Packers now in the wild card spot lol

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay clinches a playoff berth:
1) GB win + WAS loss or tie + TB loss + ATL win or tie + GB clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over TB

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So there is a scenario where GB and Detroit both get in? Cool.
Are the Vikings out or do they yet have a mathematical shot?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They won't pass us on strength of schedule, but it almost certainly wouldn't go past strength of victory which could still go either way.

If we don't lose its moot anyway because we'll win the division at 10-6 if we don't lose.

you get a like just because you didn't say "mute"

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice try but I still don't get it.
Just what in the heck do three teams that we didn't even play and two are not even in our division have to do with our getting into the playoffs?
I'll never get it.

Thanx for the laugh though of the Browns beating the Chargers!

I think, in order to fully understand, you have to want to understand and I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to take the time to figure it out. That's why we have threads like this, so we don't have to figure it out on our own. I can't recall another season where it has been so competitive for that last WC spot but that may simply be because the Packers were the division winners (except last year of course) and I just didn't care who was beating out who for that last spot.

I wonder how long it will be before the NFL adds another playoff spot and opens it up to fan voting to see who gets in.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
NFL adds another playoff spot and opens it up to fan voting to see who gets in.

So theoretically, the Browns could be in with enough votes? Because you know they would get them, by everyone other than a Browns fan. :coffee:

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure they can't win the division anymore but they still are mathematically alive for the wild card, but not realisticly alive.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Vikings are in if:

--They win at Green Bay and home against Chicago.

--Tampa Bay goes 0-2 in games at New Orleans and home to Carolina.

--Washington goes 1-1 in games at Chicago and home against the Giants.

--The Packers go 0-2 or 1-1 if the win is over the Lions in Week 17 and the Lions beat the Cowboys in Week 16.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you get a like just because you didn't say "mute"

I also try to avoid 'compliment' when referring to a player whose skills are complementary to another player on the team.

Also, playoff 'birth'. And 'pre-Madonna.'

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think, in order to fully understand, you have to want to understand and I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to take the time to figure it out. That's why we have threads like this, so we don't have to figure it out on our own. I can't recall another season where it has been so competitive for that last WC spot but that may simply be because the Packers were the division winners (except last year of course) and I just didn't care who was beating out who for that last spot.

I wonder how long it will be before the NFL adds another playoff spot and opens it up to fan voting to see who gets in.
Or maybe instead of winners it could be teams that are below 500.

Imagine what that would be like.
Players instead trying to score in their own endzones, missed FGs and a lot more of going for it on 4th and 5 and longer.
And everyone gets excited when their team loses and the fans of the winning teams are bummed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also try to avoid 'compliment' when referring to a player whose skills are complementary to another player on the team.

Also, playoff 'birth'. And 'pre-Madonna.'
You mean the time before she was a ******?

D

Deleted member 6794

That's not true in regard to my post. In the given scenario (packers win out, bucs win out, falcons split) the Packers would have another win against a 9-7 team at worst and a 7-9 team at worst, while the bucs would add wins against a 6-10 team and a 7-9 team. Those wins, plus the combinations of teams that play each other over the last two weeks would give the the Packers a >99% chance of owning the SOV and/or SOS tiebreakers. You can play around with FiveThirtyEight's playoff tool here: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-nfl-predictions/, if you'd like.

You're wrong about the SOV tie-breaker being predictable as of now. While the Packers would add wins against teams with a better record the rest of the way the percentage would be affected by multiple other games which could result in Tampa winning the tie-breaker.

It took me only five minutes with the Yahoo! generator to figure out a scenario in which the Buccaneers end up with the second seed winning a tie-breaker over the Packers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&15=01545055&16=15014415&17=

There is also still the possibility, not even that remote, that Tampa Bay wins the division and Atlanta slips to the WC. Tampa trails by 1 game, but if they gain it back in the last 2 weeks (both teams play against Carolina and New Orleans yet with 1 home game left each), Tampa wins their division on tiebreaker. In this scenario we'd likely wind up the 3 seed if we won our last 2.

Or out of the playoffs if the Packers end up losing another one.

1) GB win + WAS loss or tie + TB loss + ATL win or tie + GB clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over TB

The Packers wouldn't clinch a playoff spot with a Washington tie. Once again, there's no guarantee the Packers win the SOV tie-breaker over the Buccaneers.

Last edited by a moderator:

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're wrong about the SOV tie-breaker being predictable as of now. While the Packers would add wins against teams with a better record the rest of the way the percentage would be affected by multiple other games which could result in Tampa winning the tie-breaker.

I don't know what to tell you. Fivethirtyeight uses ELO rankings to determine the probability that teams will win games. Given their projections, they give the Packers a 99% chance of winning the tiebreak against TB given the unlikely scenario that they were tied for a two seed. Obviously there's a way to choose outcomes that would give TB the edge (because it's not 100%), but the particular string of outcomes necessary to give TB the tiebreaker are exceedingly unlikely. So while it wouldn't give the Packers the tiebreaker definitively, it's certainly predictable that this would be the final outcome. But this is a hypothetical situation that will never happen, so it's probably best to put this in the agree to disagree column.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know what to tell you. Fivethirtyeight uses ELO rankings to determine the probability that teams will win games. Given their projections, they give the Packers a 99% chance of winning the tiebreak against TB given the unlikely scenario that they were tied for a two seed. Obviously there's a way to choose outcomes that would give TB the edge (because it's not 100%), but the particular string of outcomes necessary to give TB the tiebreaker are exceedingly unlikely. So while it wouldn't give the Packers the tiebreaker definitively, it's certainly predictable that this would be the final outcome. But this is a hypothetical situation that will never happen, so it's probably best to put this in the agree to disagree column.

It's way more likely the Packers end up tied with the Buccaneers for a wild card spot. In that case the SOV tie-breaker gets even more uncertain as both teams could win against opponents finishing the season at 7-9.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now that the Giants lost to the Eagles, does this change things up?

It doesn´t make any difference for the Packers aside of possibly the opponent in the wild card round if they end up winning the division.

H

HardRightEdge

I, for one, will not be watching these scores let alone remember this specific combination.

Just win.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now that the Giants lost to the Eagles, does this change things up?
What Captain said, but IMO, its always nice to see the teams ahead of you in the standings lose, unless a win by them (Dallas this weekend) is against a team that you are fighting for a playoff spot with. To me it can work as a confidence booster as well as a motivational thing, in this case, "The Giants are beatable despite how well they had been playing lately".

H

HardRightEdge

I don't know, I saw a video once of a unicorn kicking the crap out of a fuzzy kitten in a dewy meadow once ... it's not the image I would choose to promote harmony.
I once saw a unicorn in a dewy meadow and Dom Capers was sitting on a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

H

HardRightEdge

What Captain said, but IMO, its always nice to see the teams ahead of you in the standings lose, unless a win by them (Dallas this weekend) is against a team that you are fighting for a playoff spot with. To me it can work as a confidence booster as well as a motivational thing, in this case, "The Giants are beatable despite how well they had been playing lately".
Dunno about anybody else, but I watched that game last night and the Giant offense, Eli in particular, looked pretty bad.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Dunno about anybody else, but I watched that game last night and the Giant offense, Eli in particular, looked pretty bad.
Yeah they have looked pretty bad for most of the year, unless ODB breaks a long one.

I would still be nervous about going up against them. There's just something about Eli in January. With the shape their offense is in right now, it's unlikely that they flip the switch and catch fire, but who knows.

Maybe the Giants lose again and fall to the 6 seed. I would have no problem at all hosting Tampa or Washington at Lambeau, assuming we finish it off and win the division.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah they have looked pretty bad for most thisof the year, unless ODB breaks a long one.
Speaking of which, watching Beckham drop 3 balls and then tackle himself reminded me of the posters who ragged on Adams this week, one calling him "a waste". They're all crap; there are no good football players. ;)

Members online