Packers Front Office Under Fire

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I think in 2005, Nall and Rodgers were in a very similar situations as Love and Boyle were last season. You got one guy that was in the Packer system for 2-3 years (Nall/Boyle) and a rookie QB that was passed up by a lot of teams in the first round (Rodgers/Love), but viewed as a potential future starter, to replace an aging veteran (Favre/Rodgers). The biggest difference was that Rodgers had a normal camp and full schedule of preseason games to improve and show the Packers what he could do, Love wasn't given either of those opportunities.
Nall also was in nfl Europe before the packers?? i think he never threw an int with the packers and then went to buffalo

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers got better every year, to start his career. First couple years McCarthy barely let him throw more than 10 yds down field. 3rd year he almost came back against Dallas, when Favre got hurt. Had his first deep throws completed in front of everyone, and shown some A+ scrambling ability....

So love needs to look better. To keep par.

Also..... Julio Jones was available. And we were not able to try and get him. That sucks. AR would've been sure to come back....

We needed that imo

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers got better every year, to start his career. First couple years McCarthy barely let him throw more than 10 yds down field. 3rd year he almost came back against Dallas, when Favre got hurt. Had his first deep throws completed in front of everyone, and shown some A+ scrambling ability....

So love needs to look better. To keep par.

Also..... Julio Jones was available. And we were not able to try and get him. That sucks. AR would've been sure to come back....

We needed that imo
Collinsworth didnt think so

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers didn't look like he'd be an NFL QB that amounted to **** in my eyes either until his 3rd year. I'm so used to being wrong, it doesn't pain me to say I was wrong on that too.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers didn't look like he'd be an NFL QB that amounted to **** in my eyes either until his 3rd year. I'm so used to being wrong, it doesn't pain me to say I was wrong on that too.
My Cal Bear fanatic friend told me back then that he wanted Rodger's to be good but he didn't think he had the arm strength. I told him that in pre-season he looked to me like he had a lot of arm. The arm has a lot to do with being a good QB. Yes, there are a lot of other things but you have to have a good arm. A really good one.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hated the Rodgers pick, as well as the Love pick. I think I might have even wondered what the hell Wolf was doing when he traded for Favre. So much goes into what makes an NFL QB pretty special and even the guys doing it professionally, are often wrong on predicting it.

I remember Holgrem talking about wanting to yank Favre out of a game or two. Hell, Glanville thought Favre was nothing but a knucklehead and I'm sure thought the Falcons had just swindled the Packers when they got first rounder for him.

I have no clue what Love will end up doing for the Packers, but the Packers obviously saw something in him and for now, that is enough for me. But people that are already wanting to grade him, either way, really need to look at the history of NFL QB's and if nothing else, just the history of our past 2 HOF QB's.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why is this eating at you so much Captain? If you aren't using this as proof that Love might have been a bad pick, why continually bring up what many think is an irrelevant thing. What are your exact concerns about Love, besides this one trivial thing?

In my opinion Love not being able to beat out Boyle isn't irrelevant at all just because you decided to ignore it.

IMO Love would have moved past Boyle pretty quick in the case of an injury to Rodgers. I'll say again, I don't think the FO wanted Love to play a snap last year.

With the Packers coming off making it to the NFCCG the previous year Gutekunst shouldn't have used the team's first rounder on a player he didn't want to take any snaps as a rookie.

I will let you guys continue to wring your hands over what I would consider old, inconsequential news, that you seem to refuse to look at all the facts of why it was what it was.

Love not being able to move past Boyle is the only fact in that matter, and you're the one ignoring it.

After reading this 2005 article, I am shocked they didn't cut Rodgers. In this reporters eyes, Nall was clearly the "better" QB. :rolleyes: Oh wait, he was saying Nall was at the time, better prepared to back-up Favre.

Backup QB: Not knowing how much longer Brett Favre will continue to play the Packers addressed their future needs at the position by drafting Aaron Rodgers with the 24th pick in the 2004 draft. Rodgers appears to be an exceptional value having fallen from the potential first pick in the draft to the Packers. Rodgers has a strong arm, good accuracy and could potentially take over next year as the Packers trigger man. Despite his long-term potential, it was apparent in training camp that Rodgers isn't ready for prime time yet. As a result, Craig Nall will once again serve as Favre's game day backup.

Interestingly Rodgers was the backup from the get-go and Nall wasn't active for a single game in 2005.

I think we get to see see rookie QB's play or even be backups, ready to play, on teams that aren't suppose to be vying for a Super Bowl. However, the Packers were 13-3 in 2019, I don't think they wanted to have to hand that team to a rookie QB if Rodgers went down.

True, that's why the Packers shouldn't have selected a quarterback in the first round of last year in the first place.

If GB thought Boyle was so much better than Love, why would our FO send Boyle packing? Bye bye

I get that people may have disagreed that GB should’ve went QB last draft, heck I was one of them initially I thought it would be later also. But from a purely player perspective, I like this kid. He’s got good vibes and he came on strong in his College Sophomore season and actually outplayed Justin Herbert in their only head to head comparison against Michigan State. Love’s Offense scored 31 points to Herberts 7. That’s impressive.

The Packers didn't send Boyle packing but rightfully didn't re-sign him for $2.5 million a season after spending a first rounder on a quarterback.

As a side note, Love's offense only scored 24 points against Michigan State in 2018 with him struggling with no touchdowns and two interceptions. His performance wasn't impressive at all.

But people that are already wanting to grade him, either way, really need to look at the history of NFL QB's and if nothing else, just the history of our past 2 HOF QB's.

Once again, there hasn't been a single poster already grading Love. If you take a look at the history of NFL quarterbacks the odds are stacked against him ending up even an above average one though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just would like Love to sit another year. Hopefully under ARod because unless Bortles comes in and plays well; they will have to put Jordan in there. For now, both Love and Bortles are getting important reps and until the season starts; I have no idea how either one of them will do. Pre-season is good for looking at mechanics and other things but it does not show what will happen when the games are real. For me, Bortles past is exactly that...the past.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In my opinion Love not being able to beat out Boyle isn't irrelevant at all just because you decided to ignore it.
Oh I haven't ignored it at all, that is pretty hard to when you bring it up with pretty much anything relating to Love ;)

I simply have noted it as old no longer relevant news and moved past it. :)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I haven't ignored it at all, that is pretty hard to when you bring it up with pretty much anything relating to Love ;)

I simply have noted it as old no longer relevant news and moved past it. :)

So when Nathan Peterman threw 5 interceptions in one game, did we just ignore it the following season? I'm not worried because Love couldn't beat out Boyle but it is something to keep in mind going forward.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we'd have been able to actually see Love play vs. Boyle, maybe you'd have a point. so again, you're guessing, like the rest of us. Can we get past it? please. He was listed behind boyle on a meaningless depth chart we never had to use, we get it. and that means????? jack squat as far as i'm concerned.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Interestingly Rodgers was the backup from the get-go and Nall wasn't active for a single game in 2005.
And Rodgers had post draft OTA's, rookie mini camp, team mini camps, and a full training camp with preseason games to prepare. Love had what? "Hey Jordan, this is Gute. Get to GreenBay, sit in your room to clear Covid protocol and study the playbook, we're playing in a few weeks so be ready."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anyone ever feel like this when it comes to something that seems pretty straight forward?

Reaction score
I thought Rodgers came on pretty strong there in 2009 (2nd as a starter). The season he lost in the shootout with Warner. It was his 5th best season from a statistical point of view.
We’re all way wrong Mondio. Some just admit the truth more than others snd the ones that don’t admit it are usually the worst offenders.
I prefer to keep banging my head against the wall hoping to knock some sense into my head or to gain some perspective, thus far it’s only led to lots of copays and deductibles. :tup:

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collinsworth didnt think so

Well does collinsworth remember why Favre for hurt? I remember our oline getting completely destroyed. Completely....and Favre was taking a beating...finally got injured.

Rodgers played the whole game on the run. Like running for his life... almost came back...

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well does collinsworth remember why Favre for hurt? I remember our oline getting completely destroyed. Completely....and Favre was taking a beating...finally got injured.

Rodgers played the whole game on the run. Like running for his life... almost came back...
A truly impressive performance and at the time I was convinced he would be a bust. This game changed everything

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, I never really had an opinion on Rodgers until I (in my mind) saw that he really did have a good arm. Preseason. But I never thought it was a bad idea for them to draft a QB when they did. Same now.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, I never really had an opinion on Rodgers until I (in my mind) saw that he really did have a good arm. Preseason. But I never thought it was a bad idea for them to draft a QB when they did. Same now.
False parallel. Rodgers hasn’t been threatening to retire for years.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we'd have been able to actually see Love play vs. Boyle, maybe you'd have a point. so again, you're guessing, like the rest of us. Can we get past it? please. He was listed behind boyle on a meaningless depth chart we never had to use, we get it. and that means????? jack squat as far as i'm concerned.
It’s pretty obviously means the coaches thought Boyle was better last season. Depth charts matter. However, Gute obviously believes Love will be better than Boyle after a year or two.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattered so much neither one played a meaningful snap.

Hold up. Please explain this. Did the fact that Rodgers not get injured mean being inactive is not to be considered? So only if a player in a position group is injured should being inactive matter? Cause i thought being available to replace an injured player indicated the coach thinks you’re better than NOT being available to replace an injured player.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold up. Please explain this. Did the fact that Rodgers not get injured mean being inactive is not to be considered? So only if a player in a position group is injured should being inactive matter? Cause i thought being available to replace an injured player indicated the coach thinks you’re better than NOT being available to replace an injured player.
for a short term plug in, yeah it matters. Boyle had a couple more years experience than the guy that didn't even get a training camp or in person meetings to start his 1st year. Had it become apparent that Rodgers was down for the count with 9 games to go? and Love is now getting some actual work in practice and he can't step ahead of Boyle, maybe there is some meaning. But as it stood, they didn't need either, so no, I don't think it matters a bit who was listed where on the depth chart. It has nothing to do with who's better but quite simply was a function of who was least likely to commit a mistake in a short term pinch.

I really don't get what's so hard to understand about that? The fact that Boyle was in a on paper position we didn't need and never used says nothing about what they thought of love other than he was inexperienced.

Members online

Latest posts