Packers Have “Some” Interest In Bringing Adrian Peterson In For Visit, Likely To Wait Until After Dr

Status
Not open for further replies.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Frank gore is two years older than Peterson......

I just read that John riggins had his best two season of his career at 34 and 35years old.
Seems like if he had listened to you guys, he never would have got his last 62 TDs, that he got from age 32 on.

His "best years" weren't his best per carry

3.1 yards per carry was the year b4 his "best years"

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His "best years" weren't his best per carry

3.1 yards per carry was the year b4 his "best years"

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
2586 yds and 38 TDs in the two years AFTER the injury year you refered to. The parallel to Peterson's situation and this debate is ironic.

Let's not forget Peterson is only going to be 32:)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point we are arguing for nothing.... you want him... most of us don't. None of us get the make or even influence the decision. We will eventually find out the truth... but we won't solve it here.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
2586 yds and 38 TDs in the two years AFTER the injury year you refered to. The parallel to Peterson's situation and this debate is ironic.

Let's not forget Peterson is only going to be 32:)
My only point is his best years were mostly because of the amount of carries he had.

His carry per game b4 his best years were close to 15 carries a game... His best years were about 25 per game..

Average of near 700 carries in 2 years.

One td in every 23.3 carries in his best years... 3.7 yards per carry

Two years b4 that? One td in every 23.25 carries.. With 3.4 yards per carry.

His best years were basically the same as 2 prior...

Just by sheer att he had, he should have had better numbers..

I'm not saying he wasn't good or he was great for being in mid 30s

Just pointing out there's more to it the just he defied age.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want him... John Riggins had some consistency thru out his career..

Ap, has shown drop off

Mike peterson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want him... John Riggins had some consistency thru out his career..

Ap, has shown drop off
Totally agree! AP has dropped off a cliff! If we were to pick up a FA I would choose Blount, I think he has a couple more years left. Why would we want an injured old fart that can't run or block! The queens take our old farts not the other way around!!! Geez this is a no brainier!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe AB doesn't fit into our system..

I think they could... Could..

Sign for min, and they get good look at him for few weeks

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe AB doesn't fit into our system..

I think they could... Could..

Sign for min, and they get good look at him for few weeks

please tell me the b was intentional
so i know if certain jokes are okay here

D

Deleted member 6794

No interest in AP. I am actually fine rolling with Montgomery and Michael. We are still a pass 1st team and the running game is going to be more of a change-up anyway.

The Packers for sure need to add another running back by either signing a veteran or use a mid round pick on the position.

I understand the point you're making, but lets not forget that Rodgers isn't getting any younger either. I don't think it's a terrible idea to take some of the pressure off of Rodgers to be the all time great generational talent that we all know him to be every time he steps onto the field.

This isn't a suggestion to take the ball out of Rodgers' hands. It's a suggestion to make him more effective. Imagine if Rodgers had a legit back that could gain the attention of opposing defenses by drawing the box closer to the line of scrimmage, and let Rodgers use his rollout ability in playaction/misdirection and take some shots down the field either rolling to his left or to his right, or even standing still in the pocket.

Just the threat of having a healthy/productive Peterson in the backfield would likely result in Rodgers throwing up an even better season than the one that he had in 2011.

Again, the suggestion isn't to take the ball out of Rodgers' hands.

I'm trying to make this offense more difficult to defend. Not ensure that Rodgers continues throwing the ball at the rate he had to throw it last year.

The Patriots change their run/pass dynamics all the time. Yes it's the same system, but different gameplans depending upon the personnel. That's why the Patriots are so good. They can adjust from year to year.

If we can get one great year out of Peterson and have a chance to win a Super Bowl, sign me up. We'll worry about 2018 when it gets here. The NFL is a win now league, especially when you have a 33 year old Aaron Rodgers that has only been able to get you one Super Bowl, in no small part due to maintaining the status quo.

The risk v.s. potential reward in this instance I feel like is too great to ignore. JMO.

I'm absolutely in favor of adding a running back making it even tougher to defend the Packers offense but don't think Peterson would accomplish that feat anymore.

You realize this is the man who had his knee turned inside out and 8 months later rushed for 2097 yds......

Do you realize that happened five years ago when Peterson was still in his prime at age 27???

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers for sure need to add another running back by either signing a veteran or use a mid round pick on the position.

I'm absolutely in favor of adding a running back making it even tougher to defend the Packers offense but don't think Peterson would accomplish that feat anymore.

Do you realize that happened five years ago when Peterson was still in his prime at age 27???
Really? You are going to downplay that season to meet your needs?

I don't care what age he was. That was super human. You know this...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God I hope we sign him and he goes allpro... because this, imo, is about as ridiculous as running Favre off starting at age 35 because he is done...

D

Deleted member 6794

Really? You are going to downplay that season to meet your needs?

I don't care what age he was. That was super human. You know this...

I'm not downplaying Peterson's 2012 season by any means but that doesn't change the fact it was five years ago. Since then he has averaged 4.36 yards per carry which is only ranked 12th among qualifying running backs.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't understand why anyone thinks Peterson or the Packers would be interested in one another. It's really simple. Peterson hates playing out of the shotgun formation (he's much worse in the shotgun). McCarthy LOVES the shotgun. That's it, case closed. It would be like signing Dwight Freeney as a 5-technique DE.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The end of this article sums up the AP in Green Bay debate for me:

Bringing Adrian Peterson to Green Bay requires the Packers to overcome these significant hurdles:
  • The Packers organization has to decide if they’re willing to sign a player who has been indicted on charges of reckless or negligent injury to a child.
  • Adrian Peterson’s asking price has to be very low, considering his age and skill set.
  • The Packers have to be convinced that Peterson’s value as a runner is greater than a younger, cheaper alternative that’s likely to be available in the draft or free agency.
Peterson needs to be a slam dunk on all three of those counts for him to end up in Green Bay. There’s more than enough evidence available to consider him anything but.

https://www.thepowersweep.com/blog/heres-why-free-agent-adrian-peterson-is-a-bad-fit-packers

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The end of this article sums up the AP in Green Bay debate for me:

Bringing Adrian Peterson to Green Bay requires the Packers to overcome these significant hurdles:
  • The Packers organization has to decide if they’re willing to sign a player who has been indicted on charges of reckless or negligent injury to a child.
  • Adrian Peterson’s asking price has to be very low, considering his age and skill set.
  • The Packers have to be convinced that Peterson’s value as a runner is greater than a younger, cheaper alternative that’s likely to be available in the draft or free agency.
Peterson needs to be a slam dunk on all three of those counts for him to end up in Green Bay. There’s more than enough evidence available to consider him anything but.

https://www.thepowersweep.com/blog/heres-why-free-agent-adrian-peterson-is-a-bad-fit-packers
The thought has never made any sense to me. I fully expect one of the three picks we have in rounds 4-5 to be a RB. Then a couple of UFA's maybe added when the roster max is 90. Not exactly sure when that is.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The thought has never made any sense to me. I fully expect one of the three picks we have in rounds 4-5 to be a RB. Then a couple of UFA's maybe added when the roster max is 90. Not exactly sure when that is.

Agreed. Lacy or Blount might have made sense, hell even Charles is a better fit than AP. I am still holding out hope that Blount ends up in GB, but I think with the signing of Michael, TT has shown his hand. It's a draft pick and a few UDFA's to compete with Monty and Michael for the 2-3 RB spots.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
asking prices for Revis and for AD... what makes these old(er) guys ask for so much???

I don't get it... is it pride? Haven't they made enough already???

they're take home at that is what?? 5.5mil

if they took half of that they still bring home around 3 mil(i'm talking after taxes)

so why ask for so much and remain unemployed?

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They also don't want to admit it, but they are starting to see the twilight years coming down the pipe. Who knows what we would be like in their situation? I mean, I probably could live off of 3 mil. a year, but I'd need to watch my pennies.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greed, pure unadulterated greed!

can't call it greed with what happens to a lot of players later in life. Gotta call it trying to maximize your earning potential. 5.5 is significantly more than 3. and Revis gets 6 million from the Jets no matter what so say he signs with packers for 2 million he gets another 4 from the Jets

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably their agents work. Some pander to their ego and may have provided an inflated opinion.

It'll come down once they have zero offers later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts