Packers release Sammy Watkins

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Why not? Wouldn't hurt to give him some snaps & see if he brings his "electricity" to the offense as long as it doesn't take him away from returns.
Agreed. Nixon has to be a high priority FA resign this offseason. I hope he doesn't ask too much, but his value as a return man, backup corner and now potentially an offensive gadget player, has made him a valuable piece to keep.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Sounds like Nixon might be playing some some slot.....not corner...but WR.

I'm not sure if you're serious about having Nixon play at slot receiver but I would prefer him to focus on returning and being a backup cornerback.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I heard on the radio this morning that Nixon was the one that brought up playing slot receiver.
I'm not sure if you're serious about having Nixon play at slot receiver but I would prefer him to focus on returning and being a backup cornerback.
Rodgers basically said what @captainWIMM said above.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard on the radio this morning that Nixon was the one that brought up playing slot receiver.

Rodgers basically said what @captainWIMM said above.

I suspect that if he is serious they'd want to test this in offseason and training camp. The guy is excellent with the ball in his hands, so the experiment wouldn't be without merit IF it worked.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I am not the one that will make the decision of him playing slot WR or not, it sounds like something the Packers are considering. Now if you are asking if I would enjoy seeing it, my answer would be "heck yeah, anything to help the offense is worth trying."

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nixon obviously has looked very good lately. Both returning and catching the ball cleanly. What surprised me was how fast he is. When he goes for the outside; he usually gets there and turns the corner.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nixon obviously has looked very good lately. Both returning and catching the ball cleanly. What surprised me was how fast he is. When he goes for the outside; he usually gets there and turns the corner.
Nixon does a really good job of heading up-field setting up blocks before cutting to an outside lane. Really like watching the endzone angle on his returns. If playing him in the slot a few snaps/game draws a S or CB onto him opens up better coverages for the other WR's I'm very OK with that.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again this experiment would happen in off season and TC. I could envision the team at least stick a toe in this water given what he can do with the ball in his hand. He'd also make a solid jet motion type guy possibly too.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Nixon has to be a high priority FA resign this offseason. I hope he doesn't ask too much, but his value as a return man, backup corner and now potentially an offensive gadget player, has made him a valuable piece to keep.
I like the gadget thought. That could be just one more notch we need in the red zone or inside the 10 which bites us.

Reaction score
While I am not the one that will make the decision of him playing slot WR or not, it sounds like something the Packers are considering. Now if you are asking if I would enjoy seeing it, my answer would be "heck yeah, anything to help the offense is worth trying."
You have to be open minded to using your hot hand. Keisean has been red hot as of late.
We’ve had plenty of ST Returners injected into our Offense over recent years. Plus, Those guys we bring in are sometimes hungry to prove themselves. If they excel at one thing try them at another. If they excel at both things? expand their roles until we fully realize their potential.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You have to be open minded to using your hot hand. Keisean has been red hot as of late.
We’ve had plenty of ST Returners injected into our Offense over recent years. Plus, Those guys we bring in are sometimes hungry to prove themselves. If they excel at one thing try them at another. If they excel at both things? expand their roles until we fully realize their potential.
Yup and technically, the Packers are in a "can't lose another game, playoff mode"....so they better put it all on the field the next 3 games.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

As tynimiller pointed out I would be in favor of working him out at slot receiver during next year's training camp if the Packers end up bringing him back. I don't consider it to be a smart idea at this point in the season though.

We’ve had plenty of ST Returners injected into our Offense over recent years.

Those guys were offensive players to begin with though.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Nixon might be playing some some slot.....not corner...but WR.

Head coach Matt LaFleur told reporters that cornerback Keisean Nixon has been begging him to play slot wide receiver. "LaFleur says Keisean Nixon has been campaigning to play slot — not slot corner, but slot receiver," Packers reporter Matt Schneidman said on Twitter.
Rodgers talked about that when asked about it… He was jovial, but pretty much said it wasnt going to happen.

Members online

Latest posts