Packers hire Titans' OC Matt LaFleur as their HC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good press conference. We just need to trust the people that were involved in the hiring. It's a big job and if he wasn't somewhat nervous, I'd be concerned.

It's going to take time, correct evaluations of talent, and some patience.

But, my first move would be the pink slip to the st coach. Didn't like the hire from the beginning.

Good luck coach ML and hope you one day will have a street named after you in Green Bay.

Reaction score
Did the Forum user “MikeMcCarthy” bow out? What are his thoughts on this whole issue?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is going to eat this guy alive!!! Hahahaha!!!
that's a concern of mine but we'll just have to see. Rodgers is who/what he is, will do what he wants, and the lack of cap space will keep this team in the 8-8 range for the duration of Rodgers contract, as he's only getting older, less effective, and more expensive as each year passes. i hope i'm wrong. they both may be out after 2021.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't mean to imply that it was a bad thing for the front office to want to keep the DC, just that some HC candidates might have wanted their "own" guy and the front office didn't want to give them that power. I
Of course you have a cite or quote from someone inside the FO at 1265 Lambeau to back up this supposition. I look forward to seeing it. Otherwise
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted MD too, but I'll give ML a chance. I'm concerned there seems to be a rush to hire HC's this year almost based on their contact with the Rams coach. I'll always believe we were one kick off smart play away from beating the Rams, at their house. Having Gurley has a way of making their QB look better. We'll find out as the next few weeks play out. Teams playing with a QB under a rookie contract sure helps. I hope this works well so we get back to the SB, but if he isn't the right guy Rodgers won't see another one.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's a concern of mine but we'll just have to see. Rodgers is who/what he is, will do what he wants, and the lack of cap space will keep this team in the 8-8 range for the duration of Rodgers contract, as he's only getting older, less effective, and more expensive as each year passes. i hope i'm wrong. they both may be out after 2021.
How about let's see him with a good coaching staff before jumping to the conclusion that he just won't take to coaching?

NorwegianPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why lol? Oh Because Pettine will be forced on him! Lol Rodgers is going to eat this guy alive!!! Hahahaha!!!

Better than having McDaniels trade Rodgers for a box of chocolates like he did in Denver(by trading Cutler who was an okay QB there) to pick Tim Tebow.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So what are people's thoughts on this hire as compared to other candidates, vis a vis Josh McDaniels?

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what are people's thoughts on this hire as compared to other candidates, vis a vis Josh McDaniels?
He was who I was hoping for, based on all the other coaches he worked with ( Mike & Kyle Shanahan, Gary Kubiak, McVay, Brian Kelly, Mike Vrabel), and from what I read he was a sharp young guy. McDaniels while seems like an excellent coordinator, something about him doesn't sit right that I didn't like. So I'm a little biased but I'm more than pumped!

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have been fine with McDaniels,but I think the football Gods would have been against us a long time if we hired him. Plus I believe he would have left first time things got really rough.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I get the feeling if this forum was around in the early 90s people would poo poo The Mike Holmgren hire too.
They would have started a Fire Holmgren thread the day after he was hired. This place is like a Tin foil hat convention. It’s amusing as hell though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Most important thing is to get rid of every single person on medical and conditioning. I beleive the Packers lead the league in injuries almost every year the last 10 years. Also Kyle Shanahan was the guy I wanted 2 years ago. I wanted Lafleur last year. Not a fan of the dead last offense on the Titans but still worth the chance. McDaniels is so nasty. I would of been good with Todd Monken. Be cool if he became our offensive cordinator.

Doesn't really matter what the Packers organization does though. Just because Brady is playing at 41 does not mean every HoF QB now can play into thier 40s. If everythign can go right Packers have a shot at 1 more super bowl with Rodgers. Rodgers is kinda ******* and has no leadership skills period. I loved him at first even before Favre was gone. But watching his career play out I was wrong and Rodgers is no Favre. Favre was way more fun to watch. Favre is a legend and Rodgers is a HoF QB but I consider Rodgers a Steve Young and Favre a Joe Montana. I consider Rodgers really good but not a winner. I don't even think winning is that important to Rodgers. I just don't get the winning feeling from Rodgers. I think Rodgers is happy when he is considered the most talented QB. He rather be considered the most talented QB in the NFL then the most winningest. I don't think Rodgers even cares about super bowls. I never thought Rodgers would even play past 36. I seen him on TV on game shows. He is as smart as they come. He is probaly 3x smarter then Favre. I would of thought Rodgers would of been smart enough to not drag out a NFL career and put his future and health in danger. You don't want to be struggling to get out of bed at age 45 or not remember your kids name. Maybe with how soft the NFL has become and blowing air on QBs now gets a flag Rodgers feels he can play longer and still live a healthy life after.

The Packers organization is unpar with the Browns. They did very little with two HoF QB's. TT is the biggest joke in Packers history. Only a complete fool would think you can win super bowls only using the draft. 2010 super bowl was a fluke. We faced nobody good. Vick had a winning drive and probably could of ran all over the Packers but has a tiny cat brain and threw the ball instead and we got bailed out with getting a pick. Packers almost lost to the nasty Bears with a 3rd string QB. The only good win was in the super bowl against the Steelers. I guess that easy road to a super bowl is like the Pats get every season in a weak AFC.

If Rodgers was so great you could of got any coach GM in the world to come here besides BB. The fact they stood by TT and MM for so long just shows nobody cared about super bowl. Packers have been perfectly happy just going 10-6 and squeezing into the playoffs riding thier QB. Thinking if we get into the playoffs every year we are bound to have things bounce our way again like 2010 and win another super bowl. It almost happend again with that Seahawk champsionship game. If we didnt have so many scrubs starting and a terrible HC there wouldnt of been anyway to lose that game.

Packers organization deserves to suffer. They took 2 HoF QB's for granted. Now Mark Murphy and the Packers are scrambling for a chance to win before Rodgers retires. I expect 10 or even 20 years of scrub QBs and no playoffs after Rodgers. I like Lafleur but he is risky and its possible the Packers never make the playoffs with Rodgers again. Noway would we ever get a 3rd HoF QB.

You always want what you don't have. I beleive the Packers never had a great defense. So I expect us to have a great defense in the future and no QB. Be ironic to get the defense we always dreamed of but then without a QB to take us anywhere.
Wow, your glass is empty man. Feel bad for you.

P.S. EVERYONE is 3x smarter than Favre.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I would go on record as saying I am optimistic and am glad it is not McDaniels. Cleveland will probably end up hiring him and in doing so probably ruin their chances to turn a good roster into a Superbowl contender team.

I do think amidst the optimism that he might bring in some of the new RPO offensive flavors to this team and get things going, some concern about the coaching staff is warranted. A young guy with or without Murphy's marching orders who doesn't know this current staff could mistakenly think retaining them would mean good continuity for the players without understanding that they are underachievers and have put out subpar results.

You also just have to understand there's good reasons why fans are fuming at Murphy too for not clearing the deck once the season ended, or at least at a bare minimum kicking Ron Zook out. I know people keep saying he's as good as gone, but if that's the case why was he even allowed to wait around here? Even allowing him to stay to wait for the next HC to replace him is rewarding failure with kindness. Awful.
Rewarding failure with kindness????

Why can’t the Packers be kind to all their employees. You can terminate employees who have failed with a modicum of compassion. There is no reason to treat employees poorly and cruelly.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Did the Forum user “MikeMcCarthy” bow out? What are his thoughts on this whole issue?
I heard he ran off to check his pad level and then something about "work on Clay's groin"? I'm sure he will be back with the new name of Josh McDaniels MattLaFleur.

OR........Maybe he actually WAS Mike McCarthy. :cautious:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can’t stand Murphy as head of anything football related...but the guy is definitely a business man. I swear I’m seeing more FEMALES post on FB and various sites than I’ve seen in over 15 yrs. wonder if that has anything to do with the new hire :rolleyes: at least the female fan base has seemed to increase drastically since yesterday...and guess what? Women spend more money in merchandise than men. Well played Murphy, you pumpkin pie hair cutted freak :whistling:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts