The new Kenny Clark, THE BEST NT!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You’ll see Wyatt or Clark occasionally playing 4-5T with hands in the dirt. That’s an advantage and option we really haven’t had in the recent past.

Can you imagine giving Gary a rest and having Wyatt, Clark, Reed, Smith, with Campbell and Walker backing them.

Then spelling Clark you’ve got Gary, Lowry, Reed, Wyatt backed up by Campbell and Walker.

Or Resting Reed and going with Gary, Wyatt, Slaton, Clark Preston etc..

Joe Barry has it made. I’d be telling those DB’s get ready to play WR and practice scooping and high pointing and play aggressive when down shallow. there’s going to be lots of hurried wild throws.

I can foresee a lot of rotational/situational combinations with our front seven...Joe Barry can get creative, move people around, create chaos and mismatches for opposing offenses to deal with.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article.
Im a firm believer that best recipe at Lambeau in cold weather is a staunch Defensive unit (ideally one that forces Takeways) and an elite Running game. Keeping teams under <10 points per half allows the Packers to slow the game down and Run the ball.
Sounds like Lombardi's Packers. Makes sense, he was the one who really built the air of invincibility around Lambeau Field in the playoffs. When we became more of a passing team, under Favre and Rodgers, we started losing playoff games at home. And for the two Super Bowls we won with them, we had impressive defenses (although in Rodgers' Super Bowl run, there were no home games).

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Lombardi's Packers. Makes sense, he was the one who really built the air of invincibility around Lambeau Field in the playoffs. When we became more of a passing team, under Favre and Rodgers, we started losing playoff games at home. And for the two Super Bowls we won with them, we had impressive defenses (although in Rodgers' Super Bowl run, there were no home games).

I think Brian Gutekunst and company are preparing this team for the post-Rodgers era...Keep adding first-rounders on defense, draft two or three offensive lineman every year, developing Jordan Love, etc. Run the ball, play solid defense, and if your quarterback can make a few throws here and there and not turn it over, you can still win a lot of games.

One cautionary note, however: In 207, Brett Favre took the Pack to the post-season and won a playoff game before being eliminated in overtime against the Giants. Favre was gone the next season, and with Aaron Rodgers playing after sitting on the bench for three seasons. the Pack went from Super Bowl contenders to winning just six games that year. I would expect a similar drop-off when number 12 hangs up his cleats for the last time.

The trick is to not let it happen again the next year after that.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not suggesting playing him at linebacker...Just moving him to the end of the line instead of over center. Slaton can eat up the double teams.

You suggest lining up Clark at 5-technique. The Packers have several players significantly better suited to fill that role.

Can you imagine giving Gary a rest and having Wyatt, Clark, Reed, Smith, with Campbell and Walker backing them.

It makes more sense to line up Enagbare, Galaei, Garvin or Hamilton on the edge instead of Clark to give Gary a rest.

One cautionary note, however: In 207, Brett Favre took the Pack to the post-season and won a playoff game before being eliminated in overtime against the Giants. Favre was gone the next season, and with Aaron Rodgers playing after sitting on the bench for three seasons. the Pack went from Super Bowl contenders to winning just six games that year. I would expect a similar drop-off when number 12 hangs up his cleats for the last time.

The trick is to not let it happen again the next year after that.

Don't forget the Packers finished fifth in the league in points scored during Rodgers' first season as the team's starter. They only won six games because their defense struggled.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You suggest lining up Clark at 5-technique. The Packers have several players significantly better suited to fill that role.

I'm suggesting they line up Clark next to the nose tackle instead of being the nose tackle.

Reaction score

I'm suggesting they line up Clark next to the nose tackle instead of being the nose tackle.
Lining Clark outside the Guard (on specific packages) would be formidable if paired with Gary opposite the RT. Especially if the opponent didn’t have an inline TE on that side. Gary and a fresh Clark in unison would collapse all but the elite RG/RT combos. Clark will likely be kept fresher and used across that OL. He’s no longer relegated to 0-2T

"The biggest thing I would say is we're all versatile," Lowry said. "Kenny has been a nose tackle, obviously. He's the best in the business but he can play three technique, four technique. Jarran and I can both play across the line of scrimmage. Just having three stable guys with that ability, I think is really huge for our defense."

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is a sentiment I can support, but words and terms have meaning. "Next to the nose tackle" would make him a 3T tackle in nearly every scheme, 4-3, 3-4, nickel, or dime.

The not-so-short explanation is that where defensive linemen align is numbered and called a technique, ala 3T is "three technique". I suggest using this format when talking with football nerds, as you'll confuse those who care too much about these things:

0T = NT aka head up on the center.
1T = shaded NT, head on the shoulder of the center. Could be to the strong or weak side of the formation, depends on many variables.
2T = head up on the guard
3T = head up on the outside shoulder of the guard
4T = head up the offensive tackle
5T = outside shoulder of the offensive tackle
6T = head up on the tight end
7T = outside shoulder of the tight end
9T = way outside of the tight end.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually you were the one who suggested lining up Clark on the edge, which would result in him being at least a 5-technique. See post below.

If TJ Slaton continues to emerge, he could eventually take over at nose tackle and allow Clark to move over to edge...

I was pretty adamant about it being a terrible idea. It might be smart to just acknowledge you were wrong instead of putting words in someone else's mouth.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually you were the one who suggested lining up Clark on the edge, which would result in him being at least a 5-technique. See post below.

I was pretty adamant about it being a terrible idea. It might be smart to just acknowledge you were wrong instead of putting words in someone else's mouth.

Mea Culpa, I was referring to the edge of the line. I never used the term "5 technique".

D

Deleted member 6794

Mea Culpa, I was referring to the edge of the line. I never used the term "5 technique".

Well, I have never heard the term edge of the line being used. In addition you said Clark should spell Gary to give him a break which strongly suggests you wanted to him line up at 5-technique. Whatever, I guess it's best to let it go.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I have never heard the term edge of the line being used. In addition you said Clark should spell Gary to give him a break which strongly suggests you wanted to him line up at 5-technique. Whatever, I guess it's best to let it go.

Show me where I said Clark should spell Gary....I don't recall that at all.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Show me where I said Clark should spell Gary....I don't recall that at all.

I looked back, you never directly said spell Gary. You however did describe where you wanted him to line up, which fit the 5 technique location, which I'd assume many assumed is in place of or spelling the normal 5T guys (Preston/Gary) is all.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to say that I also thought Curly was talking about edge rushing originally. All these specialty designations may be good for coaching but I think they tend to obfuscate the reality that if it quacks its a duck. Yes, supposedly an Outside Linebacker is good?? at dropping into coverage at times. But he is still more importantly a pass rusher. A DE can back up too.

Reaction score
That was me @captainWIMM
I stand corrected, I did say 4-5 in haste, after someone posted the DL alignments. I really meant more 4i 4T area (directly over T or on his shoulder) It was in response to Lowry saying this is an area Clark is fully capable at manning, which I agree.

I’m to blame sir, I responded to Curlys post. Sorry about the confusion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry, that was my bad. It was OldSchool who mentioned something about Clark spelling Gary.
My thought there was in part. We have seen examples in practice of various players lining up at various positions out of the norm. We had Walker lining up where Gary normally lines up, which leads me to believe they are contemplating using him in that capacity some.

I’m not implying switching Clark to Edge either or anything silly, only offering that we can slide Clark outside from his more traditional roles over Guard or C to reinforce that side while Gary is out. Walker could easily set the Edge for limited snaps, especially with Clark on his wing creating a disturbance.

Those are temporary alignments/packages to keep Gary fresh on a series or two. We’ve seen that in practice already, so there would be no reason to practice it if it wasn’t a consideration. I’m just reiterating what I’ve been reading for the most part and encouraging Calhoun that his idea was not that far fetched.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

My thought there was in part. We have seen examples in practice of various players lining up at various positions out of the norm. We had Walker lining up where Gary normally lines up, which leads me to believe they are contemplating using him in that capacity some.

I’m not implying switching Clark to Edge either or anything silly, only offering that we can slide Clark outside from his more traditional roles over Guard or C to reinforce that side while Gary is out. Walker could easily set the Edge for limited snaps, especially with Clark on his wing creating a disturbance.

Those are temporary alignments/packages to keep Gary fresh on a series or two. We’ve seen that in practice already, so there would be no reason to practice it if it wasn’t a consideration. I’m just reiterating what I’ve been reading for the most part and encouraging Calhoun that his idea was not that far fetched.

I'm fine with the Packers occasionally playing Clark at 3-tech with Walker lining up on the edge.

In general, I prefer another outside linebacker to spell Gary once he needs a break though.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can foresee a lot of rotational/situational combinations with our front seven...Joe Barry can get creative, move people around, create chaos and mismatches for opposing offenses to deal with.
Love this idea with the front seven. Have a strong rotation and keep guys fresh. Can also beef up the front in short yardage situations.

Members online

Latest posts