Packers hire Titans' OC Matt LaFleur as their HC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol what a joke.
We get it, you're not happy that your family friend (McDaniels) didn't get the job and you're sour.

I don't think McDaniels realizes either how many bridges he's burned OR that his personality doesn't "mesh" well with many in the NFL community. This offseason may be a great time for him to do some self-evaluating to find out why he isn't getting any offers.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol what a joke.

Come on man atleast give this guy a chance.

If internet existed in the 1950s you would probably poo poo Vince Lombardi hiring if you wanted another guy instead.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you guys don’t like my opinion oh well. At the end of the day I don’t care. I respect the decision to hire the guy, it is what it is. But I don’t have to like it...that’s what some of you can’t seem to grasp. If you don’t like that I don’t like the hire I don’t give a ****....I’m going to express what’s on my mind period. I DONT like the hire as I’ve stated but I will not be insulted by anyone in this forum fir expressing my option s. Im a grown man, I don’t know what some of you think this is or who you’re talking to.
I was wrong about McDaniels getting the job, I understand that. But I was 100% spot on about why he wouldn’t get the job so don’t act like I’m just throwing stuff out there.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im a grown man,
I believe Zeke Elliott raised the bar and now the correct term is you're "a grown *** man". ;) I appreciate your nuggets of insider-stuff... time to move forward and debate the merits of LaFleur's approach/staff/decisions.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t call things I “respect” a joke. Unless it’s a good joke of course.

Reaction score
Seems like McDaniels comes across as a ****** and that is why he didn't get the job. There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance, and Mcdaniels has fallen on the wrong side in recent times.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We get it, you're not happy that your family friend (McDaniels) didn't get the job and you're sour.

I don't think McDaniels realizes either how many bridges he's burned OR that his personality doesn't "mesh" well with many in the NFL community. This offseason may be a great time for him to do some self-evaluating to find out why he isn't getting any offers.

Oh he's had plenty of offers, problem is he can't commit to them.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If you guys don’t like my opinion oh well. At the end of the day I don’t care. I respect the decision to hire the guy, it is what it is. But I don’t have to like it...that’s what some of you can’t seem to grasp. If you don’t like that I don’t like the hire I don’t give a ****....I’m going to express what’s on my mind period. I DONT like the hire as I’ve stated but I will not be insulted by anyone in this forum fir expressing my options . Im a grown man, I don’t know what some of you think this is or who you’re talking to.
I was wrong about McDaniels getting the job, I understand that. But I was 100% spot on about why he wouldn’t get the job so don’t act like I’m just throwing stuff out there.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To all who are concerned with LaFluer low ranked offense with the Titans. They were the 6th worst offense in 2018.

In 1958, Lombardi was the OC for the Giants. His offense was ranked 4th and 3rd worse offense by points and yards respectively in the NFL. No talent maybe? The next season, a guy named Allie Sherman took over as OC and with nearly the same roster, elevated the offense to 2nd and 3rd best in the NFL.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again I'm not huge on LaFleur but since he's the choice I'm behind him. My main concerns are his just one year of playcalling experience and lack of longevity anywhere. I'm all for studying under McVay and Shanahan, but it wasn't sustained for very long.

I really like Pettine, however I'm sure the decision to retain him probably turned off a handful of coaches in addition to the authority structure. But I really do hope that LaFleur is his own man and can choose his position coaches rather than just stuck with the retreads of the McCarthy era.

I've been advocating for the removal of Murphy for a long time; since the Favre years. If this is going to be just more of the same with just a new face or two, he needs to go and a real "football" guy needs to take his place.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again I'm not huge on LaFleur but since he's the choice I'm behind him. My main concerns are his just one year of playcalling experience and lack of longevity anywhere. I'm all for studying under McVay and Shanahan, but it wasn't sustained for very long.

I really like Pettine, however I'm sure the decision to retain him probably turned off a handful of coaches in addition to the authority structure. But I really do hope that LaFleur is his own man and can choose his position coaches rather than just stuck with the retreads of the McCarthy era.

I've been advocating for the removal of Murphy for a long time; since the Favre years. If this is going to be just more of the same with just a new face or two, he needs to go and a real "football" guy needs to take his place.
Sounds like you are thinking LaFleur will be calling the plays. Maybe not. But I am hoping for an OC that can call the plays and let LaFleur have his pulse on everything...including the play calling.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those bashing the LaFleur hire in saying that he didn't produce great numbers with the Titans would be the equivalent to people bashing Pettine for not producing numbers with the personnel he had to work with on the Packers defense.

Most everyone agrees that Pettine did an admirable job given what he had to work with. Well I could make the argument that LaFleur had very little to work with in Tennessee with a completely healthy roster, let alone injuries to Mariota, Walker, and others.

Fans bash coaches for poor performance no matter what. Capers last two years with the Packers featured injuries across the board in the secondary and that didn't matter. Fans talk about injuries as a reason for losing all the time, but if injuries happen for more than one year it's amazing how quickly injuries are no longer an excuse.

As for LaFleur, certainly no conclusions can be drawn from his time in Tennessee because of the injuries, but that cuts both ways; he shouldn't be penalized but it certainly wasn't a positive either. As I said, I think this hire is primarily about two things; first, hoping the McVay and Shanahan magic rubbed off on him, and second, that as a coach he is a definitive third in the power rankings for the front office, he presents little risk of taking power from Gute or Murphy. Fans wanted Pettine as DC and apparently so did the front office, so one of the factors in a HC hire may well have been a guy that Murphy and Gute feel confident will keep the guys they tell him to.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Zeke Elliott raised the bar and now the correct term is you're "a grown *** man". ;) I appreciate your nuggets of insider-stuff... time to move forward and debate the merits of LaFleur's approach/staff/decisions.

Zeke must have watched Ismo

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In PFCs mind plenty = 1

If he's as great a coaching candidate as mr rodell thinks, he'll have had more than one. He turned down the Bengals and Browns, obviously had no interest in going to Tampa and NY, so don't give me this plenty = 1 bullsht.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's as great a coaching candidate as mr rodell thinks, he'll have had more than one. He turned down the Bengals and Browns, obviously had no interest in going to Tampa and NY, so don't give me this plenty = 1 bullsht.

So you have information saying he was going to get an interview with those teams you listed other than the Browns?? Because I know for a FACT the Browns NEVER reached out to him to come in and interview to be the next Head Coach. So basically by “plenty of opportunities you mean Denver and Indy?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you have information saying he was going to get an interview with those teams you listed other than the Browns?? Because I know for a FACT the Browns NEVER reached out to him to come in and interview to be the next Head Coach. So basically by “plenty of opportunities you mean Denver and Indy?

Seems to be pretty subjective what you know for facts around here, especially after jumping the gun and already starting threads about McDaniels installing his scheme and Rodgers in it as if his hire here was a foregone conclusion. I should tell ESPN Josh McDaniels agent is right here.

But if your boy isn't getting many offers as you say, then that tells me he's a lousy coaching candidate, because good coaching candidates are hot on the market.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans bash coaches for poor performance no matter what. Capers last two years with the Packers featured injuries across the board in the secondary and that didn't matter. Fans talk about injuries as a reason for losing all the time, but if injuries happen for more than one year it's amazing how quickly injuries are no longer an excuse.

As for LaFleur, certainly no conclusions can be drawn from his time in Tennessee because of the injuries, but that cuts both ways; he shouldn't be penalized but it certainly wasn't a positive either. As I said, I think this hire is primarily about two things; first, hoping the McVay and Shanahan magic rubbed off on him, and second, that as a coach he is a definitive third in the power rankings for the front office, he presents little risk of taking power from Gute or Murphy. Fans wanted Pettine as DC and apparently so did the front office, so one of the factors in a HC hire may well have been a guy that Murphy and Gute feel confident will keep the guys they tell him to.

And unfortunately to your point, all we can do is assume about the majority details that have come out. We will probably never know why McDaniels was not hired (unless you are a poster on here). We can assume he came in overconfident, or brought nothing new to the table. We can assume Lafleur blew them away in the interview and didn't want anyone else to interview him, and his hear his vision for the team. And we also can assume he was brought on to be a 'yes' man that will just do what they say.

I'd like to assume optimism rather than sh*t on a guy that hasn't even given his first press conference yet. Time will tell majority of the answers. Titans were a very limited bunch, maybe being more optimistic but I think our RB and WR as a whole is on a different level than them. I am not going to judge him on his stint in Tennessee as Rodgers vs Mariota isn't even comparable. I'd take Jones/Williams over Henry/Lewis as they are a downhill, NorthSouth runner to a 5'8" pass catcher. I don't think I have to touch upon the WR core the Packers have vs them. He'll be able to use more pages of a playbook as he did with Matt Ryan and Jared Goff than last year. Offense will be different, why is it bad to keep a defense that was not bad, but was exploited due to depth/injury issues, from changing for a 3rd time in 3 years? Again, maybe being more optimistic than I should be but as of right now I do not have a problem with the direction they decided to go in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online