Packers Hire New Defensive Coordinator: Jeff Hafley, formerly Head Coach, Boston College

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excited to see some single high for a change. Lots of blitzing options and disguise and deception to keep the QB on his heels. Jaire can thrive but we need a great corner on the other side. If you were looking to draft the best M2M corner, who are you picking? Kool-Aid? @tynimiller I'm looking your way here.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excited to see some single high for a change. Lots of blitzing options and disguise and deception to keep the QB on his heels. Jaire can thrive but we need a great corner on the other side. If you were looking to draft the best M2M corner, who are you picking? Kool-Aid? @tynimiller I'm looking your way here.

There are many...but for sake of time and where we pick...

I want Quinyon Mitchell. DUDE IS STICKY. If you get a chance to watch any tape, the most recent where he exhibits this is form senior bowl tape out there. I'm telling you his feet and hips open and close like he is a freaking high level dancer. There are some reps where I swear his second step after a receiver stutter or change of direction beats the receivers down.

He's got a solid build (6'0' 195lbs) to him has outstanding ball production and anticipation like I've said. I think however what always caught my eye was his willingness to attack downhill and assist in run support.

I will say, his speed is going to be a concern potentially....but I hear VERY conflicting narratives here. I've heard from various guys I trust way more than me he's specifically been training to enhance his long speed which as we all know is so crucial in the NFL...I hear he might be a 4.3 guy...if he is dude will not or should not see our pick in the first round. I suspect he is in the 4.4s. If he had gone to an SEC school he would be on some boards as CB1, I believe that with every bone in my body.

Want a Day3 type guy I think that could make noise is Washington State's Chau Smith-Wade. He is a little shorter, little stiffer but every time I watched the wildcats tape mainly trying to focus on Hicks (safety I love) my eyes were drawn to what Chau was doing - especially in big games. He has had to elevate this week at the Senior Bowl and has come away with some BIG wins in 1v1 sessions which of course are where man coverage abilities are tested the most.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok. I felt a little qualms that he is friends with ML. But I can understand him wanting to work with someone he knows. That doesn't mean that he's not a good coach. The college coaches have to break into the NFL somewhere.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I listened to a short interview of this dude talking about defense and he won me over...I think he's gonna be good

Then I heard Richard Sherman talk about him in a short interview and that sealed the deal. Sherman is smart but he said dude makes the game plan so easy to understand and he's beyond prepared
I posted Sherman’s interview

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. I felt a little qualms that he is friends with ML. But I can understand him wanting to work with someone he knows. That doesn't mean that he's not a good coach. The college coaches have to break into the NFL somewhere.
He was a nfl coach few times

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's already been in the NFL before.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the "friends" thing is blown out of portion by a few stirrers out there. I don't think they go to each other's kids' birthday parties. I don't think they spend their free time going on fishing trips together. The fact is, the NFL coaching circle is small and most of those guys know each other and if they're not friends, they're all at least friends of friends. If you look at the man's resume and history, he checks an awful lot of boxes.

It would be stupid if MLF said, "You know what? You're exactly what I'm looking for, but man, we've known each other for over 10 years and we're both good friends with Bob (Saleh) so I'm going to have to pass because there are some fans that might not like that. Thanks for interviewing though!"

I think if MLF was looking to make a "buddy hire" he would have hired Staley last week. That, or he would have simply kept Barry. The defense improved enough after the Carolina game that he could have certainly gone that route if he wanted to, but he didn't.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Is this post literally what has you all jumping up and down throwing bananas?

This article says that they have never worked together, but are both part of the Shanahan tree since he coached under Robert Saleh in SF:

I found three articles that said that they are friends, all of which quoted ESPN's Pete Thamel. I've never heard of that guy so I'm not sure that I'm going to trust him as a source. Even if I did, whether or not they are friends makes no difference. We will know nothing until about Week 10 of the 2024. It usually takes about half a season for a defense to adjust to a new coordinator/scheme. Until that point, expect lots of communication errors and mistakes as everyone gets used to the new system.

Alright now, continue throwing your feces at one another!

Couldn't agree more! The doomers and gloomers are already taking a whack at this!

BTW, Has the "Fire Hafley" thread been started yet? :coffee:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Thanks for the video.

After watching it I feel like the hire makes sense. As he said, none of us knew who MLF was either and he seems pretty solid. Time will tell

I am hoping that someone started the "Fire Hafley" thread.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the video.

After watching it I feel like the hire makes sense. As he said, none of us knew who MLF was either and he seems pretty solid. Time will tell

Here's one I like better. I'm a big Paul Farrington fan. These guys are Viking fans but they're smart, honest, and fair. Sometimes an outside perspective is best.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's one I like better. I'm a big Paul Farrington fan. These guys are Viking fans but they're smart, honest, and fair. Sometimes an outside perspective is best.

I as well listen to him from time to time. He does a lot better job than many of staying true to news and thoughts without biasness showing through or changing it.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I as well listen to him from time to time. He does a lot better job than many of staying true to news and thoughts without biasness showing through or changing it.
I think he's a closet Packer fan. There are a lot of those in Minnesota. Lots of old-timer Packer fans who never changed their colors just because the Vikings came to town.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's a closet Packer fan. There are a lot of those in Minnesota. Lots of old-timer Packer fans who never changed their colors just because the Vikings came to town too.

Eh, I have always taken it as he is very knowledgeable of Packers given location up north....I am right east of South Bend, IN and very "close" to Chicago and Colts...so say I had a podcast I could easily break down and share thoughts of a Chicago decision similar to how he does with GB being a Vikings podcast.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh, I have always taken it as he is very knowledgeable of Packers given location up north....I am right east of South Bend, IN and very "close" to Chicago and Colts...so say I had a podcast I could easily break down and share thoughts of a Chicago decision similar to how he does with GB being a Vikings podcast.
He and Ziggy did more research and analysis of Hafley in the first hour after it was announced than any of the Packer guys on YT did, including Nagler. While they were all hopping online saying, 'OMG! I've never heard of this guy! Looks like a buddy hire by MLF!" Paul and Ziggy were talking about his resume and making some astute observations on why this guy has some real promise.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He and Ziggy did more research and analysis of Hafley in the first hour after it was announced than any of the Packer guys on YT did, including Nagler. While they were all hopping online saying, 'OMG! I've never heard of this guy! Looks like a buddy hire by MLF!" Paul and Ziggy were talking about his resume and making some astute observations on why this guy has some real promise.

Yes, and I didn't disagree with any of that - but maybe you're not taking my statement as disagreement. Actually no clue what that was in reply to my statement of not thinking they're closet Packer fans.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of old-timer Packer fans who never changed their colors just because the Vikings came to town.
Can't be that many left. Vikings came to town over 60 years ago. That's like moving into a rural community and your house is known as the parent's of the person that you bought it from old house.

ETA: We lived for 15 years at the end of an unnamed town road. It was basically our driveway. 2 years after moving out, the town named it after my family.

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, and I didn't disagree with any of that - but maybe you're not taking my statement as disagreement. Actually no clue what that was in reply to my statement of not thinking they're closet Packer fans.
I didn't mean to imply disagreement.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard he ran a 4-3 at BC. I wonder if going to a 4-3 from a 3-4 will have big improvement.

Unlikely to matter. Partially because the NFL is a nickel-base league, partially because look at our 3-4 base.

If yesterday Gary was the ROLB, put him in a three point stance, he's now the RDE, boom, you now have a 4-3.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup experience in both, with a leaning towards more a 4-3 base. Truthfully though our body types of our front 7 can manage either.....outside I really believe we need another mobile off ball LB that attacks downhill. I think Quay does well in a 4-3 base but as my MiLB I want someone different.

I'm a little confused by your statement of "outside" and then talking about 'MiLB'. Could you clarify?

Honestly, I think Quay would be a better WILL in a 4-3 than a MIKE anyway, but it'd probably depends who the MIKE is. Typically, the WILL has the RB in man, the MIKE the FB. And in run defense, the MIKE takes on more lead blocks, the WILL is the sideline to sideline player.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a little confused by your statement of "outside" and then talking about 'MiLB'. Could you clarify?

Honestly, I think Quay would be a better WILL in a 4-3 than a MIKE anyway, but it'd probably depends who the MIKE is. Typically, the WILL has the RB in man, the MIKE the FB. And in run defense, the MIKE takes on more lead blocks, the WILL is the sideline to sideline player.

Was speaking mainly to the basic layout of a 4-3, you have one middle and then a will/weak and a strong...of the three backers your Will and Strong are outside of the Mike.

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Was speaking mainly to the basic layout of a 4-3, you have one middle and then a will/weak and a strong...of the three backers your Will and Strong are outside of the Mike.

The problem is that particular 4-3 (4-3 over) is far less popular these day. The far more common 4-3 now days is the 4-3 under, which looks much more like a 3-4. It's sometimes called a 3-4 w/ 4-3 personnel. Seattle under Pete Carrol ran the 4-3 under. Put the SLB on the LOS on the outside shoulder of the TE and you have the basics sorted.

It also helps with our existing personnel well. P. Smith, while a little bit of a waste, is probably our best candidate for SOLB in an under front.

This image, from what I believe is the same site as your image, shows it well.

Attachments

• under43.png
    under43.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 25

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

So who's our Sam?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who's our Sam?

Presently or what I would hope? In the end I don't trust Quay presently to be our leader of the LBs and Devondre is past prime. I personally want Gute to get his top or second LB in this draft in house this April

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Presently or what I would hope? In the end I don't trust Quay presently to be our leader of the LBs and Devondre is past prime. I personally want Gute to get his top or second LB in this draft in house this April
If that is the plan, expect him to get a second/third wave FA linebacker in addition to drafting a LB.