Packers Offer Job To McCarthy

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Tro-

Just to refresh your memory...Sherman left Green Bay only behind Lombardi, Lambeau and Holmgren in winning percentage. That was Ditka's point.

Sorry.

Yeah the winningest regular season coach ever. unfortunately you get the lombardi trophy for the games after week 17. Thats MY point.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone will have their opinion on this move, but the ones that really count are the players.

How many of our FA's and UFA's are going to stay with McCarthy as head coach?

Time will tell on what kind of team we will have to put on the field next year.

Brett needs to make his decision as soon as possible, my feeling is that if he decides to come back other players will want to stay.

Whoever we have playing next year it is definately going to be a TT team.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
From cnnsi.com

But Wednesday night, he told the Green Bay Press-Gazette that Thompson informed him he was out of the running. Bates was not available when The Associated Press called his office for comment.

Earlier, Bates said the Packers aren't that far from becoming a playoff contender again.

"Teams can climb back from the bottom to the top in a year, two years," Bates said Wednesday in a telephone interview from Green Bay. "We can be back there in a hurry. I'm not saying one year or two years, but it won't take long."

That sounds a lot like a man who's planning on staying in GB as the DC to me.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? That sounds like a guy who was interviewing for a Head Coaching position. Earlier was before Bates told the Green Bay Press Gazette that he was not getting the job

Zero2Cool said:
From cnnsi.com

But Wednesday night, he told the Green Bay Press-Gazette that Thompson informed him he was out of the running. Bates was not available when The Associated Press called his office for comment.

Earlier, Bates said the Packers aren't that far from becoming a playoff contender again.

"Teams can climb back from the bottom to the top in a year, two years," Bates said Wednesday in a telephone interview from Green Bay. "We can be back there in a hurry. I'm not saying one year or two years, but it won't take long."

That sounds a lot like a man who's planning on staying in GB as the DC to me.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
Here's what I want to know. Other than the fact that you may have wanted Bates or some other guy, can anyone on this board provide ANY information as to why McCarthy isn't qualified to be our coach?

Let's get this clear. I'm not in love with the guy, but I'm willing to give him a chance. That is unless somebody knows something about him that will sway my opinion.

So I challenge anyone on this board not to think of a reason why he should be our coach, but to think of a reason why he shouldn't.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
net said:
Tro-

Just to refresh your memory...Sherman left Green Bay only behind Lombardi, Lambeau and Holmgren in winning percentage. That was Ditka's point.

Sorry.

Yeah the winningest regular season coach ever. unfortunately you get the lombardi trophy for the games after week 17. Thats MY point.

Well to refresh your memory Ditka wears a Super Bowl ring as a head coach so he might just have a tad more credibility than Ted Thompson by your critera.

Holmgren came to Green Bay as the hottest young coordinator in the league wearing two Super Bowl rings.

Reid had a Super Bowl ring when Philly hired him.

McCarthy has no Super Bowl rings and has never even coached a club that got deep into the playoffs

Mike McCarthy has watched Super Bowls on TV == perhaps from a Holiday Inn Express, but never been near one as a coach

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By definition Mike McCarthy is:

1) The best coach available.

2) Is a better head coach than Mike Sherman.

3) Is most liked by TED for TED's reasons.

It could also be he was cheapest,

or the best boot licking yes man to come along.

I'm sure the GM will help guide the rookie head coach.

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
McCarthy has no Super Bowl rings and has never even coached a club that got deep into the playoffs.

1. How many SB- rings has Bates? :wink:

2. Why did the Dolphins choose Saban and not Bates as HC? He had coached one of the best defenses in the NFL and made a very good job as interims coach (3 : 4, win over NE ....)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

3. Bates has been coach for 37 years now, 14 of them in the NFL and noone has seen his abilities as a HC yet????

He is a really good DC but maybe not impressive enough as prospective for HC.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, now IM starting to wonder about bates as a HC. as a DC he is money, but other teams, and now the packers, are acting as if they know something we dont...and they probably do. We just love bates cuz hes the best DC weve had in 5 years.

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has ALOT more NFL experience than Sherman did before he was handed the reins. He also has some knowledge on how to play QB and develop one in the NFL, something the Three Stooges (Sherman, Rosley, and Bevell) did not. They also say he is a bright and innovative offensive mind, something the Packers deperately need. He may be just what the Pack needs. I feel better about him and his past than I did when the Pack hired Sherman. Let's just hope Brett does!!!!!!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's what everybody said about Sherman....

Year after agonizing year.....

"Give him a chance...Give him a chance..."

Well...you saw how that ended up....

(By the way..I have no opinion on this guy....YET!)

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
TO..

Why are you so obsessesed with checking out the coaches.."*****"..???

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
66 amazing you should have one byt this time.. I cant wait to hear it my friend... AND YOU KNOW I AM SERIOUS ABOUT IT AS I HAVE NEVER TRIED TO BASH YOU I REALLY MEAN IT WITH ALL MY RESPECT, BOTH YOUR OPINION AND BRUCE´S ONE !!!!

Have a good day packer fellows !!!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you folks have the patience and insight of 2 year olds.

"He did wonders with Alex Smith." - Well, the WHOLE team is in rebuild mode, has no line and threw Smith to the wolves. As I recall, both Favre and Aikman looked pitiful in their early play in the league.

Guess what, he also coached Jake Delhomme who as I recall has been a consistent presence in the playoffs and SB the last couple years...but, Delhomme has a team around him...something Smith did not.

As for Brooks....like squeezing blood from a stone...but McCarthy did get all ANYONE was ever going to get from him.

Bottom line is that none of us know how this will turn our, but I like the fact he is:

Young

Pittsburgh tough, blue-collar guy

Doesn't hold back on players or player groups when warranted

Respect of the players and coaches he has worked with

Personally, I like Mike Nolan as a coach and believe he has good insight into those he surrounds himself with. Have faith folks...and don't make up your minds until you have evidence that warrants your joy/anger.

And remember, Holmgren was met with very mixed emotions when he signed on...that turned out pretty well.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Well, the WHOLE team is in rebuild mode, has no line and threw Smith to the wolves.

Personally, I like Mike Nolan as a coach and believe he has good insight into those he surrounds himself with. Have faith folks...and don't make up your minds until you have evidence that warrants your joy/anger.

WRT point 1, that's one of the reasons TT is said to like the guy, he pushed for Smith to play (not sure whether that's good or bad - but it seems to suggest to me that TT wants Rodgers in there now).

WRT point 2, this is the most ringing endorsement of McCarthy IMO. I think Nolan has a great future as a coach and the fact he thought enough of McC to run the offense and develop the $25 million dollar man means he probably knows something about football.

I reserve judgment on the hire. I'm just upset that Bates is all but assured of leaving GB now.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOP...what does "WRT" mean?

Dear God....I am so computer-speak illiterate!

Oooohhhh...I get it....WRT means "with regard to"!

Damn, I am good!!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks digs....I was trying to figure that out myself. It would help my 5 words/minute hunt and peck typing if I knew these shortcuts.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason Jim Bates did'nt get hired as coach.............
"MIKE" Holmgren
"MIKE" Sherman
"MIKE" McCarthy..................Packer coaches MUST be named MIKE!!! :wink:

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By definition Mike McCarthy is:

1) The best coach available.

2) Is a better head coach than Mike Sherman.

3) Is most liked by TED for TED's reasons.

It could also be he was cheapest,

or the best boot licking yes man to come along.

I'm sure the GM will help guide the rookie head coach.
Well said.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for dredging that one up, Zero. It's always good to be reminded which posters have a talent for sheer unadulterated panic when faced with uncertainty.

I've always thought it's funny how so many people regard Ted Thompson as an ultra-conservative, play-it-safe GM. He's actually made lots of unconventional moves since he got here. Hiring McCarthy was one of them. It's still too early to tell how things will play out, but I like the direction the team is going in. McCarthy has done nothing but impress me since the day he was hired.

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read that whole thread again. Some very good posts and
some posts that nowadays are tough to swallow for their writers.
But I think, they're not to blame. I didn't post but I thought:" Mike WHO??"

:pop:
GOOD SHOW!!!

Go Packerforum!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts