Packers pick #1---Kenny Clark UCLA DL

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted him. He was one of my favorite prospects. But i was also sort of shocked at who was left on the board!!! Wow.
After finding out the 6'3" 313 pounder only 20!?!?!? You start to wonder how he didnt get picked already!
A great pick imo.
I am thinking if i knew he accomplished what he has and is only 20, before??? I would have him as my top dlineman too...

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
I'm really not sure that I like this pick... I think that if you get a DT you should have went for Billings or Vernon, overall though I think that they should have went after Miles Jack or Reggie Ragland.
I really hope at least they trade up for one of those guys cause we need a good linebacker badly to support Clay, hopefully Barrington stays healthy this year also.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to take the time to point out that a lot of people were unhappy with Ted's first pick last year and it looks like the doubters were wrong as hell.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
seriously though guys. think about it.

the offense is locked up for the next 3 years. before this past season NOBODY was worried about the offense. everybody said we needed defense.

so TT went about building one of the strongest pass defenses in the league. Our defense was pretty good this past year. what was its weakness? stopping the run.

so what does TT do? he picks up supposedly the best run-stopper in the draft.

he knows what he's doing. it's a good pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess the Packers medical staff, like every other in the league for that matter, didn't feel confident drafting either Jack or Ragland in the first round. While I've been adamant about the need to significantly upgrade the inside linebacker position I understand Thompson's decision to draft a defensive lineman in this case.

With that being said there were better DL than Clark available IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was looking for Billings in the first round, was really surprised with this pick....however...after watching game film and reading scouting reports this might be a pretty good move. Smart player with power on the line and knows how to stay home with pretty good lateral movement. Seems to read runs well and jam the middle in order to keep the backs having to bounce it outside to the OLB. One lack they say is size, however I don't see that being a problem for long after the Packers put him to work. Most reports say he's a plug and play guy. Interested to see how this plays out.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a perfect world Raji would have stuck around and we would have grabbed Darron Lee. But who else do you take there? Clark is young, has + athletic ability, plays with great leverage(wrestler) and he brings it every snap. I can see why Teddy picked him, but he strikes me as a Clinton Dix type pick more than anything else.

Uhmmmm woot then. If he has the impact Dix did for us his rookie year damn we got a keeper.

For all those complaining about not drafting Jack or Ragland good lord. They BOTH have medical issues and BOTH were passed up by every single team in the first round. There is a reason for it.

Problem is people get tunnel vision going into the draft with prospects they like and it only gets worse the closer to the selection it gets when guys start to fall. Simply realise your board isn't TTs or like other GMs because everybody passed on the guys people are complaining we didn't take.

There's even a post saying NOBODY saw this comming. Really? It was in fact called 100% directly by the people who follow the Packers the closest

D

Deleted member 6794

I was looking for Billings in the first round, was really surprised with this pick....however...after watching game film and reading scouting reports this might be a pretty good move. Smart player with power on the line and knows how to stay home with pretty good lateral movement. Seems to read runs well and jam the middle in order to keep the backs having to bounce it outside to the OLB. One lack they say is size, however I don't see that being a problem for long after the Packers put him to work. Most reports say he's a plug and play guy. Interested to see how this plays out.

Clark is an excellent run defender who is able to push the pocket with most likely the best bull rush in the draft class. He will have to develop more pass rushing moves to play in subpackages though.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched some game tape, and I'm not seeing it. If by "run stopper" you mean a guy who stops running as soon as he gets engaged by an opposing linemen, then that's an accurate title for him.

I turned off the USC footage after being disgusted, the gave the BYU tape a chance, and saw much of the same. He gets stood up by the opposing guy almost every play, RBs run right by him, he doesn't gain an inch of ground against the other lineman or beat them with his quickness. I don't see the explosiveness or power of a first round DL, or him winning at the point of attack, despite his wrestling background.

Billings looks much better to me. He's explosive, powerful, everything this guy isn't. This guy is not getting past the line of scrimmage often or in the backfield unless he gets a lot better. A reach and underwhelming pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

I watched some game tape, and I'm not seeing it. If by "run stopper" you mean a guy who stops running as soon as he gets engaged by an opposing linemen, then that's an accurate title for him.

I turned off the USC footage after being disgusted, the gave the BYU tape a chance, and saw much of the same. He gets stood up by the opposing guy almost every play, RBs run right by him, he doesn't gain an inch of ground against the other lineman or beat them with his quickness. I don't see the explosiveness or power of a first round DL, or him winning at the point of attack, despite his wrestling background.

Billings looks much better to me. He's explosive, powerful, everything this guy isn't. This guy is not getting past the line of scrimmage often or in the backfield unless he gets a lot better. A reach and underwhelming pick.

I agree that Billings would have been a better choice. Your evaluation of Clark is inaccurate in my opinion though. He´s an above average run defender and can push the pocket with his bull rush. He won´t beat any offensive linemen with speed though.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I am disappointed with this pick because I think he would have still been available for our second round. I like the guy I lot and the more I watch his film the more I like him, but there were much better options available at pick 27.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am disappointed with this pick because I think he would have still been available for our second round. I like the guy I lot and the more I watch his film the more I like him, but there were much better options available at pick 27.

Who and why

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark was a projected second round pick.TT reached again. When TT reaches he usually falls flat. Think of Richard Rodgers a guy he could have grabbed in the 6th or 7th round. The reason for the skepticism is TT's track recond on D lineman. It's ugly! The other problem is Clark is a nose tackle. Guin is a decent nose tackle and the Packers needed a guy that could get some pass rush. Problem for TT is that the best D lineman in this draft were stout against the run but had pass rush limitations.Clark will be a decent NT once Guin leaves but this pick doesn't get the Packers closer to a championship because he is so young, raw and more of a back up to Guion.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we actually needed a corner when Randall was picked. Few will disagree that ilb is the weakest less talented spot on the defense yes??
Adding a powerful NT will make things easier for those ILBs. Is it a coincidence that the two stud ILBs available,Jack and Ragland, had the two concensus beat run stuffers in front if them? I expected them to take DL with the first pick because it makes us a better team than a new ILB.

Does anyone out there seriously believe that Elliot wolf thought this was a great pic??
Huh? Do you seriously think you or anyone here have any idea what he thinks?
Im not seeing a nose. Sorry.
come on, look again. It's right there above his mouth and between his eyes.

Glad we went DL, we need help there. Alrhough I liked Reed better, clark was a good choice as well. The thing about him is he is still young and growing. Although he is near the top talent wise, he still has more room to develop than they do and may turn into a better pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

Clark was a projected second round pick.TT reached again. When TT reaches he usually falls flat. Think of Richard Rodgers a guy he could have grabbed in the 6th or 7th round. The reason for the skepticism is TT's track recond on D lineman. It's ugly! The other problem is Clark is a nose tackle. Guin is a decent nose tackle and the Packers needed a guy that could get some pass rush. Problem for TT is that the best D lineman in this draft were stout against the run but had pass rush limitations.Clark will be a decent NT once Guin leaves but this pick doesn't get the Packers closer to a championship because he is so young, raw and more of a back up to Guion.

Clark is capable of playing defensive end in a 3-4 as well. I agree Thompson reached for him though and there would have been better defensive linemen available (Chris Jones, Jarran Reed, Andrew Billings, Jonathan Bullard just to name a few).

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it seems like there are disagreements on his pass rush but overall every expert likes this pick and this board hates it for the most part. Weird

I don't think the board all hates it, I just think mad people are loud and annoying and dominate a discussion.

People who are saying he was a reach, based on what? A list on some website?

D

Deleted member 6794

Adding a powerful NT will make things easier for those ILBs. Is it a coincidence that the two stud ILBs available,Jack and Ragland, had the two concensus beat run stuffers in front if them?

It´s true a great defensive line makes things way easier for the inside linebackers to defend the run. It doesn´t improve their coverage ability though and that´s where the Packers are in desperate need of an upgrade.

D

Deleted member 6794

People who are saying he was a reach, based on what? A list on some website?

Based on him probably not offering a ton rushing the passer at the pro level and therefore most likely ending up being a two down player.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on him probably not offering a ton rushing the passer at the pro level and therefore most likely ending up being a two down player.

a primary knock on all of reed, robinson, and butler are that they aren't effective pass rushers
nobody would have decided they were a reach if we'd have drafted them

Members online

Latest posts