Packers playing for Playoffs?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depack...

I may be wrong and often am, but I thought the divisional sched was set by the teams records- head to head- against simular opponents and not head to head against each other. You see they will play each other twice anyway, regardless.

Enlighten me, becuase I think Phil has a point here.

R.P.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct R.P.
First I hear that there is not much separating the Packers from the Bears and then it is the Bears "get" to play the lowly Packers twice a year.

Which is it? Are the Packers playoff material or bottom feeders? You can't jump back and forth and spin everything to try and strengthen your own argument.

This place has more flip-flops than a Wal-Mart in July.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct R.P.
First I hear that there is not much separating the Packers from the Bears and then it is the Bears "get" to play the lowly Packers twice a year.

Which is it? Are the Packers playoff material or bottom feeders? You can't jump back and forth and spin everything to try and strengthen your own argument.

They aren't playoff material and they aren't bottom feeders. They're somewhere in that middle ground of mediocrity.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
You are correct R.P.

They aren't playoff material and they aren't bottom feeders. They're somewhere in that middle ground of mediocrity.

Fair enough.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Phil knows full well that that the Packers have lost games they most definately outplayed their opponents and should have won and that the Bears have won a couple they should have lost.

He also knows that the Bears have half their starters from the '03 and 04 drafts yet wants to pick apart our "young" guys who have already shown they can play in this league. One more good draft and a couple of FA's and the game is on.

If the Bears didn't have the easiest friggin' schedule of any defending division champion I have ever seen they wouldn't be sitting where they are.

Let's see how many "blue" lines we get out of him after this three game road trip with "Mr. Pressure" Grossman out there. That guy is pathetic with any kind of rush thrown at him at all.

The mighty Bears with a QB that plays scared. Doesn't that just grate your butt Phil?

This may come as surprise to people who do not know how the scheduling in the NFL works but the Packers will pretty much share the same schedule with the teams in their own division.
That’s right. The Bears and the Packers play the same teams. Go and look up both teams schedules.
The Bears beat Arizona and Detroit and they are lucky to have such cream puffs on the schedule. The Packers beat the same teams and they have suddenly proved that they can play with anyone.
The Bears lose to Miami (a team that the Packers beat) and that proves just how good the Packers are. The Packers lose to Buffalo (a team that the Bears blew out) and it is more "we should have, could have" excuses.

You can spin it any way you like but in the end the Packers and Bears play the same teams and in the last 24 games the Bears are 18-6 while the Packers are 7-17 playing against the same competition.

Let me guess… someone will say “Wins and loses don’t tell the whole story”
They do if you are reading facts and history instead of fairytales.

How the hell does the relate to the topic at hand? No one said that the Packers were as good or better than the Bears. Chicago is a top 3 team in the entire NFL. The Packers are a solid team that will contine to improve.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers I think are playing about 20 times better than week 1 and are learning to play as a team instead of Brett forcing passes and the line not blocking. They will win some more football games and look good, but playoffs seems a little far away.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
warhawk said:
Phil knows full well that that the Packers have lost games they most definately outplayed their opponents and should have won and that the Bears have won a couple they should have lost.

He also knows that the Bears have half their starters from the '03 and 04 drafts yet wants to pick apart our "young" guys who have already shown they can play in this league. One more good draft and a couple of FA's and the game is on.

If the Bears didn't have the easiest friggin' schedule of any defending division champion I have ever seen they wouldn't be sitting where they are.

Let's see how many "blue" lines we get out of him after this three game road trip with "Mr. Pressure" Grossman out there. That guy is pathetic with any kind of rush thrown at him at all.

The mighty Bears with a QB that plays scared. Doesn't that just grate your butt Phil?

This may come as surprise to people who do not know how the scheduling in the NFL works but the Packers will pretty much share the same schedule with the teams in their own division.
That’s right. The Bears and the Packers play the same teams. Go and look up both teams schedules.
The Bears beat Arizona and Detroit and they are lucky to have such cream puffs on the schedule. The Packers beat the same teams and they have suddenly proved that they can play with anyone.
The Bears lose to Miami (a team that the Packers beat) and that proves just how good the Packers are. The Packers lose to Buffalo (a team that the Bears blew out) and it is more "we should have, could have" excuses.

You can spin it any way you like but in the end the Packers and Bears play the same teams and in the last 24 games the Bears are 18-6 while the Packers are 7-17 playing against the same competition.

Let me guess… someone will say “Wins and loses don’t tell the whole story”
They do if you are reading facts and history instead of fairytales.

How the hell does the relate to the topic at hand? No one said that the Packers were as good or better than the Bears. Chicago is a top 3 team in the entire NFL. The Packers are a solid team that will contine to improve.

You need to go back and read the posts on this forum.
By the way, what makes you feel that the Packers are a solid team?
4-12 and then 3-5?
Ranking 18th in the league in scoring, 21st in defense, 21st in punt retuns and 27th in turnover ratio? Those numbers are not even middle of the pack.
A 37 year old QB who cannot win the games for them any longer and is just about done?
The new coach and the in over his head G.M.?
The fact that they no longer have much of a home field advantage and have lost 13 of their last 21 games at Lambeau Field?

The only thing close to solid about any of this is "rock bottom"

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1706 and counting

6461 and counting.

I reckon when you hit 6500 Posts we should all have a Packer Forum Convention.

6500 as a number is very impressive and demands respect. It ranks up there with Ripkin's and Brett's Iron Man records.

When I talk to my Kid's 10 years from now..... I am going to tell them "I Was there When Trom hit his 6.500th Post on The Packer Fprum."

Let's look at the Packer Forum Location Map and pick a Central location, I shall book the Hotel and Room. I shall set up the audio and video.

We can all have name tags, and I will even hire TUPAC SHAKUR's former body gaurd team to run security and make sure that there shall be no deaths at the convention.

We can all Bond..... No matter if we are at 6.500 posts, 775, 480, or 1706.

Of Course.... The feature Speaker and Guest of Honor shall be TROM at 6.500

Pack66 shall be the speaker just before the second break, only becuase he paid for the time on stage.

Dress shall be business casual, and it will be a B.Y.O.B. event.

R.P.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
1706 and counting

6461 and counting.

I reckon when you hit 6500 Posts we should all have a Packer Forum Convention.

when I get 6500 please ban me for life.

RP, you crack me up! You're a good man. Forget a CONvention, I need an INTERvention.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to go back and read the posts on this forum.
By the way, what makes you feel that the Packers are a solid team?
4-12 and then 3-5?
Ranking 18th in the league in scoring, 21st in defense, 21st in punt retuns and 27th in turnover ratio? Those numbers are not even middle of the pack.
A 37 year old QB who cannot win the games for them any longer and is just about done?
The new coach and the in over his head G.M.?
The fact that they no longer have much of a home field advantage and have lost 13 of their last 21 games at Lambeau Field?

The only thing close to solid about any of this is "rock bottom"

Blah blah... dah bears still suck!!! :moon:

Yah yah, dah bears have done well last year and this year and the Packers haven't. Boy, that was a hard one to figure out! Thank you for that intriguing, well thought out analysis. :yawn:

The bears are having a good season. I suppose it's about time with the number of years of living at rock bottom. That has nothing to do with whether or not the Packers are a playoff team though. Obviously the team needs to clean up the mistakes and step up their play for the rest of the season to make it, but the talent is there. We started out at rock bottom and have improved -- thus the rankings that you listed.

All the other crap aside, players play to win! Yes, we can take something positive out of this season if we don't make the playoffs, but that has to be a goal. No one knows who will be back next year, but this is the team we have right now. Play to win this season! Play to win the game this week! That's what matters! Play to win now, that's the only way the team will get better.

GO PACK GO!!!

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers want to go to the playoffs, they must go 2-1 against the Vikes, Pats, and Hawks, in the next 3 weeks. If they can go at least 2-1 then they will be 5-6 going into their last five games, which are all winnable. They can beat the Jets, Lions, @49ers and Vikings. And if the Bears have the #1 seed wrapped up, then they will probably be resting their entire team. We could finish 10-6, which is basically a guaranteed playoff spot.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if the Bears have the #1 seed wrapped up, then they will probably be resting their entire team. We could finish 10-6, which is basically a guaranteed playoff spot.

I think it's unlikely that dah bears would rest for the last game of the season. There's no way they want to go into the playoffs after getting beat by the Packers in Chicago. If GB can pressure Grosman though, then they have a chance to win that game. It'll be interesting how the rest of the season plays out. Even so, if GB can finish 9-7 then they still have a good shot at a playoff spot.

GO PACK GO!!!

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction.....The Bears will have to beat The Pack just to make the playoffs in week 16.
I'm not saying The Packers are going to win the division, but Da Bears will be lucky to win 1 of their next 4 games, bringing them back to the rest of the NFC.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like the way you think, buckeye!! i hope that's how it turns out & favre smacks the crap outta the bears - a great way to end an otherwise crummy season! :D

mikegrubiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears are going to be whipped by the Giants this Sunday.

Even without Strahan and some other starters.

Count on it.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that I look at the Packers a bit differently than some do. It rankles me when they don't win the games they should. But it rankles the most because we tend to beat ourselves. People call it "inexperience". I call it carelessness and/or lack of concentration. I get angry at the thought that the coaching staff is learning on the job. That's unforgiveable, IMO. But I look forward to the future mainly for one reason....TT. (I can hear the groans now!) Yes, after watching MS botch up almost all of his drafts(with a few exceptions) I see TT bringing in young talent that give us real hope for the future, even some we can celebrate now as rookies. If we can win 7 games this year, I'm encouraged. If we can win 8, I'm very happy. But come what may, the future of the Packers is bright. We're not the Browns or Cardinals. It must be daunting to be their fans. Let's count our blessings.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can only picture a Jim Mora press conference years ago.
"Playoffs?" "Playoffs!!"

It is delusional to think the team that lost to the Rams and Bills is a playoff team. Now had they won those winable games and were 5-3 it might be possible.

One should consider if McCarthy will be retained as coach. The man who has to explain miscommunications after every game should be reminded that the last 3 Packer head coaches that failed to have a winning season were fired.

Playoffs? Playoffs!!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that I look at the Packers a bit differently than some do. It rankles me when they don't win the games they should. But it rankles the most because we tend to beat ourselves. People call it "inexperience". I call it carelessness and/or lack of concentration. I get angry at the thought that the coaching staff is learning on the job. That's unforgiveable, IMO. But I look forward to the future mainly for one reason....TT. (I can hear the groans now!) Yes, after watching MS botch up almost all of his drafts(with a few exceptions) I see TT bringing in young talent that give us real hope for the future, even some we can celebrate now as rookies. If we can win 7 games this year, I'm encouraged. If we can win 8, I'm very happy. But come what may, the future of the Packers is bright. We're not the Browns or Cardinals. It must be daunting to be their fans. Let's count our blessings.

Nice post. I agree with you. Ted Thompson is going to build this team through the Draft. So far we've got some quality players from this years draft and potentially our franchise QB from next years. I am looking forward to the future because of guys like Greg Jennings, AJ Hawk, Brady Poppinga (who has gotten much better as the year goes on) Aaron Kampman, Scott Wells, Daryn Colledge.. All those guys are young and all are up and comers. Kampman is doing what a lot of Shermans picks should of been doing and that's breaking out right now. As for playoffs I agree 7 wins is a good target. I think realistically they'll get 6. Next year I think will be the year to judge this front office and the future of this team.

OP
OP
A

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im glad this thread got back on topic. lol porky and grandpa, u guys are def right...its impossible to say that the Packers will go mistake free the rest of the season, beat up top NFL competition, and make it miraculously into the playoffs in the NFC where about 12 other teams have a chance at making the playoffs. Id love to see us win them all and hope i do see it, but im mainly looking for improvement, communication, and a improving defense!