Packers release Sammy Watkins

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

The team has released the veteran wide receiver before today's game against the Rams.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I figured they'd do this once playoffs started coming more into picture. He can sign with one of those teams, as his time here is long past. He's not elevating us this year and he's not in the future. Let him go to where he can.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really was a waste of money! He seemed to never be on the same page as A.R. Good luck to him..but that money could have been spent elsewhere.

Reaction score
I’m relieved that we structured his contract on the super cheap for this type event. At least his financial impact was super minimal and he gave us time to get our rookies acclimated.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I thought this was an okay signing and the contract was minimal. In the end, it was a pretty bad signing. Still didn't hurt the pocketbook that much. We all knew his health issues, but even when he was healthy he was merely a jersey filler. I think his days in the NFL is over.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really was a waste of money! He seemed to never be on the same page as A.R. Good luck to him..but that money could have been spent elsewhere.
Seems like not many are on the same page as Rodgers. At least that's always the excuse, which I don't buy. Maybe ARod will start throwing to the open receiver instead of to the guy that is where he is supposed to be but not open. I was drinking the cool aid about Sammy but you are right. He just did not do it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes it is all Watkins...despite everyone struggling to get on same page with Aaron this year....not too mention also the dude has had a broken thumb and oblique hurt too....

ALL Watkins issue though...geesh. He was an insurance signing and while never was big play Sammy (except that one game he dropped over 90 yards in) however he wasn't terrible by any means. Fact is health continued to be an issue overall and young guys progressing make him not needed now.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was never in the right spot and looked confused out there..ALOT! He wasn't even serviceable. The Chiefs dumped a few of their wrs & brought in a few veterans..haven't missed a beat.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was never in the right spot and looked confused out there..ALOT! He wasn't even serviceable. The Chiefs dumped a few of their wrs & brought in a few veterans..haven't missed a beat.
Including Tareek who is probably the best in football. Yeah, especially the past few games Sammy looked really confused. I saw that too.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, you would think after 3/4 of a season he would not look so lost out there. The rookie wrs and Cobb have been better.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries are part of the game..can't control that. You would think he was playing video games instead of watching game film on his time off. He did do a good job blocking in the last game though. Hopefully the young guys can continue to prove that this was the right move.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm shocked that Watkins spent much of the season injured. I did not see that coming.

Sincerely,

Gutey

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers spent a total of $1.7 million of cap space on Watkins. That's not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

Seems like not many are on the same page as Rodgers. At least that's always the excuse, which I don't buy. Maybe ARod will start throwing to the open receiver instead of to the guy that is where he is supposed to be but not open.

Wide receivers have to be at the spot the quarterback expect them to be on most plays for them to work. Otherwise it's impossible for the QB to go through his progressions.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers spent a total of $1.7 million of cap space on Watkins. That's not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

Wide receivers have to be at the spot the quarterback expect them to be on most plays for them to work. Otherwise it's impossible for the QB to go through his progressions.
The Lazard play is a pretty good example. I'm not sure that ARod overthrew him. He may have put the ball where he thought Lazard should be (which was a place that was completely covered) instead of throwing the ball to a wide open receiver. It's not a computer game. And going through progressions can show an open receiver because he adjusted his route to go where the defenders aint.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Lazard play is a pretty good example. I'm not sure that ARod overthrew him. He may have put the ball where he thought Lazard should be (which was a place that was completely covered) instead of throwing the ball to a wide open receiver. It's not a computer game. And going through progressions can show an open receiver because he adjusted his route to go where the defenders aint.

Here's what Lazard had to say about the interception, actually taking the blame for it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Nixon is electric!

You think Nixon may have saved the ST coaches job

Nixon is a gem!

Sounds like Nixon might be playing some some slot.....not corner...but WR.

Head coach Matt LaFleur told reporters that cornerback Keisean Nixon has been begging him to play slot wide receiver. "LaFleur says Keisean Nixon has been campaigning to play slot — not slot corner, but slot receiver," Packers reporter Matt Schneidman said on Twitter.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Nixon might be playing some some slot.....not corner...but WR.

Head coach Matt LaFleur told reporters that cornerback Keisean Nixon has been begging him to play slot wide receiver. "LaFleur says Keisean Nixon has been campaigning to play slot — not slot corner, but slot receiver," Packers reporter Matt Schneidman said on Twitter.
Why not? Wouldn't hurt to give him some snaps & see if he brings his "electricity" to the offense as long as it doesn't take him away from returns.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts