Packers mock free agency/draft

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say something now so it is on record :) If Devin White is still there at #12 and we pass on him it better be because we got an incredibly trade offer OR someone else fell into our laps. I believe he is gonna be a STUD

I hope they learned from the 2017 draft to not allow that to happen. The Cleveland trade instead of getting TJ Watt still annoys me.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they learned from the 2017 draft to not allow that to happen. The Cleveland trade instead of getting TJ Watt still annoys me.

New Sheriff in town now....

I like White as well. April 25th can't come fast enough.....

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this won't sway anyone's opinion, but with all the recent discussion of how AR reacts to things, can't help but wonder how AR would react to Crosby being cut. #12 had this to say after that Lions game.

“Mason and I have been close friends for a long time,” Rodgers said. “We sit next to each other on the planes. We’ve known each other for years, obviously spent some holidays together. I love him. He’s a great guy. I think he’s one of the greatest kickers of all time. I’ve always said he and Robbie Gould, what they do in the elements over the years is some of the finest kicking that I’ve seen in my time."

Similarly, I'm baffled by those who would wish to sign Anthony Barr, who (a) broke AR12s collarbone, (b) played with his nuts and gave AR12 the "suck it" gesture, and (c) gave AR12 the finger.

So we're OK signing the average at best player who made disrespectful gestures toward our HOF QB.

We're certain we have our priorities straight here.

If I'm AR12s teammate, perhaps Anthony Barr purely accidentally blows out a knee (or two) in practice.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Similarly, I'm baffled by those who would wish to sign Anthony Barr, who (a) broke AR12s collarbone, (b) played with his nuts and gave AR12 the "suck it" gesture, and (c) gave AR12 the finger.

So we're OK signing the average at best player who made disrespectful gestures toward our HOF QB.

If I'm AR12s teammate, perhaps Anthony Barr purely accidentally blows out a knee (or two) in practice.

Meh....I don't really think many people are thinking about Barr and Rodgers injury as a reason not to sign the guy. For me, I wouldn't sign the guy because I don't think he will provide the Packers with equal value to what it sounds like he might get paid.

Trash talking, injuries, etc are all a part of the game, maybe Barr wasn't a complete gentleman on the field during that incident, but he did show some remorse as to the extent of Rodgers injury after it was known. Also, it should be mentioned that Rodgers initiated the trash talk. Again, both guys let emotions dictate their actions in the heat of the moment, but I wouldn't hold it against either player at this point.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...Rodgers-hit-He-had-something-to-say-afterward

https://www.twincities.com/2017/12/...aaron-rodgers-hit-hate-messages-still-coming/

Reaction score
Well, I’ve also been on the “get a new Kicker kick” in the past.
I guess I get a Kick out of it when I ponder one Kicker replaced with another Kicker? The Kicker to all this is.. we might not get better kicking results. We should probably keep Our kicking foot in the door with Crosby for now and start kicking tires next year

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Lutz, Rosas and Fairbairn. Of the 3, Fairbairn is the only one who is with the team that originally signed him as an UDFA. Lutz is the only one who has even attempted a FG in a playoff. Do you have a list of all the UDFA kickers that either haven't performed better than Crosby or haven't even made a team?

What about John Lunsford, Marshall Koehn, Jaden Oberkrom, Brad Craddock? Those were UDFA kickers signed by other teams in 2016. None of who are currently kicking in the NFL.

Of course there's the possibility of not making the correct decision with the first undrafted rookie kicker signed. The point being it's pretty easy to replace him with another one. With Crosby there's no way of releasing him after week 1 without taking a significant amount of dead money counting against the cap.

What I do like is having a kicker that for the most part has shown that you can rely on him in the clutch. More importantly, what I don't want to see is the situation we have seen many other teams in, having to go through 2-3 kickers to try and find the right one.

I wouldn't mind having to try two or three kickers to adequately replace Crosby with a cheaper option. Clutch??? He missed two of three game winning or tying field goals in 2018 with his lone successful try coming from 27 yards.

Mason Crosby has kicked in 18 playoff games. Has never missed an XP in one (59/59) and is 89.7% on FG's (26/29). His 3 misses were from 54, 50 and 41.

And the ones Crosby has made during the playoffs were from an average of 34.5 yards.

LOL....come on man..... I thought you just wanted to look at FG% made? So now you are saying other things matter?

I have provided situational stats comparing Crosby to other kickers in the league and not a single one of them confirms Crosby is even an average kicker. On the other hand you haven't provided a single fact to the discussion.

It might have been a mistake passing on Derwin James last year as well.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might have been a mistake passing on Derwin James last year as well.

Very well could be. Luckily though, Jaire seems to be better than King and Biegel so far to make the James passing a little easier of a blow. But James seems like he will be a leader of a defense before long where as I am not sure Jaire will get to that point. But time will tell. I hope so.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Of course there's the possibility of not making the correct decision with the first undrafted rookie kicker signed. The point being it's pretty easy to replace him with another one.

You are right, its easy to replace any player on a football team, however replacing them with an upgrade can be the difficult part. The point I am trying to make is exactly that, we can keep debating on how good/average/bad both of us think Mason Crosby is, but until the Packers actually find someone that can adequately replace him, I prefer having him as our kicker. I also don't want to see a revolving door of street free agents all season long trying to accomplish that.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Catch-22 is that, as noted above, one really doesn't know about a kicker until live game action, and you can't get that without either having two kickers or getting rid of Crosby first.

D

Deleted member 6794

Very well could be. Luckily though, Jaire seems to be better than King and Biegel so far to make the James passing a little easier of a blow. But James seems like he will be a leader of a defense before long where as I am not sure Jaire will get to that point. But time will tell. I hope so.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Alexander will develop into a very good cornerback. James is on his way to be an elite safety though.

You are right, its easy to replace any player on a football team, however replacing them with an upgrade can be the difficult part.

Actually the undrafted rookie kickers that were good enough to make the roster over the past three seasons would have been an upgrade over Crosby. I'm fine with bringing in several kickers to battle for the spot. There's absolutely no reason to act as if it's that difficult to replace a below average kicker.

The Catch-22 is that, as noted above, one really doesn't know about a kicker until live game action, and you can't get that without either having two kickers or getting rid of Crosby first.

It's probable there are kickers on the street during the season presenting an upgrade over Crosby.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, that's 'probable'. However, isn't this discussion about getting rid of Crosby now?

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you think Barr's average at best you're just not watching the same game as the rest of us. He's definitely an above average player.

If you don't want him because you don't like him as a person I guess, that's fine but just say that then. I personally don't care what he did to Aaron's collarbone. He was on the other team and whether you believe it was a penalty or not, I do, it was certainly not a dirty play.

Id be cool with signing him if the price was right but there are certainly other free agent options I would explore first.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Gute and the Packers are taking the same approach to Crosby as many of us are.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...ason-Crosby-safe-for-now-NFL-Draft-129724920/

"Safe for now" sounds like they are definitely willing to get rid of him if they see a better option for less money perhaps Cole Tracy in the 7th.

The point is Crosby is an average kicker paid as an above average kicker. That's not something you want to be doing too much if you wanna be a great team.

Would you go to the store and buy one apple for $10 when you could go to a different store and buy the exact same apple for $1 ? Some people do for sure but to me you just wasted $9 and why would you wanna do that if it could be avoided

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Would you go to the store and buy one apple for $10 when you could go to a different store and buy the exact same apple for $1 ? Some people do for sure but to me you just wasted $9 and why would you wanna do that if it could be avoided

No, but are we comparing Apples to Apples? Because I have seen a lot of lemons kicking FG's over the years.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, but are we comparing Apples to Apples? ;)

Haha, yes I think we are because no matter what you think of Crosby he's not so much far and away better than the other apples (Tracy etc) to justify paying him roughly 8 times as much

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Haha, yes I think we are because no matter what you think of Crosby he's not so much far and away better than the other apples (Tracy etc) to justify paying him roughly 8 times as much

Tell that to the Vikings who traded two 6th round picks to move up to the fifth round to get Auburn kicker Daniel Carlson.

Interesting part about Carlson, his disastrous game against the Packers cost him his job, the Raiders picked him up and he had a pretty solid season.

D

Deleted member 6794

The point is Crosby is an average kicker paid as an above average kicker. That's not something you want to be doing too much if you wanna be a great team.

The point being Crosby isn't even an average kicker.

D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting part about Carlson, his disastrous game against the Packers cost him his job, the Raiders picked him up and he had a pretty solid season.

Carlson was better than pretty solid with the Raiders, making 16 of 17 field goals.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point being Crosby isn't even an average kicker.

Haha I was gong to say average at best but decided on average because I think everyone can agree on that word no matter which side of the debate they're on

D

Deleted member 6794

Haha I was gong to say average at best but decided on average because I think everyone can agree on that word no matter which side of the debate they're on

I don't think that I can bring myself to agreeing that Crosby is an average kicker ;)

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell that to the Vikings who traded two 6th round picks to move up to the fifth round to get Auburn kicker Daniel Carlson.

So, I'm confused which side are you on? You imply the Vikings made a mistake on Carlson by drafting him. Then you imply they made a mistake by releasing him after the packers game

Members online

No members online now.