Packers hire Titans' OC Matt LaFleur as their HC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to be pretty subjective what you know for facts around here, especially after jumping the gun and already starting threads about McDaniels installing his scheme and Rodgers in it as if his hire here was a foregone conclusion. I should tell ESPN Josh McDaniels agent is right here.

But if your boy isn't getting many offers as you say, then that tells me he's a lousy coaching candidate, because good coaching candidates are hot on the market.

Maybe you should do some research eh? Because it’s been out there for a while now that McDaniels wasn’t interested in really any other Head coaching gig other than the Green Bay one. This is before the season even ended. So why would any team contact him when his camp intentionally put that news out there? C’mon man I know you hate McDaniels, but you’re reaching seriously.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you should do some research eh? Because it’s been out there for a while now that McDaniels wasn’t interested in really any other Head coaching gig other than the Green Bay one. This is before the season even ended. So why would any team contact him when his camp intentionally put that news out there? C’mon man I know you hate McDaniels, but you’re reaching seriously.

How is it seriously reaching when Kingsbury got a job at USC, and is now the HC of the Cardinals in a matter of weeks. Bruce Arians came out when people threw him in the GB coaching vacancy and said he is ONLY interested in the Browns HC job, and is now the HC of the Bucs.

How is it reaching when McDaniels accepted an offer to coach the Colts and ended up back with the Patriots? Plenty of teams will reach out regardless of what you come out and say or jobs you accept. Do you need some more examples?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is it seriously reaching when Kingsbury got a job at USC, and is now the HC of the Cardinals in a matter of weeks. Bruce Arians came out when people threw him in the GB coaching vacancy and said he is ONLY interested in the Browns HC job, and is now the HC of the Bucs.

How is it reaching when McDaniels accepted an offer to coach the Colts and ended up back with the Patriots? Plenty of teams will reach out regardless of what you come out and say or jobs you accept. Do you need some more examples?

You can’t comprehend either huh? Who cares about what those other guys did? We’re talking about McDaniels!! Those other guys obviously changed their minds because they aren’t in the same situation as McDaniels. You guys need better arguments if you’re going to try and debate me seriously. So tell ya what? Go sit down, do some research, and present me a better counter argument. Court is adjourned.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can’t comprehend either huh? Who cares about what those other guys did? We’re talking about McDaniels!! Those other guys obviously changed their minds because they aren’t in the same situation as McDaniels. You guys need better arguments if you’re going to try and debate me seriously. So tell ya what? Go sit down, do some research, and present me a better counter argument. Court is adjourned.

Apparently McDaniels is so far down your throat that oxygen isn't reaching your brain.

Maybe this is why McDaniels can't get a job if he is hanging out with you. Sounds like there is a set of rules that only apply to him when it comes to arguments so he can tell everyone how they're wrong when they apply the same examples to counter his point.

"McDaniels said he isn't interested in any other job from the GB one, why would teams contact him?"
:examples on why provided, including one of your precious McDaniels"
"WE'RE TALKING ABOUT MCDANIELS!!!":inlove::inlove::inlove:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently McDaniels is so far down your throat that oxygen isn't reaching your brain.

Maybe this is why McDaniels can't get a job if he is hanging out with you. Sounds like there is a set of rules that only apply to him when it comes to arguments so he can tell everyone how they're wrong when they apply the same examples to counter his point.

"McDaniels said he isn't interested in any other job from the GB one, why would teams contact him?"
:examples on why provided, including one of your precious McDaniels"
"WE'RE TALKING ABOUT MCDANIELS!!!":inlove::inlove::inlove:

Dude, what? Ok man smh. This is giving me a headache seriously. I’m not sure what you’re point is?? So we’ll just have to agree to disagree bub.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And unfortunately to your point, all we can do is assume about the majority details that have come out. We will probably never know why McDaniels was not hired (unless you are a poster on here). We can assume he came in overconfident, or brought nothing new to the table. We can assume Lafleur blew them away in the interview and didn't want anyone else to interview him, and his hear his vision for the team. And we also can assume he was brought on to be a 'yes' man that will just do what they say.

I'd like to assume optimism rather than sh*t on a guy that hasn't even given his first press conference yet. Time will tell majority of the answers. Titans were a very limited bunch, maybe being more optimistic but I think our RB and WR as a whole is on a different level than them. I am not going to judge him on his stint in Tennessee as Rodgers vs Mariota isn't even comparable. I'd take Jones/Williams over Henry/Lewis as they are a downhill, NorthSouth runner to a 5'8" pass catcher. I don't think I have to touch upon the WR core the Packers have vs them. He'll be able to use more pages of a playbook as he did with Matt Ryan and Jared Goff than last year. Offense will be different, why is it bad to keep a defense that was not bad, but was exploited due to depth/injury issues, from changing for a 3rd time in 3 years? Again, maybe being more optimistic than I should be but as of right now I do not have a problem with the direction they decided to go in.

I didn't mean to imply that it was a bad thing for the front office to want to keep the DC, just that some HC candidates might have wanted their "own" guy and the front office didn't want to give them that power. I'm not trying to say that things are good or bad here, that would be ridiculous this early on. I do think that Murphy has opened himself up for either a lot of praise or a lot blame; this hire, while exciting, was by no means safe. And while you'll see from my past posts that I'm a BIG Jones fan, I wouldn't go so far as to say that Jones/Williams is a better combo than Henry/Lewis. Jones is probably the best of those guys but Williams is fairly certainly last in that group by a decent margin.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Fans bash coaches for poor performance no matter what. Capers last two years with the Packers featured injuries across the board in the secondary and that didn't matter. Fans talk about injuries as a reason for losing all the time, but if injuries happen for more than one year it's amazing how quickly injuries are no longer an excuse.

As for LaFleur, certainly no conclusions can be drawn from his time in Tennessee because of the injuries, but that cuts both ways; he shouldn't be penalized but it certainly wasn't a positive either. As I said, I think this hire is primarily about two things; first, hoping the McVay and Shanahan magic rubbed off on him, and second, that as a coach he is a definitive third in the power rankings for the front office, he presents little risk of taking power from Gute or Murphy. Fans wanted Pettine as DC and apparently so did the front office, so one of the factors in a HC hire may well have been a guy that Murphy and Gute feel confident will keep the guys they tell him to.
Again, even with those guys fully healthy, that personnel was/is extremely limited.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
rodell cannot seem to understand that the Packers didn't think he was the best man for the job.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodell cannot seem to understand that the Packers didn't think he was the best man for the job.

He was the best man for the job. They wanted a
Guy who would retain certain coaches...I’m just not convinced
He was the most “qualified” but hey man haha it is what it is.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you should do some research eh? Because it’s been out there for a while now that McDaniels wasn’t interested in really any other Head coaching gig other than the Green Bay one.
Didn't you yourself even say that Cleveland was his #1 choice, but Cleveland wasn't interested in him? Although Cleveland later decided they did have some interest. I can believe he had no interest in any job other than GB or Cleveland though.

McCarthy now says he's only interested in the Jets job. This a few days after reports that Cleveland was putting him on the back burner. I think the Browns ticked him off, especially since he has friends there in the administration. So now he will only go to the Jets. I hope he gets it, but if he doesn't does he retire? I'm sure he has the money to. Be a coordinator? Go to the college ranks?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was the best man for the job. They wanted a
Guy who would retain certain coaches...I’m just not convinced
He was the most “qualified” but hey man haha it is what it is.

He may have been their #1 choice initially but after the interviews he clearly wasn't the best man for the job.

Your opinion that he was the most qualified is irrelevant and just that, your opinion.

If I want to hire someone to paint my house and I ask 100 people who the best house painter is and they all say Josh McDaniels he may be my first choice but if we talk and he says I'll only paint your house red and I want it painted white he certainly isn't going to be the best man for the job. He is not even the most qualified for the job because the job is to paint my house white and he won't do that.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
He may have been their #1 choice initially but after the interviews he clearly wasn't the best man for the job.

Your opinion that he was the most qualified is irrelevant and just that, your opinion.

If I want to hire someone to paint my house and I ask 100 people who the best house painter is and they all say Josh McDaniels he may be my first choice but if we talk and he says I'll only paint your house red and I want it painted white he certainly isn't going to be the best man for the job. He is not even the most qualified for the job because the job is to paint my house white and he won't do that.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't you yourself even say that Cleveland was his #1 choice, but Cleveland wasn't interested in him? Although Cleveland later decided they did have some interest. I can believe he had no interest in any job other than GB or Cleveland though.

McCarthy now says he's only interested in the Jets job. This a few days after reports that Cleveland was putting him on the back burner. I think the Browns ticked him off, especially since he has friends there in the administration. So now he will only go to the Jets. I hope he gets it, but if he doesn't does he retire? I'm sure he has the money to. Be a coordinator? Go to the college ranks?

When the hell did I say Cleveland was his #1 choice? Don’t put words in my mouth smh or make up stuff. What I have said several times!! Is that Cleveland never really wanted him...I even explained the reasons why.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers got the type of personality they wanted. Yes Mr. Murphy...whatever you say Mr. Murphy :roflmao:

I remember when people wanted Mark Murphy to step in and fire TT and now when he does get involved some people think hes power hungry and all he wants is puppets.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the hell did I say Cleveland was his #1 choice? Don’t put words in my mouth smh or make up stuff. What I have said several times!! Is that Cleveland never really wanted him...I even explained the reasons why.
Apologies then, I must have mixed you up with someone else. There were reports that McDaniels wanted the Cleveland job above all.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching the press conference, I can't imagine how intimidating that must be for the first time.

Reaction score
"McDaniels wouldn't have been nervous." - Rodell probably. Im just messin with ya my guy! Don't come at me lol!

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just tuned in before Murphy introduced him. I like him from a quick judgement. He is clearly nervous, being OC probably aren't getting bombarded with questions like he is now so I don't hold that against him. But he comes off as a genuine person. He wants to make this a championship culture, and maybe cliche but the way he is babbling off answers leads me to believe he doesn't have a list of bullet points to talk about in his head giving the answers everyone wants to hear. He isn't coming off as a robot.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting that ML was non-commital regarding keeping Pettine.

smacker

Smacker = Smack talking Packer Fan
Reaction score
Interesting that ML was non-commital regarding keeping Pettine.
I would expect nothing less. He just got here, he needs to interview the guy. Reporters always think they can catch some guy out, it never works, at least not from someone with a brain in their head. He seems to have a brain in his head, good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.