Packers re-sign James Starks

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have zero problem with this move IF Ted would have addressed the much more prominent needs of this team ,D line Inside linebacker and TE 1st but for Ted to sit on his hands to help cover needs and a open wallet for vets on the roster at position of less or little need is ?..... just don't get it

This is TT at his finest people. I've stopped getting excited about free agency all together. This deal to James Starks just proves my theory that TT would rather overpay for his guys vs anyone else...regardless if their better or not. This is the same guy that cut Charles Woodson in favor of MD Jennings haha.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should have just signed a young and upcoming Lamar Miller if spending $3M on Starks, imo.
i think Miller wanted to be DA MAN!!! Which is why he wasnt happy in miami. In Texas, it will be the Lamar Miller Show. With Arian Foster sent to the glue factory...

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think Miller wanted to be DA MAN!!! Which is why he wasnt happy in miami. In Texas, it will be the Lamar Miller Show. With Arian Foster sent to the glue factory...

I think he just wanted to get paid, and he did. For a reasonable contract.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he was disgruntled last year. got his rear benched for fantasy playoffs.......

reminds me. i hate him.
Lmao....OK....Wherever you heard that? Not true. You're welcome.

He always wanted to stay in Miami. He played for the Miami U in college. It was his lifelong dream. The Dolphins were too stupid to keep him. That is what really happened.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lmao....OK....Wherever you heard that? Not true. You're welcome.

He always wanted to stay in Miami. He played for the Miami U in college. It was his lifelong dream. The Dolphins were too stupid to keep him. That is what really happened.
He had a couple games right at the end of the season where he got zilcho carries. everyone knew he was already not gonna get signed... He was pissed. Miller wanted the ball and be a star.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Should have just signed a young and upcoming Lamar Miller if spending $3M on Starks, imo.

Miller wanted to be a starter though. In addition the Packers couldn't have afforded to pay him $6.5 million per season.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad Starks is back with us. Last year he generated just under 1,000 total yards from
scrimmage which was good for 32nd overall in the league. He's also a very underrated
blocker and knows our system. I think his contract is fair given recent RB contracts for
Chris Johnson, etc.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad Starks is back with us. Last year he generated just under 1,000 total yards from
scrimmage which was good for 32nd overall in the league. He's also a very underrated
blocker and knows our system. I think his contract is fair given recent RB contracts for
Chris Johnson, etc.

I concur. Starks has been a solid, if not spectacular, contributor to this team year after year. Glad to have him back in the fold. Also, it's one less thing the Packers have to address in the draft.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
But ... but he can't be worth it because he's TT's guy. He never played for anyone else so obviously Thompson overpaid for him! [/sarcasm]

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post, except for the sarcasm. I'm a Starks fan, definitely wanted him back, definitely was surprised at what he got.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is not true. I'm sorry bro. lol
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/12/21/...ury-fantasy-football-miami-dolphins-jay-ajayi

I never heard about the quad injury. Ido remember him getting pulled and the rookie getting more carries than him. He was pissed if I remember right. He struck out in the fantasy playoffs. The week 17 our playoffs is over. i benched him weeks 16, after 14 and 15 were horrible...

But if you were reading up on what all the people who lost their season because Miller didnt get touches. It was speculated strongly that Miami had already decided to move on. As it turned out, they were right on the money... But I see where my comment was dead wrong. week 17 he got 19 carries.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't have wanted a cap hit bigger than 1.5 for Starks, 1M for Kuhn.

Agreed about Starks. The Packers should be able to re-sign Kuhn for the minimum of $985,000. Because of the veteran benefit he would only count $600K towards the cap though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed about Starks. The Packers should be able to re-sign Kuhn for the minimum of $985,000. Because of the veteran benefit he would only count $600K towards the cap though.

If they treat him like starks will pay him like 1.75million....ugh...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

FWIW the Cowboys signed Alfred Morris, who admittedly struggled last season but has had three seasons over 1,000 rushing yards and 29 TDs in his four year career, to a two-year, $3.5 million deal.

Still anyone out there believing the Packers didn´t overpay for Starks???

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW the Cowboys signed Alfred Morris, who admittedly struggled last season but has had three seasons over 1,000 rushing yards and 29 TDs in his four year career, to a two-year, $3.5 million deal.

I haven't seen the contract details, but the article in the link below states that Morris'
contract is worth up to $5.5 million for two years. In addition, the Cardinals gave
Chris Johnson $3 million per year and he missed significant time last year due to
injury.

http://nesn.com/2016/03/dallas-cowboys-alfred-morris-agree-on-two-year-free-agent-contract/

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't seen the contract details, but the article in the link below states that Morris'
contract is worth up to $5.5 million for two years. In addition, the Cardinals gave
Chris Johnson $3 million per year and he missed significant time last year due to
injury.

http://nesn.com/2016/03/dallas-cowboys-alfred-morris-agree-on-two-year-free-agent-contract/

According to Over The Cap Morris can earn another $1 million in escalators but he will only count $3.5 million towards the Cowboys cap over the next two seasons.

http://overthecap.com/player/alfred-morris/1412/

It has been posted several times on this forum that Johnson´s deal with Arizona is for $3 million but there isn´t any official information available about his deal. If that´s true and the Cardinals bring him back as their backup they overpaid for him as well.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wow. I really like Starks, but that's hard to swallow. If another team was willing to pay him $2.25 million, I'd be thrilled for him. But I'd rather have Morris for less money.

H

HardRightEdge

Morris is the second leading rush yard gainer over the last 4 years, behind only Peterson. Now lets look behind those numbers:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MorrAl00.htm

Morris' rushing production has been in steady decline in terms of yards, average and TDs, with drop offs from each year to the next. He wouldn't be the first RB whose abilities have been meaningfully diminished under the weight of a 290 carry average over the first 3 years. Despite having his workload reduced to 202 carries last season, the decline continued apace. In fact, some studies show RBs with a full workload starting in their rookie years typically show rapid decline at age 26. Call it the early career 1,000 carry mark.

Starks, on the other hand, had his most productive season in 2015 at age 29. That he runs counter to the age 26 barrier can be explained by his low career rushing attempts. Morris' career carries = 1078. Starks' career carries = 555, less than Morris' first 2 seasons. Starks has sustained the aggregate run game pounding of a 24 year old two-year bell cow.

While Starks' low mileage is partially attributable to being regularly injured over the years (Mr. Knee Sprain for a couple of years running), he stayed healthy throughout last season and didn't show any residual affects of those previous injuries.

Some Morris apologists observe that Washington's run blocking was sub-par last season, in part due to injuries at the TE position. That sounds familiar. While not being a particularly robust run blocking crew to start with, the Packers O-line were the walking wounded while the #1 TE is not much of a blocker. Starks was a more efficient runner than Morris based on yards per carry.

Let's consider versatility. Morris adds next to nothing as a receiver, with a season average of 12 catches for 91 yards. Those numbers are remarkably low for a guy on the field that much. I don't think we need to rehash Starks' good receiving numbers last season. We've already discussed the fact Starks was the offense's leading yards-from-scrimmage gainer at nearly 1,000 yards, considerably more than Morris, with that good run/pass versatility Morris can't touch.

Can Morris pass block? I honestly don't know. But given his lousy receiving record, he's a one-or-two down back not likely to be on the field in long yardage. Starks, over his career, has gone from bad to fairly decent as a blocker, has the 3rd. down profile for complementing a revitalized Lacy, while having enough chops to take over as a serviceable #1 back if Lacy falls flat.

So, yes, I think there is a good argument to be made for Starks over Morris. At a minimum, Morris-over-Starks is clearly not the slam dunk you make it out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts