Packers Have “Some” Interest In Bringing Adrian Peterson In For Visit, Likely To Wait Until After Dr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
added when the roster max is 90. Not exactly sure when that is.
I think the rosters can be 90 now already. Per over-the-cap Steelers are at 80 and the rest of the teams have 60-79 players except the Bills. Packers are at 60 ATM. I expect them to hit the draft with about 25-28 slots available for draftees and camp bodies. If history holds expect 8-10 of those on the 53 roster in September.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
asking prices for Revis and for AD... what makes these old(er) guys ask for so much???

I don't get it... is it pride? Haven't they made enough already???

they're take home at that is what?? 5.5mil

if they took half of that they still bring home around 3 mil(i'm talking after taxes)

so why ask for so much and remain unemployed?
Just last year the league valued these guys at 17 mil. 8 mil is a 50% pay cut...
Like it or not, these are both (former) franchise players... both are 32 this year... hardly a wonder to me. I wonder more why they aren't in green and gold?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the rosters can be 90 now already. Per over-the-cap Steelers are at 80 and the rest of the teams have 60-79 players except the Bills. Packers are at 60 ATM. I expect them to hit the draft with about 25-28 slots available for draftees and camp bodies. If history holds expect 8-10 of those on the 53 roster in September.
Ted needs to hand the team off to the next guy with a roster full of guys on rookie contracts. Then there won't have to be a "rebuild". Or at least they have a solid base and cap to rebuild fast.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I'm reading, is that the packers are interested in Peterson. But not for the asking price...

So apparently the packers think he would fit here... what say all the nay-Sayers?

H

HardRightEdge

I stopped forever contemplating player greed when Jones and Kraft invested in on-line football gambling.

Anyway, if somebody pays a player an amount that seems excessive, then the player has been shrewd. If nobody pays it and the player comes down on the asking price we call that a negotiation.

If you want a player to sign with the Packers and don't like the price tag, don't blame the playa, blame the game, quite literally.

Revis and Peterson are HOF caliber players. Seems to me the Packers signed an aging HOF caliber player a few years ago for what? 3 years / $27 million or the like? For a guy they were going play at a position he had not played before?

If somebody wants to pay Revis or Peterson $8 mil, then that's what the market will bear.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I stopped forever contemplating player greed when Jones and Kraft invested in on-line football gambling.

Anyway, if somebody pays a player an amount that seems excessive, then the player has been shrewd. If nobody pays it and the player comes down on the asking price we call that a negotiation.

If you want a player to sign with the Packers and don't like the price tag, don't blame the playa, blame the game, quite literally.

Revis and Peterson are HOF caliber players. Seems to me the Packers signed an aging HOF caliber player a few years ago for what? 3 years / $27 million or the like? For a guy they were going play at a position he had not played before?

If somebody wants to pay Revis or Peterson $8 mil, then that's what the market will bear.

Don't forget it looks like there gonna pay Matthew's almost 16 mill this season and he is a shadow of his former self. He might even play ILB this year. If that's the case who pays a broken down ILB almost 16 mill?

H

HardRightEdge

Don't forget it looks like there gonna pay Matthew's almost 16 mill this season and he is a shadow of his former self. He might even play ILB this year. If that's the case who pays a broken down ILB almost 16 mill?
Who pays Clay Matthews to pay ILB for top $ three years ago? He wasn't much good at it to begin with, and I wouldn't expect him to be much good at it now. Expect him at OLB. Who else ya got? Even if they took an edge rusher in the first round, guys at this draft position are rarely 3 down OLB players in their rookie year.

There's some chatter about Burnett moving to coverage ILB in nickel with Brice moving to safety. Given the high percentage of nickel/dime, which seems to go higher every year, that would make him a de facto starting ILB. This defense is forever behind the speed curve. This would help with the speed-deficient Hyde-Ryan-Whoever charged with handling slots, TEs, RBs. Matthews would not solve that problem. It also gets your best back-7 player in Burnett involved in more plays, if not calling the defense.

That puts pressure on Brice to step up. If that doesn't happen, or they don't select high for a safety :eek:, or they don't move Randall to FS where he belongs :whistling:, they'll back off that plan and regress to what was. :confused:

Of course, what we're most interested in is the selection of a speedy press corner to replace Shields who can take on #1 receivers without help so this defense isn't constantly playing 10 against 11 or badly exposed on the perimeter. Capers is first and foremost a man/blitz guy provided he has the horses. However, I won't be shocked, but certainly disappointed, if that kind of guy is not selected and they roll out Randall, Rollins and House as the starting nickel CB group.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Who pays Clay Matthews to pay ILB for top $ three years ago? He wasn't much good at it to begin with, and I wouldn't expect him to be much good at it now. Expect him at OLB. Who else ya got? Even if they took an edge rusher in the first round, guys at this draft position are rarely 3 down OLB players in their rookie year.

There's some chatter about Burnett moving to coverage ILB in nickel with Brice moving to safety. Given the high percentage of nickel/dime, which seems to go higher every year, that would make him a de facto starting ILB. This defense is forever behind the speed curve. This would help with the speed-deficient Hyde-Ryan-Whoever charged with handling slots, TEs, RBs. Matthews would not solve that problem. It also gets your best back 7-player in Burnett involved in more plays, if not calling the defense.

That puts pressure on Brice to step up. If that doesn't happen, or they don't select high for a safety :eek:, or they don't move Randall to FS where he belongs :whistling:, they'll back off that plan and regress to what was. :confused:

Of course, what we're most interested in is the selection of a speedy press corner to replace Shields who can take on #1 receivers without help so this defense isn't constantly playing 10 against 11 or badly exposed on the perimeter. Capers is first and foremost a man/blitz guy provided he has the horses. However, I won't be shocked, but certainly disappointed, if that kind of guy is not selected and they roll out Randall, Rollins and House as the starting nickel CB group.

I like the idea of moving Burnett up and getting Brice back there as he provides more speed. Brice just needs to work on his ball skills. I'm confident he can get where he needs to be.

I think your going to be "certainly dissapointed" with the Randall, House, Rollins combo day 1. It's my fear as well. I just don't see a corner at 29 that is gonna come and start day 1 but well see. I see some good prospects but there gonna need time to develop.

This whole situation could of been alleviated if Thompson would of addressed corner in free agency. I pushed for Gilmore but would of been happy if he even would of signed Mo Claiborne on the cheap for a 1 year rental. It would of at least given them some time to develop someone.

I just don't see House as a big upgrade. I think Randall is a bust that also can't stay healthy. Not impressed with Rollins either.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning the 'wonder' of google. Your post would have been far more friendly if you had just posted the URL without the google snideness. Did it make you feel better?
Why is it in general.. (not just you) do people use effort to post a question looking for an answer when Google will be faster?

And I was honest, Google works wonders..

But with fist full of beers, I thought I was doing you a solid.. No?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What I'm reading, is that the packers are interested in Peterson. But not for the asking price...

So apparently the packers think he would fit here... what say all the nay-Sayers?
With the number of leaks that actually start from the Packers front office, I'd say anything published is based on rumors, hearsay, or alternative facts.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

With the number of leaks that actually start from the Packers front office, I'd say anything published is based on rumors, hearsay, or alternative facts.
I don't believe leaks in matters such as this emanate from a front office, assuming there is some actual interest, because there is no advantage in doing so.

This stuff is more likely to come from the player's agent.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or blind devotion and wishful thinking

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There's some chatter about Burnett moving to coverage ILB in nickel with Brice moving to safety. Given the high percentage of nickel/dime, which seems to go higher every year, that would make him a de facto starting ILB. This defense is forever behind the speed curve. This would help with the speed-deficient Hyde-Ryan-Whoever charged with handling slots, TEs, RBs. Matthews would not solve that problem. It also gets your best back-7 player in Burnett involved in more plays, if not calling the defense.

Remember the crap I took for this idea? Landon Collins was an allpro last year too....www.packerforum.com/threads/idea-for-defense.59316

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe leaks in matters such as this emanate from a front office, assuming there is some actual interest, because there is no advantage in doing so.

This stuff is more likely to come from the player's agent.
I'm going to go ahead and say the Christine Michael signing coming at the same time as the alternative fact broke down Peterson visit, go hand in hand..... a message to Peterson that we are willing to play without the hof rb if he doesn't negotiate salary....

I'm also going to say that Michael's inability to remember assignments, similar to Janis, is a good indicator that this is a bluff. Michael's skills are great. But he can't seem to put it all together after 4 years in the NFL... you all think Janis a joke, but Michael legit???

So it's a back up plan. More so, it is a leverage move, and insurance move, in the recruiting saga of AP... imo.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm going to go ahead and say the Christine Michael signing coming at the same time as the alternative fact broke down Peterson visit, go hand in hand..... a message to Peterson that we are willing to play without the hof rb if he doesn't negotiate salary....

I'm also going to say that Michael's inability to remember assignments, similar to Janis, is a good indicator that this is a bluff. Michael's skills are great. But he can't seem to put it all together after 4 years in the NFL... you all think Janis a joke, but Michael legit???

So it's a back up plan. More so, it is a leverage move, and insurance move, in the recruiting saga of AP... imo.
It could be a leverage move, but I'm not certain why the Packers would want Peterson. That of course has nothing to do with "leaks" which do not serve the front office.

You know, the issue with a Michael or a Janis is a lot more than "learning the playbook." NFL football is not "just run to the 3 hole" or "go ten yards and out". It's largely improvisational. When talking about a runner having vision or instincts, you're talking about improvisational ability. A receiver has to read the defense and the mind of his QB in choosing the right route option, depth, angle. It's what separates football players from just athletes.

If you're saying that a call is for Michael to stay in to block but he immediately releases, and he makes those kinds of mistakes with regularity, that's another matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I think your going to be "certainly dissapointed" with the Randall, House, Rollins combo day 1. It's my fear as well. I just don't see a corner at 29 that is gonna come and start day 1 but well see. I see some good prospects but there gonna need time to develop.

This whole situation could of been alleviated if Thompson would of addressed corner in free agency. I pushed for Gilmore but would of been happy if he even would of signed Mo Claiborne on the cheap for a 1 year rental. It would of at least given them some time to develop someone.

It's mind-boggling that it would have taken only $5.5 million of this year's cap space to possibly sign a shutdown cornerback in Bouye yet Thompson decided it was smarter to save $2.7 million and bring back House.

While it would have been a risky move it could have resulted in a huge reward. In addition his deal is structured in a way that the team could release him after two seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts