Packers playing for Playoffs?

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im new in this forum, but ive been a Packer fan my entire life. Ive seen the glory and the shame. But ive never seen the rebuilding of a team. I feel this is the period of rebuilding for our team, but in many posts i see bashing and hate for the packers players or coaches. Keep in mind that the Packers arent playing for a post season spot. Also keep in mind that the Packers have one of the youngest teams in the NFL. Collins and Manuel are young players, they have talent but they also make mistakes...thats how it is with every player, yet people still criticize them. Favre makes mistakes, hes not perfect...look at Brady, he threw 4 int's last night. I feel like the expectations from the fans of this forum are too high. Take the games on at a time, and if we make it to the playoffs, we make it. But dont expect so much out of a team in a transition! It takes time and good coaching, so far i see many improvements from the defense, and running game. But we will see how things play out in the weeks to come. I for one think the Packers will have a strong chance at next seasons playoffs. Come on guys...lets get real about it. Go PACK!!

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
way to get outta the gate with your first post!!

welcome to you AND your refreshing outlook on the packers. :D

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im new in this forum, but ive been a Packer fan my entire life. Ive seen the glory and the shame. But ive never seen the rebuilding of a team. I feel this is the period of rebuilding for our team, but in many posts i see bashing and hate for the packers players or coaches. Keep in mind that the Packers arent playing for a post season spot. Also keep in mind that the Packers have one of the youngest teams in the NFL. Collins and Manuel are young players, they have talent but they also make mistakes...thats how it is with every player, yet people still criticize them. Favre makes mistakes, hes not perfect...look at Brady, he threw 4 int's last night. I feel like the expectations from the fans of this forum are too high. Take the games on at a time, and if we make it to the playoffs, we make it. But dont expect so much out of a team in a transition! It takes time and good coaching, so far i see many improvements from the defense, and running game. But we will see how things play out in the weeks to come. I for one think the Packers will have a strong chance at next seasons playoffs. Come on guys...lets get real about it. Go PACK!!

Yes expectations do tend to get to be high when you are playing for the Packers. We are not the Browns. We are the packers. We are Packer fans. I want to win every game. I dont think we will win every game but when there are problems they need to be pointed out. that is not having too high of expectaions. BTW welcome

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see your point and I don't disagree. Perhaps its a blessing and a curse, then, that the Packers actually are competitive. You look at a lot of rebuilding teams, and they aren't getting anyhing going, and very little yards on offense, for example. And if they are scoring, it is often in "garbage time" and they really are just trying to grow their players and find a rhythm.

The Packers, however, were on a two game win streak and they have been in several other games, including Sunday's, right up to the end, with a real chance to win. All this does is throw us all into a tizzy every week, like some sort of roller coaster.. some heartbreak involved. So I know that I'm pleased the Packers do have an offense that can be explosive and a defense that can shut things down at times.. but I also feel bummed that, rebuilding or not, they let a couple of games slip away.

All part of the learning process I guess. Again, your point is well taken.

I think the Packers have real talent, and I also think that many other teams around the league should be thanking their stars that so far, the Packers have mostly been shooting themselves in the foot (feet?).

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's fine and dandy to have your expectations set low and therefore not be disappointed by yesterday's performance. But that's not how many other posters feel, and therefore out come the angry posts over a frustrating result.

This team is good enough to make the playoffs, but that's not what matters to me this year. What I'm looking for is constant improvement. We're starting to get that and come together as a team. Now we're at the point where GB was the better team, but made mistakes to lose the game. Next step is to be the underdog and find a way to win. Then we need to be the better team and win.

We'll likely have to wait until next year to be on top again, but it's a progression of consistent improvement. IMO, with such a young team, that's all you can hope for. Teach these guys how to win together and we'll be back on top again.

GO PACK GO!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
This team is good enough to make the playoffs

I dont recall hearing much of this after week 1.

He's right. A lot of young players, and some experiments(manuel, can only be described as a botched experiment, hes not really young). Also a young head coach, who most people think they can be better than for some reason.

Next year, after a full year of NFL action for the young guys, and with less holes to fill, will be a competing year, and if it isn't, then someone has to go.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id say MM. TT is stocking this team with talent galore, with some bad decisions (Klemm,Manuel).

If it turns out MM isnt the guy (and thats not even close to being decided) then he should go.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Bobby, your wish of an upset as an underdog will come true next Sunday.

That would be perfect! The dream is alive! Then we maybe can get a few more.

I'd love to watch us take out da Bears at Lambeau south in a meaningful game, but they need to lose more to make it meaningful.

GO PACK GO!!!

OP
OP
A

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with u tromadz, next year should show our true potential if there are improvements made this year, which is on schedule so far. The loss against the Bills was played well up to the 4th quarter except that 1st n 1 pass....that was just a big mistake... and the fumbles. im just glad Ahman Green is back and 3 games over 100 yards each. Next week should be fun!

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Packers arent playing for a post season spot.

Please explain this because it makes no sense at all. Every Team plays for a post season spot, they all want to be called the best and be the ones holding up the trophy in the end. Your basically saying the pack go out on sundays to lose.

joshm4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree the defense has improved tremendesly and our ground attack aint lookin so bad now with ahman running 100+ yards vs buffalo our passing is ok. and favre is still the best but he has made some mistakes and people are realizing that now that were losing. when we were 10-6 if brett threw a pick i wouldnt really notice but when i see that weve lost i immediatly turn to the stats page in my newspaper to see how many ints he therw. but most people r still critizing us because were still in shock that we went from 10-6 division champs to 4-12 and for that reason we have to make reasons of y were so badbut we will definatly do better than last year because our young players r getting better. with everyone improving i see us at 6-10 at the end of the year and back above .500 in the 08 season
but until that time comes we just need to rough it out and hold on for the ride

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we aren't playing for a playoff spot at the beginning of the year we shouldn't show up. Of course we are playing for the playoffs. This is just a copout for poor play, poor coaching and poor GMing. I don't remember the team telling us that they weren't playing for a playoff position and if any one of them thought that, they should have been fired. What a loser mentality!

OP
OP
A

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
abztractmynd said:
Keep in mind that the Packers arent playing for a post season spot.

Please explain this because it makes no sense at all. Every Team plays for a post season spot, they all want to be called the best and be the ones holding up the trophy in the end. Your basically saying the pack go out on sundays to lose.

What i meant is that the Packers most likely wont make it into the playoffs this season, thats why they arent playing for a post season spot. Every team does play for post season, but at this point in the year it doesn't look like the Packers will make it. Which means they are playing to improve and become a better team and win as many games as they can.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are playing for a playoff spot. Every team does.

Realistically there probably not going to get in. There playing for respect and the future. If this team wins 7 games this year and Favre comes back for next year I honestly think with an off-season similar to this one we can make a run at the playoffs next year.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having a young team does not mean that you are a year or two away from being a good team. There are lots of young players in the NFL.

Houston has a young team and they have struggled from day one. The Bengals spent years as a young team while picking at the top of the draft and they sucked for 20 years.
How about Detroit?
On top of that your starting QB and the man that most of you believe to be your best player and best chance to win is just about at the end of his career.

This is not a team that is on the way up. This is a team that was in decline for several years and now they are right where they should be. Things can actually get worse before they get better. (See Oakland Raiders)

Another strike against the Packers is that when they are a bad team, and right now they are headed for another losing season, they are not a very attractive destination and will struggle to lure free agents to play for them. Most NFL players have nothing in common with the people that live in the Green Bay area or the life style that they offer. With out that chance at a Super Bowl they will not come.

Happy thoughts do not suddenly fill your roster with pro bowl players.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
way to get outta the gate with your first post!!

welcome to you AND your refreshing outlook on the packers. :D

Your positivity-ness makes my teeth chatter in anger.

oh quit complaining...until it makes your nips hard, i don't wanna hear it!!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having a young team does not mean that you are a year or two away from being a good team. There are lots of young players in the NFL.

Houston has a young team and they have struggled from day one. The Bengals spent years as a young team while picking at the top of the draft and they sucked for 20 years.
How about Detroit?
On top of that your starting QB and the man that most of you believe to be your best player and best chance to win is just about at the end of his career.

This is not a team that is on the way up. This is a team that was in decline for several years and now they are right where they should be. Things can actually get worse before they get better. (See Oakland Raiders)

Another strike against the Packers is that when they are a bad team, and right now they are headed for another losing season, they are not a very attractive destination and will struggle to lure free agents to play for them. Most NFL players have nothing in common with the people that live in the Green Bay area or the life style that they offer. With out that chance at a Super Bowl they will not come.

Happy thoughts do not suddenly fill your roster with pro bowl players.

Wow! What a bunch of crying over fans being optimistic about their own team.

You are correct that there are many examples of crappy young teams that never turn out to be good. Along with that, there are many examples of struggling young teams that turn out to be great. IMO (and several others) GB is in the second group. Of course that comes from a fan with Green and Gold glasses on, just as your assessment comes from a rival with blue and orange (talk about butt ugly colors) glasses on.

With that being said, thanks for showing up! It's hillarious to have a bears fan on here get upset about Packers fans showing support for a team that just lost to a weak opponent. Wait a second, how did the bears fair this week against a very weak opponent??

GO PACK GO!!!

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just cant understand how a team that is exactly one game back in the wildcard race isnt playing for a playoff spot. Its not like you are 3 games back, its one game. Get a grip, relax, and realize your packers are in the hunt.

That doesnt mean you are gonna make it, or that you are a favorite, but you are ONE game back at the halfway point, doesnt exactly make you a long shot.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil knows full well that that the Packers have lost games they most definately outplayed their opponents and should have won and that the Bears have won a couple they should have lost.

He also knows that the Bears have half their starters from the '03 and 04 drafts yet wants to pick apart our "young" guys who have already shown they can play in this league. One more good draft and a couple of FA's and the game is on.

If the Bears didn't have the easiest friggin' schedule of any defending division champion I have ever seen they wouldn't be sitting where they are.

Let's see how many "blue" lines we get out of him after this three game road trip with "Mr. Pressure" Grossman out there. That guy is pathetic with any kind of rush thrown at him at all.

The mighty Bears with a QB that plays scared. Doesn't that just grate your butt Phil?

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with u tromadz, next year should show our true potential if there are improvements made this year, which is on schedule so far. The loss against the Bills was played well up to the 4th quarter except that 1st n 1 pass....that was just a big mistake... and the fumbles. im just glad Ahman Green is back and 3 games over 100 yards each. Next week should be fun!

Oh of course! We played beautiful until that pass in the fourth quarter. I think you should rewatch that game. 3 bad snaps in the first couple quarters, dropped passes by Ahman Green/Bubba/DD had one. And our special teams sucked! We played "well"

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil knows full well that that the Packers have lost games they most definately outplayed their opponents and should have won and that the Bears have won a couple they should have lost.

He also knows that the Bears have half their starters from the '03 and 04 drafts yet wants to pick apart our "young" guys who have already shown they can play in this league. One more good draft and a couple of FA's and the game is on.

If the Bears didn't have the easiest friggin' schedule of any defending division champion I have ever seen they wouldn't be sitting where they are.

Let's see how many "blue" lines we get out of him after this three game road trip with "Mr. Pressure" Grossman out there. That guy is pathetic with any kind of rush thrown at him at all.

The mighty Bears with a QB that plays scared. Doesn't that just grate your butt Phil?

This may come as surprise to people who do not know how the scheduling in the NFL works but the Packers will pretty much share the same schedule with the teams in their own division.
That’s right. The Bears and the Packers play the same teams. Go and look up both teams schedules.
The Bears beat Arizona and Detroit and they are lucky to have such cream puffs on the schedule. The Packers beat the same teams and they have suddenly proved that they can play with anyone.
The Bears lose to Miami (a team that the Packers beat) and that proves just how good the Packers are. The Packers lose to Buffalo (a team that the Bears blew out) and it is more "we should have, could have" excuses.

You can spin it any way you like but in the end the Packers and Bears play the same teams and in the last 24 games the Bears are 18-6 while the Packers are 7-17 playing against the same competition.

Let me guess… someone will say “Wins and loses don’t tell the whole story”
They do if you are reading facts and history instead of fairytales.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

This may come as surprise to people who do not know how the scheduling in the NFL works but the Packers will pretty much share the same schedule with the teams in their own division.
That’s right. The Bears and the Packers play the same teams. Go and look up both teams schedules.
The Bears beat Arizona and Detroit and they are lucky to have such cream puffs on the schedule. The Packers beat the same teams and they have suddenly proved that they can play with anyone.
The Bears lose to Miami (a team that the Packers beat) and that proves just how good the Packers are. The Packers lose to Buffalo (a team that the Bears blew out) and it is more "we should have, could have" excuses.

You can spin it any way you like but in the end the Packers and Bears play the same teams and in the last 24 games the Bears are 18-6 while the Packers are 7-17 playing against the same competition.

Let me guess… someone will say “Wins and loses don’t tell the whole story”
They do if you are reading facts and history instead of fairytales.

Actually you are wrong. The bears play the 4-12 Packers twice whereas the Packers play the 11-5 bears twice. That's a 14 game difference. Hardly seems fair to me :shrug:

Members online

Latest posts