1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers Pick #3 Kyler Fackrell - Utah OLB

Discussion in '2016 Draft Archive' started by longtimefan, Apr 29, 2016.

1. bubba

bubba Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I watched some videos of this guy on you tube and it was very underwhelming. Dropped in coverage a lot maybe they didn't utilize him to his strengths. I hope.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. thequick12

thequick12 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Clay Matthews ran a 1.49 10 yard spilt. A number that is far more important to front seven players. This dude looks slow off the ball could be cuz he's so tall but peppers is tall and he looks way faster off the snap. Granted peppers is a future hall of farmer.

3. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Had no idea Julius was so good at gardening. Let me guess, he is known for his peppers.

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Fackrell did put together a 121 inch broad jump. Thats indicative of an explosive first step. I think a good part of it is his height.

5. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I thought that was Peter? Relation?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Thornton's currently on the Lions roster. He appeared in six games for them last season playing a total of 102 snaps on defense for them last season.

While I agree the Packers were in dire need of an inside linebacker it seems Thompson rated Fackrell ahead of any ILB still left on the board. With Peppers, Perry and Datone headed for free agency in 2017 it made sense to add an edge rusher.

According to NFL Draft Scout both Matthews and Fackrell had a 10 yard split of 1.61 at the combine.

• Informative Informative x 4
  7. XPack

XPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Hopefully Blake Martinez becomes a immediate starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thequick12

thequick12 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    According to NFL Draft Scout both Matthews and Fackrell had a 10 yard split of 1.61 at the combine

NFL Draft scout is wrong on that one.

9. PackerDNA

PackerDNA Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    That's one of my expectations/predictions for next season.

10. jetfixer

jetfixer Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Hopefully he is good enough to start and improve our defense.........it doesn't mean a huge deal to start over our guys.

11. SoonerPack

SoonerPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Going from Utah State to the Packers strength and conditioning program can easily achieve 10 lbs of muscle. I really don't see the counter argument but we'll find out in a few months I suppose. Everything from dietary assistance to world class strength coaches will be at this guys disposal. I'm sure the U.S. program was plenty fine but in no way can compare to the facilities/coaching he will be receiving in GB.

12. SoonerPack

SoonerPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I may be in the minority but still have high hopes for Jake Ryan. His athleticism is under valued and with a full year of seasoning I am expecting a much more aggressive, confident ILB to show up come camp. Furthermore he bounced back and forth between ILB and OLB at Michigan and now finally has a solidified role and I can only see that helping his game. I think Mr Ryan is going to surprise some folks and wind up being a gem for Teddy.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I expect Barrington and Ryan to play in base defense but Martinez will see a lot of snaps in subpackages with the starters to battle for lining up next to him in nickel.

14. SoonerPack

SoonerPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I think the optimistic rating is funny. We're all doing one thing and that's speculating. To assume Jake has plateaued one year in is unfair to the kid. Fact remains his athleticism is underrated and the point of him bouncing back and forth from ILB to OLB at Michigan has to be considered. I'll stick to my guns no matter how optimistic it may sound. G P G

15. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

I saw some flashes toward the end of last season that leads me to believe that Jake Ryan can be an above average ILB in our defense. Hes capable of doing some good things for us. I don't think Blake will start. But he'll see a ton of playing time however. In 2017, Jake and Blake will mostly likely be our starting two ILB's.

16. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I don't consider being optimistic as a negative thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Best thing I read this week. Yeah, we're only two days in but nonetheless....

Come to think of it, maybe he grows the fruit essential to the Orange Julius.

[Not as good as yours, but sumpin sumpin.]

18. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    That's right, so long as there's some basis for it. Otherwise it's just wishful thinking.

19. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I expressed the same optimism about Ryan on a couple of occasions over the last couple of months for much the same reasons. I got an "optimistic" as well. Call it "tradition". ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I was a big fan of Jake's pick last year, and I love his motor. Dude reminds me a lot of Hawk, but at a much cheaper draft slot for it. I think his motor helps him "cover" better than he should be able to, and you could see his instincts and the game speed finally gelling towards the end of the year this past year.

Ryan to me will be around a while. Never going to be a STUD, but solid above average ILB I think is his future....regardless of how Barrington and Martinez pan out.

21. SoonerPack

SoonerPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    It's certainly subjective. It could be used to describe a sense of hope but could also be used to make it seem one is drinking the kool-aid. I try to stay positive unless someone or some thing gives me enough reason to go negative.

It's just like texts. You could mean one thing and the person on the other end interprets your message the complete opposite.

22. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    i've only given the optimistic rating 2 or 3 times because it's strange, but i've generally meant it to be interpreted somewhat similar to the funny+friendly rating. i don't see it as a bad thing either.