Packers Lions Stud Dud Superthread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think a substantial part of the problem is lack of connection between Rodgers and the newer guys. He was in synch with Jordy and Randall Cobb most of the time. Both those guys are gone. From Rodgers' perspective he's got Adams and a bunch of guys he's played with for 18 months or less.

And I place that largely on Rodgers. Sick of hearing about "earning his (or should I say "His"?) trust." How, exactly, is that done anyway? On the flip side of that coin, Rodgers must also have some FAITH in his receivers not named Davante.

How often do you hear about other QBs and their trust issues? As much as I despise the guy, that SOB Brady will throw to whoever is open. A few years ago they were playing the Bills and they had a rookie (I'm thinking maybe Malcolm Mitchell?) who dropped back-to-back passes and then 2 or 3 plays later caught a TD pass. THIS is how you build your young receivers up, not by ignoring them for the rest of the game after a drop.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't wonder if he isn't thinking in his head that certain dudes are going to drop the ball
Regardless, if a guy is open, you throw to him. You have to give that guy a chance to get back on his horse. In the words of The Great One, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I mean ... Yeah he whiffed on a few there like HHCD and didn't use free agency

But I wonder if perhaps some of his picks that ended up leaving here would have done better if MM had sent Capers packing sooner. I think Capers made a few look like duds that shouldn't have.
Definitely. Casey should have stayed for sure. Micah Hyde may have done better under a different D coach. 2 bad luck charms for TT were Nick Collins and Sam Shields. Nick got hit in the neck and it ended his career. Sam was paid a lot to get his bell rung like a church on Sunday.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think his accuracy in general has deteriorated. But in a weird way. He misses on some short comparatively easy passes and then hits a tiny window on various short, medium and even long passes.

However, it's not the like the short throw accuracy has been terrific.

For whatever reason Rodgers has struggled with accuracy on short throws for most of his career.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't really care for the roughing on Rodgers near the end. It's how they call it, but I don't like it. If you're going to use the slide, fine, use it. But you better slide with no defender within 4 yards of you to give yourself up. Otherwise you're fair game. At least that's my opinion. I don't expect those guys to be able to just stop on a dime when they're flying at you like that when you slide at the last moment and unless there is intent to the head, it should be allowed to play on.

Watching it, I know why they threw it--the guy didn't need to hit him.

Rodgers went for the slide and the defender lowered his should after that point. He made an extra move to deliver a blow. And he was the second closest receiver.

Not a question, easy flag.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had never in my entire life saw a flag on a play like that until someone from Philly got a penalty from doing that. Dawkins maybe? It was quite a while ago no, but it was the first time I saw one penalized, and now they all are. The league needs to put a stop to it. It is so harmless as far as tackles go.

For that one, I'm torn.

I'm okay with flagging the tackle if the NFL deems it a safety issue. HOWEVER, then you need to blow the whistle earlier. From the broadcast, I didn't hear one until he was in the process of the slam.

You want to protect players, then blow the play dead earlier.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be spectacularly bad move. Linsley is incredibly consistent and doesn't miss time due to injuries. He's PFF 6th best center last season iirc and his package is by no means top of the line for that position. Also we need Patrick flexible to shuffle around and I wouldn't tie him up as starting center.

Tie up Patrick as your starting Center and then Lane Taylor, earning roughly the same per-year, becomes your swing man. He could easily backup the three interior spots and has survived for a couple games at LT in 2017 (I think it was 2017. When did we have the 4 guard + Linsley offensive line?).

A starting 5 of Bhak, Jenkins, Patrick, Turner, Bulaga with your Jared Veldheer and Lane Taylor as your extra 2 game day active would be a pretty great group.

Bulaga is the interesting part though. Releasing Linsley might be enough to re-sign him. Or we could use that 8 million towards a FA (towards--a Bulaga replacement is going to cost more) replacement.

Or Jared Veldheer is your 5th/RT (not my ideal, but not a terrible plan) and you draft a 2nd or 3rd round guy to be the RT of the future.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For that one, I'm torn.

I'm okay with flagging the tackle if the NFL deems it a safety issue. HOWEVER, then you need to blow the whistle earlier. From the broadcast, I didn't hear one until he was in the process of the slam.

You want to protect players, then blow the play dead earlier.
It's not a safety issue though. It's pretty harmless. I wouldn't want to do it at 45, but would toss my brother well into my 30's in wedding attire just for fun onto grass.

and they do need to blow the whistle, what a defender to do, just hang on and let them pull them down field and gain more yards? the goal is to stop the progress.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not a safety issue though. It's pretty harmless. I wouldn't want to do it at 45, but would toss my brother well into my 30's in wedding attire just for fun onto grass.

and they do need to blow the whistle, what a defender to do, just hang on and let them pull them down field and gain more yards? the goal is to stop the progress.

Perhaps not a safety issue, but a safety perception at minimum. But that's the side issue.

If the NFL doesn't want the defender to do that, they need to be quicker to blow the whistle. Because you are right--Alexander only had his man about 1/2 stopped. The flip tackle was necessary to stop him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's one of those things they should leave alone, obviously. because it is just perception. It doesn't make anything safer or more dangerous and if it looks like the football game people love and isn't any more dangerous to the players, it's a win/win. The Leagues keeps some of the perception of "violence" that made it so popular and doesn't expose the players to anything dangerous.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
As much as I despise the guy, that SOB Brady will throw to whoever is open. A few years ago they were playing the Bills and they had a rookie (I'm thinking maybe Malcolm Mitchell?) who dropped back-to-back passes and then 2 or 3 plays later caught a TD pass. THIS is how you build your young receivers up, not by ignoring them for the rest of the game after a drop.
Have you watched how much Brady doesn't trust his receivers this season??? If not, you haven't been watching very closely.

Bobby Ward

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wake the hell up you dumb receivers and start playing football!!!

Only about 3 studs so far in AJ, Dex and Davante

All duds = Mike Pettines garbage run defense

All receivers not named Adams

Super Dud - Brian Gute for giving us these garbage receivers
Biggest dud of the season is Mason Crosby…. 9 misses AND terrible distance on his kickoffs. That has been happening for the past 3-4 years. Other teams kickers regularly kick the ball into and through the end zone but Crosby struggles to even get to the goal line. Many times barely to the 5 yard line. Time for him to go

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest dud of the season is Mason Crosby…. 9 misses AND terrible distance on his kickoffs. That has been happening for the past 3-4 years. Other teams kickers regularly kick the ball into and through the end zone but Crosby struggles to even get to the goal line. Many times barely to the 5 yard line. Time for him to go

Did you watch the Vikings game in the cold at Lambeau? I'm guessing the shorter kicking hasn't always been by lack of leg, more part of the plan. His kickoffs were longer than most games in the cold to boot last game.

Also his inaccuracies have not been a 3-4 year thing if claiming that as well (your wording could lead to assume)...dude literally just had a flawless year for us last season. I concur I think the road is ending after this year for him and GB though and that decision has merit.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Did you watch the Vikings game in the cold at Lambeau? I'm guessing the shorter kicking hasn't always been by lack of leg, more part of the plan. His kickoffs were longer than most games in the cold to boot last game.

Also his inaccuracies have not been a 3-4 year thing if claiming that as well (your wording could lead to assume)...dude literally just had a flawless year for us last season. I concur I think the road is ending after this year for him and GB though and that decision has merit.
You basically said what I would have said, except....when I first saw the post, I thought it was like 2 months old, as well as very innacurate.

When its time to replace Mason, there is a small part of me that hopes we go through about 10 kickers, due to how bad his replacement(s) are. Yes, he had a period midseason where he and the kick team struggled, but some act like this guy is like the #2 that they push out of their bodies every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online