Packers pick #1---Kenny Clark UCLA DL

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
yeah watch both Clark and Ragland will both suck. :eek:
I don't think Clark will suck. I just think Ragland potentially was the better fit and the better player for the Packers. TT sees it differently and it could be the aorta thing. But remove that from the equation and Ragland was a top 20 guy....Clark......25-40 guy.

H

HardRightEdge

What comes over Thompson with these first round picks? He puts on his idiot cap and panics.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad we at least went defense and took a need, but Thompson has a very poor track record with D linemen in the 1st.

I'll wait and see what we do in the 2nd, but I seriously question Thompson's competency if he thinks that Barrington and Ryan in the middle won't be a major weakness.

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's what all of our complaints are...he may be a good player but we need a great player!!

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone out there seriously believe that Elliot wolf thought this was a great pic??

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What comes over Thompson with these first round picks? He puts on his idiot cap and panics.

I almost think he didn't expect anyone but Clark to still be there at #27. History will play this out, but there seems to have been a handful of guys rated higher then Clark that TT may have whiffed on.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else remember the forum freak out after Randall and somewhat after Rollins last year?

Should certainly give it time before hating the pick.

Hey, anyone remember the last time TT drafted a decent DL in the first round? Don't say Datone.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kendricks would have been the better pick, just as "we" said. Second chance with Ragland, a better football player, and Thompson blew it.

So I searched the initial thread on Randall last year.

Interestingly, you were the first post and said,

"WTF

Grade: D

Unless they think they can convert him to a CB, this pick is inexplicable.

Oh, wait...Burnett must be moving to ILB. :sleep:"

Might want to wait a little bit this time.

H

HardRightEdge

So I searched the initial thread on Randall last year.

Interestingly, you were the first post and said,

"WTF

Grade: D

Unless they think they can convert him to a CB, this pick is inexplicable.

Oh, wait...Burnett must be moving to ILB. :sleep:"

Might want to wait a little bit this time.
Yeah, I've waited a year and Kendricks was the better pick. And maybe Burnett will be moved to ILB this year to give all these tweener ILB / box safety fans something to cheer about. ;)

By the way, Randall is still a better free safety than perimeter corner.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark is going to be a destructive beast! State wrestling champ means he will beat most al men his size. I found out tonight he is only 20. This is a great pick imo!!! He needs to play de.

Mathews, clark, guion, daniels, peppers..........................

H

HardRightEdge

Mathews, clark, guion, daniels, peppers..........................[/QUOTE]

Not guion, clark, daniels? He looks more like a nose than guion.

P

proudsoftballdad

I think most of you were right and wrong on your opinions of this pick I agree there were better deff lineman available at 27 but I think where the separation needs to be is was there a better nose tackle available? to that I say no Clark was clearly the best nose tackle in this class ,many have also said they don't think Clark will bring much for a couple years while I understand 20 is young for a NT one thing stood out to me was the fact that he STARTED as a 17 year old freshmen in the Pacific 10 300 proud 21 20 year Olds vs a 17 he will be OK I like the pick.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not seeing a nose. Sorry. He is a daniels type, do all de for our 3-4 imo. Pennell and guion can rotate nose. Guion did pretty good at nose when raji tore his biceps. He gets some rush from the position.

P

proudsoftballdad

Im not seeing a nose. Sorry. He is a daniels type, do all de for our 3-4 imo. Pennell and guion can rotate nose. Guion did pretty good at nose when raji tore his biceps. He gets some rush from the position.
I think he's Prue NT all the way and the best we have on our roster right now

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
75 tackles. 11 tackles for loss. 6 sacks.... That sound like a pure nose to you?

Sounds like a 6'3" 313 pound wrestling champ , 3 down de to me...

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh. How many tackles does the best NT in the league have. 50? Compared to an ILB who will have at least twice as many, in addition to coverage duties and rush ability?
Why does the ilb get those tackle? Who helps determine if they are 3 or 5 yards down field? A good nt.

I just don't get the handwringing on this board sometime. Clark was a late first to mid second prospect who was considered one of the best running stoppers in the draft. The Packers had two clear needs in this draft and a run stopping dineman was one.

I don't know enough if Clark will be a star but he was solid value and a position of need. I get the desire for Ragland.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From si.com

27. GREEN BAY PACKERS
Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
GRADE: A
This isn't a **** pick, given Clark's relative inability to rush the passer, but Clark is an instant wall for a defensive line in need of stability. At 6' 3" and 314 pounds, he can play 3-tech in a four-man front, or kick out to end in a 3–4 base. He's also a natural nose tackle with tremendous strength, and he's only 20 years old—he's got a lot of great football in front of him. He may be a two-down rotational guy to start his NFL career, with the opportunity to do a lot more.

From nfl.com

27. Green Bay Packers:Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
NFL Media analyst Charles Davis: "Clark got more active as his career went along at UCLA, and that allowed Myles Jack to make plays. Clark is an inside force against the pass. I like this pick for Green Bay because B.J. Rajiis no longer there. We were thinking maybe inside linebacker here, but this pick works."

So it seems like there are disagreements on his pass rush but overall every expert likes this pick and this board hates it for the most part. Weird

Reaction score
With the way it is falling I think this was the right pick. Who knows how long Jack and Ragland will fall with these med issues. I don't see either falling to us in 2nd but I didn't see Jack falling out of 1st either. I like the guy Clark strong good size. Performs. Young. I would have loved to see us take a chance on Jack being he fell but I told myself I was crazy for thinking that was possible with TT. This is a solid not flashy pick. Should be expected. If Ragland drops to us in 2nd or we get Jaylon Smith in 4th will everyone stop complaining? I doubt it. It's never good enough

Members online

Latest posts