Packers this year. Gunter maybe for a game, Spriggs relieving Barclay (enough said)? Other then that, what back-up has come in and we haven't seen a pretty dramatic drop in play?

These "replacement players" have slowly added up to a complete watering down of the Defense and somewhat of the offense and we have seen the results. While you can't expect starting caliber players to fill the entire 53 man roster, I think TT has just gotten too reliant in his D &D philosophy, filled the roster with young "future players" and exposed the Packers to what is now happening when starters cant play and development players are forced into action.
I agree with your post. However Your statement about announcers praising some other team's backups struck a chord with me. I can distinctly remember Collinsworth praising some Packer Backup that had been stinking it up since he came in. I wish I could remember details, but I think these announcers just spout out crap with no real knowledge about what has been going on on a team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it wasn't some brainless gamble though. Clay could slide over again if need be. Same as if we lost our RB's we have a FB and Montgomery that was going to do better than pretty much anyone else available at the time to take one of our roster spots. Our young guys were playing well. and you know what kind of experienced guys were around? guys like Hawk, he surely would have helped? Thomas has his limitations, Martinez makes a few mistakes, but overall pretty good. Ryan has surprised me and was playing very well. Bradford, eesh, he looked nothing like he did in the preseason where he actually made a bid to make the roster. But most would agree, he looked much better this preseason than in any past and people were saying he was earning a spot. Turns out they put him on the PS instead. Now, if he looks like that for another 10 plays I wouldn't even let him stay in a hotel in GB.

We always keep a good number of OLB as they are more important to this defense, and they almost had to stay that way because of FA coming up and drafting one, they had to see which, if any were really going to earn a spot going forward. Datone was switching positions, Perry was finally healthy. They had to see what they could do. I guess they didn't have to, they could have just gotten rid of them both and brought in 2 other guys or used their roster spots on a couple extra ILB's and DB's?

But 4 weeks ago, Perry was a must re-sign. Datone has just been flashes here and there, but more early on I thought anyway. At this point he's a guy I look at replacing.

But where should all of these roster spots come from? and who specifically in August did you guys identify that should have been cut and who, specifically did you name to be brought in?

At this point I'd say Abby, Janis, Goodson, Bradford, Barcaly, could easily be dispensed of. At the time, I would have said Goodson, only because of suspension and Barclay because he is just flat out horrible every time he sees the field could have been used on someone else. Outside of that, i wasn't too upset with who the kept and where they were on the depth chart. Obviously that has changed a lot by now.

But who were you cutting and who were you brining in. It would be better to show with posts from back then, but I'll give you the power of hindsight.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree with your post. However Your statement about announcers praising some other team's backups struck a chord with me. I can distinctly remember Collinsworth praising some Packer Backup that had been stinking it up since he came in. I wish I could remember details, but I think these announcers just spout out crap with no real knowledge about what has been going on on a team.

This is true, a lot of announcers are "with" the team for that one game and may not have all the information. I can't remember who Collinsworth was referring to either, maybe Gunter during one of his better games? But how many times have we faced a team with a "patchwork secondary" a "makeshift offensive line" a "journey men of wide receivers" a "struggling QB" and made them look good? On the other side of that coin, when has that situation been reversed and the other team hasn't been able to take advantage of it?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a lot of announcers are "with" the team
The announcers' jobs are to hype the game they're working, since the network paid a lot of money to televise it. It's up to the fans to ignore the drivel. Best to mute the TV and listen to Larry McCarren on the radio.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
At this point I'd say Abby, Janis, Goodson, Bradford, Barcaly, could easily be dispensed of.

But who were you cutting and who were you brining in. It would be better to show with posts from back then, but I'll give you the power of hindsight.

You are right, hindsight and correct predictions (not many admit to incorrect ones) make us all look like fricking geniuses. That is why there are real coaches who evaluate these players before the 53 man roster is finalized. Really, all us fans have to go off of, is what we see and read.

I agree with your list and probably would add a few more players to it, using hindsight. However, that really isn't the question here, the bigger question is, "How did TT and the Packers get to the 53 along the way?" Did they properly evaluate their potential 53 man roster from the end of last season until the final cutdown day. Did they fill weak spots with FA's or draft picks. This doesn't come down to keeping Barclay, Janis, Goodson, Abby, etc. over someone with perceived lesser talent on the final cut day, it comes down to building a strong 53 well before September each year and using all the tools available to do it.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The announcers' jobs are to hype the game they're working, since the network paid a lot of money to televise it. It's up to the fans to ignore the drivel. Best to mute the TV and listen to Larry McCarren on the radio.

While I agree that the announcers aren't always spot on in their analysis and opinions and hyping the game is important to them, but I don't mind having to filter out some of the BS in exchange for the entertainment of good play by play as well as some eye opening stats.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right, hindsight and correct predictions (not many admit to incorrect ones) make us all look like fricking geniuses. That is why there are real coaches who evaluate these players before the 53 man roster is finalized. Really, all us fans have to go off of, is what we see and read.

I agree with your list and probably would add a few more players to it, using hindsight. However, that really isn't the question here, the bigger question is, "How did TT and the Packers get to the 53 along the way?" Did they properly evaluate their potential 53 man roster from the end of last season until the final cutdown day. Did they fill weak spots with FA's or draft picks. This doesn't come down to keeping Barclay, Janis, Goodson, Abby, etc. over someone with perceived lesser talent on the final cut day, it comes down to building a strong 53 well before September each year and using all the tools available to do it.
It does, and in September, our Roster looked pretty good. Nobody has a Roster built with starting caliber players this deep into the roster. Toss in some vets making bucko bucks that aren't quite doing what they should all the time either and you get what we got. when it wasn't the defense, it was the offense. When its not the offense, it's the defense. When it's not either of them, it's special teams. When Rodgers isn't throwing it in the dirt, Clay Matthews can't see the field.

I'm not saying Ted and everyone at the top are perfect, they aren't. But people gotta be fair in their assessments too. Sure it's on Ted he didn't have 6 starting caliber DB's on this roster because it's what we would have needed. So we have more vets and less youth as our 4 5 6 DB's, coupled with our other issues, we wouldn't necessarily be better, our problems would just be different. You can help a guy or two in the back, you can't help them all.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It does, and in September, our Roster looked pretty good.

That is my point exactly, it "looked" good. What we as fans didn't see is just how weak our depth actually was and has proven to be, that is TT and the coach's job. TT will never admit it, but all year long he has been getting caught with his pants down around his ankles. To us fans these blunders seem to start with the Sitton situation, but it really started long before that by not properly evaluating the talent of his team at the end of 2015, top to bottom and addressing its needs through all possible channels. He seems to use one channel......draft and develop.

Think I said it elsewhere, but this season has now made me fully aware of the risk you run when compiling too young and inexperienced of a roster. While it may serve you well in the future if you duck injuries, but if injuries catch you in just the wrong way, it exposes a team thin in ready now talent and experience. What further made things worse as well as frustrating, was TT didn't even react when his top 3 CB's went down and there was still a chance to trade for someone like Haden to possibly stop the bleeding. As unhappy I am with coaching, the more I read, think and watch, the unhappier I am becoming with TT himself.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so, if it looked good to all these people then, then should any of us have an opinion now, on what is wrong? Either you agree it was a good roster and things have happened, or you thought it was a good roster, now realize it wasn't, but then your evaluation skills aren't all that great either so why do you know what's wrong now?

Not you in particular, just a general you for purposes of making a point :) I for one think we had a pretty solid roster. Not perfect, but you can't get one because even if you are perfect at picking the best players, there are 10,000 other factors that won't be. As much as the bottom of the roster isn't holding up, the top isn't doing much better. Rodgers is doing better, but didn't start so great. Still worth it. Clay hasn't been this year. Shields isn't. Peppers isn't. Cobb is rebounding some. Jordy is rebounding after injury and worth it I think. But there's a lot of money in difference makers, that at this point aren't making a lot either. You can blame it on Ted, but I don't think that would be fair either.

D

Deleted member 6794

Same as if we lost our RB's we have a FB and Montgomery that was going to do better than pretty much anyone else available at the time to take one of our roster spots.

and who specifically in August did you guys identify that should have been cut and who, specifically did you name to be brought in?

Building a competitive NFL roster starts in March though and not after teams starting cutting players in late August. A lot of posters advocated to sign different players that would for sure have helped the Packers this season.

As an example DuJuan Harris would for sure have been an upgrade over Montgomery at running back and was available for three weeks in October.

I'm not saying Ted and everyone at the top are perfect, they aren't. But people gotta be fair in their assessments too. Sure it's on Ted he didn't have 6 starting caliber DB's on this roster because it's what we would have needed. So we have more vets and less youth as our 4 5 6 DB's, coupled with our other issues, we wouldn't necessarily be better, our problems would just be different. You can help a guy or two in the back, you can't help them all.

I agree that it's impossible to have six starting caliber cornerbacks on the roster but the players on the bottom of the depth chart for sure could be better than the Packers #4-6 CBs.

Members online

Latest posts