Packers Pick #3 Kyler Fackrell - Utah OLB

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like Fackrell will be a situational pass rusher this year and get a chance to learn behind Peppers and Perry. He's an outside linebacker. Peppers and Perry are free agents after this season. Packers will try to mold him as an eventual replacement.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question I have is I don't see how his college game translates to the NFL. He only runs a 4.72 so o coordinators will send rb's at him and make him cover. He'S thin in the arms and lacks upper body strength. Good luck shedding a block. He's a long term project not usually the type of player that gets picked in the third round. TT reached again.

Clay Matthews ran a 4.67.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Fackrell is an excellent pick at the end of the third round. He has excellent hands allowing him to employ a second move if his initial one is stoned, has the bend teams want in a 3-4 outside linebacker (the position he played in college), can kick inside and beat guards rushing the passer as well as drop into coverage.

He has to add weight to improve his run defense and significantly improve his bull rush though. He will most likely be a designated pass rusher early in his career at the pro level and hopefully be able to turn into an every down player at some point.

Hopefully the Packers don't plan on moving him inside as that hasn't worked at all with several players best suited to play outside already.
I agree with you. There's no way TT spent a 3rd rounder on a kid that's going to basically redshirt. He could easily put on a quality 10 pounds between now and the season. This is a grown man we're talking about so I have no concerns about him taking care of his business. I think he could surprise some people in pass rush situations and prove useful as well in zone blitz packages. The more I chew on this the better I like it. He's obviously flawed, hence the 3rd round status, but has plenty of intangibles which should pay dividends during the regular season.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you. There's no way TT spent a 3rd rounder on a kid that's going to basically redshirt. He could easily put on a quality 10 pounds between now and the season. This is a grown man we're talking about so I have no concerns about him taking care of his business. I think he could surprise some people in pass rush situations and prove useful as well in zone blitz packages. The more I chew on this the better I like it. He's obviously flawed, hence the 3rd round status, but has plenty of intangibles which should pay dividends during the regular season.
TT spent a third rounder on Thornton. He's more long term than a redshirt. He spent a fourth on Bradford he's a project player. TT has selected project players in the third and fourth round before I see Fackrell filling the same mold.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What is a reach to people. Brandt had hino at 77 on his board. Thus was not abreach. You can question the fit or even say scouts are wrong but it isn't a reach because it is actually later than some saw him going

A reach is when posters are sure their assessment is correct, and the entire scouting dept are cluless

H

HardRightEdge

I'll confess to an error. I mistakenly thought I was looking at a 2015 tape when reviewing this one from 2013:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

There is little question "spastic in space" applies to this earlier performance.

While he still gets all arms and legs at times, the improvement is drastic, particularly considering he missed 2014. This suggests upside. As a 3rd. round pick I'm on board; the edge rush potential is evident.

On thing that does concern me is he looks about as slight in 2015 as in 2013, which raises a question as to whether he can put on good weight. I'd like to think the pro training table will make the difference that's needed, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Like Spriggs, this is a 2017 pick. The only OLB under contract for 2017 at this time is Clay Matthews.

H

HardRightEdge

The question I have is I don't see how his college game translates to the NFL. He only runs a 4.72 so o coordinators will send rb's at him and make him cover. He'S thin in the arms and lacks upper body strength. Good luck shedding a block. He's a long term project not usually the type of player that gets picked in the third round. TT reached again.
Capers rarely asks his OLBs to cover other than the occasional zone drop.

Reaction score
Like many, I had little information on this pick. After watching his tape I feel like his strengths are his natural pass rush, his upper body quickness in shedding blocks and last but not least his motor.
Although Kyler may not have been directly involved on many plays..Kyler never gives up and thus becomes an "opportunistic" player. I saw where he benefited multiple times on tipped passes, fumbles etc.. And when he becomes involved he makes teams pay by finishing nicely with good hands, ball seeking instincts and a strong trunk.
As an immediate need? Kyler is a bit raw IMO. Kyler has ST teams written all over him. I think with some tutelage might surprise some of us after some seasoning and be a another "Eric Walden" type impact player that can rise to the occasion when it matters most (plays with heart)
What I do find interesting is that TT seems to be more leaning more "positional need" this year so far and I'm glad because we don't need "flashy", we need guys that will "wear well" like this pick.
Someone else said above he looks like a wild pony and I sorta agree. I think our staff will harness this energy and get him polished

H

HardRightEdge

Anybody else realize he's going to be 25 years-old this season?
They expect him to be a player by 2017, so he will need to hurry up regardless of his age.

Age is not necessarily a function of the calendar. It's more a question of mileage and the accumulated beatings a guy has taken from HS through into the pros by the time he hits the magical 30 mark..

It's why Starks got a 2 year contract...he missed his senior year in college to injury and hasn't taken all that many snaps in the pros.

Fackrell hasn't played all that much football, so consider him a "young 30".

I've heard it said that Alabama's poor showing in this draft is partly a function of Saban having put a lot of wear on his guys, though I can't say I have a first-hand observation on that score.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT spent a third rounder on Thornton. He's more long term than a redshirt. He spent a fourth on Bradford he's a project player. TT has selected project players in the third and fourth round before I see Fackrell filling the same mold.
Khyri didn't/doesn't have the passion and drive to play in the league. Bradford went through a position change and has one last chance to prove his worth. Fackrell will be playing the same role he played at US and has years of experience doing so in the 3-4 scheme. The kid has months to beef up and I expect him to so just that. I don't see much correlation between the 3 other than draft placement. We simply disagree on his role this upcoming season. No sweat.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll confess to an error. I mistakenly thought I was looking at a 2015 tape when reviewing this one from 2013:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

There is little question "spastic in space" applies to this earlier performance.

While he still gets all arms and legs at times, the improvement is drastic, particularly considering he missed 2014. This suggests upside. As a 3rd. round pick I'm on board; the edge rush potential is evident.

On thing that does concern me is he looks about as slight in 2015 as in 2013, which raises a question as to whether he can put on good weight. I'd like to think the pro training table will make the difference that's needed, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Like Spriggs, this is a 2017 pick. The only OLB under contract for 2017 at this time is Clay Matthews.

He didn't put on much but consider his responsibilities, recovered from an acl injury, full-time student and full time Dad. I have to imagine that losing the classes will get him a couple extra hours in the weight room a week.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thorton lacked mentally, is he even on a team anymore? I don't expect this guy to bulk up a lot. He's long and lean. He's 25, not 18 or even 20. He's played OLB, I assume he's been working out? Anyone can gain 20 pounds, that isn't difficult. But thinking a well conditioned, physically mature athlete is going to just add 10-20lbs of muscle over a summer without PED's is not very realistic.

H

HardRightEdge

He didn't put on much but consider his responsibilities, recovered from an acl injury, full-time student and full time Dad. I have to imagine that losing the classes will get him a couple extra hours in the weight room a week.
Weights? The guy has to eat!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it. Worst case he sees situational play expected to cover space...I won't bring up trying him at ILB but he could grow into a Dime backer in a year or two given his coverag...but he still needs to add some weight most likely.
I will. Play him at ILB!!!!

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT reached with Jordy to........ No one has a clue how these guys will turn out relax and enjoy

H

HardRightEdge

He's come to the right place. Wisco may be average in body weight but Green Bay is a hefty city.
Beer carbs and cheese ought to do it, supplemented by keg tosses.

I grew up in Milwaukee during the Lombardi years, so I know these things and I know they have not changed. Still a Braves fan too. :(

Staff online

Members online