Packers Pick #3 Kyler Fackrell - Utah OLB

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Kyler Fackrell from Utah

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/kyler-fackrell?id=2555340

Strengths
Premium length and athleticism. Played quarterback and wide receiver in high school and lettered in basketball and volleyball.

Rangy tackler who is able to shadow the ball all over the field. Has length and arm extension to punch and control the point of attack.

Functional strength is good enough against the run. Has length and motor for tremendous tackle radius. Had 80 tackles or more in each of his last three full seasons.

Had just five sacks, but often dropped into space. Potential is there to become plus pass rusher.

Combines forward lean, hip explosion and long arms to crank up speed-to-power pocket push. Upfield burst covers substantial ground in first three steps.

Has upper body turn and shoulder dip to slip under tackle’s shoulder and around the corner. Don’t sleep on his cover ability in space.

Weaknesses
Missed the entire 2014 season with an ACL tear.

Can improve his hand play as pass rusher at the high side of his rush. When edge rush stalls out, has average counter attack.

Long-strider who struggles to make sudden inside moves once he gets going upfield.

High center of gravity combined with lean lower half make it difficult to play through redirect blocks with contact balance.

Draft Projection
Round 3

NFL Comparison
Connor Barwin

Bottom Line
When it comes to the length and athleticism teams will look for off the edge, Fackrell will be one of the poster boys.

His field versatility, coverage talent and potential as a pass rusher could make him one of the fastest rising prospects in this draft and a future contender for a Pro Bowl nod.

Last edited:

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
So Ted drafted D-Line in the first round, O-Tackle in the 2nd (after trading up to steal him away from the suckhole Bears...snicker), and LB in the 3rd, our three biggest positions of need.

We'll have to see about Clark but I like the other two a lot.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Ted drafted D-Line in the first round, O-Tackle in the 2nd (after trading up to steal him away from the suckhole Bears...snicker), and LB in the 3rd, our three biggest positions of need.

We'll have to see about Clark but I like the other two a lot.

I think you'll like Clark. You're avatar has me considering moving to Chicago.:D

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fackrell is a big man pulling for billings still or scooby wright TE and rb need next

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never heard of him before now. He looked good on that highlight reel, and even better on the tape I saw of him.

I saw the word "tackle radius" mentioned in the scouting report, and that's what I see. He gets all over the field to make plays. I see the pass rush ability as well.

I'm happy with the last 2 picks. It makes me have faith in them once again, and that Clark will turn out to be the right pick, though I'm not sure I see it yet.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fackeln isn't fast and he isn't strong. He will need to develop for a year or two. He will likely make the team but be inactive or a special teams player as he tries to fill out. For a guy that weighs 245 he only benches 225 -15 times. NFL O linemen will eat him up unless he gets a lot stronger. Facktell is a long term project. He doesn't have the speed at a 4.72 40 to cover running backs or quick tight ends so he will have to be able to rush the passer at some point.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never heard of fackrell . Can he be a starter?
Doubtful starter for a year or two. He just isn't fast enough nor strong enough. Fackrell's athleticism is lacking he will really have to be a work out warrior for a while.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubtful starter for a year or two. He just isn't fast enough nor strong enough. Fackrell's athleticism is lacking he will really have to be a work out warrior for a while.
It sounds like you're just looking at a combine result sheet. You can see the athleticism and play strength on his tape is clearly better than you stated.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it. Worst case he sees situational play expected to cover space...I won't bring up trying him at ILB but he could grow into a Dime backer in a year or two given his coverag...but he still needs to add some weight most likely.

H

HardRightEdge

I looked at some tape after this pick. A phrase popped into may mind that I've never used or heard anyone use: "spastic in space." It just seems to fit. He's all gangly and not in control of his body away from the line. He's our very own newborn pony. Lots of development ahead.

Go look...there are several tapes on youtube.

I'm not sure where they're looking to play him. The length suggest OLB eventually, I guess, after physical development, but he doesn't appear to have the native pass rushing skills for this level. If that doesn't work out he gets to try ILB I guess, where seemingly every failed OLB gets his shot.

Puzzling pick, though no more puzzling than some of the grades kicking around I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched his USC tape. Honestly I think he has better burst than he's given credit for. He seems to accelerate very fast in game which is reflected by a 121 inch foot broad jump. Perhaps his initial quicks aren't appreciated because of his length? He does do a good job dipping his pads and getting low around the corner and he's pretty good in his drops. He also seems to have pretty good balance, a knack for staying on his feet. He seems to have a knack. Eh I think he's a good value guy with some real upside after a year in the weight room.

Last edited:

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fackeln isn't fast and he isn't strong. He will need to develop for a year or two. He will likely make the team but be inactive or a special teams player as he tries to fill out. For a guy that weighs 245 he only benches 225 -15 times. NFL O linemen will eat him up unless he gets a lot stronger. Facktell is a long term project. He doesn't have the speed at a 4.72 40 to cover running backs or quick tight ends so he will have to be able to rush the passer at some point.
He will play early and often. We definitely disagree on this one but that's the beauty of the draft. I'm liking the picks thus far and expect a strong finish tomorrow.

P

proudsoftballdad

I think he could very well end up inside he has the coverage skills and could certainly cover sideline to sideline ,maybe he works inside this year and slides outside next year after we lose a couple ?

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they should've taken Scooby Wright from UOfA in the 3rd. I think he could've been the hard hitter they are missing in the middle. The guy plays with fire too. Who ever gets him now will get a steal. Hope TT finds a way to get him. But knowing TT he will get a Dlineman in the 4th

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO Fackrell is an excellent pick at the end of the third round. He has excellent hands allowing him to employ a second move if his initial one is stoned, has the bend teams want in a 3-4 outside linebacker (the position he played in college), can kick inside and beat guards rushing the passer as well as drop into coverage.

He has to add weight to improve his run defense and significantly improve his bull rush though. He will most likely be a designated pass rusher early in his career at the pro level and hopefully be able to turn into an every down player at some point.

Hopefully the Packers don't plan on moving him inside as that hasn't worked at all with several players best suited to play outside already.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mad Stork II?
Lol. I was thinking the same thing.

I don't remember reading anything about him. It seems like opinions on him are all over the board. This is what Walter Football had to say about him, where he is ranked #8 and a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Kyler Fackrell, OLB, Utah State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 244. Arm: 32.25. Hand: 10.25.
40 Time: 4.72.
Projected Round (2016): 2-3.
4/27/16: In 2015, Fackrell had 82 tackles with 15 for a loss and four sacks. He is a well-balanced defender who can contribute in both phases. Fackrell has the ability to drop into pass coverage and blitz off the edge. At the Senior Bowl, he had a quietly impressive week. Fackrell did not stand out at the combine.

8/24/15: At the beginning of the 2014 season, Fackrell went out with a torn ACL. He had a quality sophomore season and provided another good impact for Utah State. He totaled 13 tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles, five sacks, 82 tackles, one interception and a pass broken up in 2013. Fackrell became a starter in 2012 and was a First-Team All-WAC selection. The redshirt freshman totaled 87 tackles with eight tackles for a loss, three sacks, three interceptions, three passes broken up and two forced fumbles. Fackrell has a nice combination of size and quickness.

When I look for Packer prospects, one of the first things I look for is doing well at the Senior Bowl. I guess I just missed him, otherwise I would have considered him.

BTW: Screw NFL network for their lousy coverage. This pick was the first one they didn't cover with the announcement. They went to commercial and when they came back they started talking about another pick. They displayed the pick on the tracker. The hosts never even mentioned it.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question I have is I don't see how his college game translates to the NFL. He only runs a 4.72 so o coordinators will send rb's at him and make him cover. He'S thin in the arms and lacks upper body strength. Good luck shedding a block. He's a long term project not usually the type of player that gets picked in the third round. TT reached again.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question I have is I don't see how his college game translates to the NFL. He only runs a 4.72 so o coordinators will send rb's at him and make him cover. He'S thin in the arms and lacks upper body strength. Good luck shedding a block. He's a long term project not usually the type of player that gets picked in the third round. TT reached again.

What is a reach to people. Brandt had hino at 77 on his board. Thus was not abreach. You can question the fit or even say scouts are wrong but it isn't a reach because it is actually later than some saw him going

D

Deleted member 6794

Fackrell will enter next season primarily as a pass rusher and hopefully not be asked to defend the run or cover backs or tight ends. He will have to add some weight but if he can improve his bull rush should be able to be a productive pass rusher at the pro level.

Members online

Latest posts