Packers Depth Grades

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You realize that edge rushers aren't part of the defensive line, don't you???

Really?! Huh, I'll have to let Cameron Jordan he no longer plays DE on the dline. Also Calais Campbell and Joey Bosa. Yes, the Packers don't run a 4-3 base defense, HOWEVER, if they had a good edge rusher on the dline they would have the option of doing so, or just letting a 3-4 DE get some pass rush. Just because the Packers don't have a great 3-4 edge rusher doesn't mean 3-4 defenses don't have defensive ends that can rush the passer.

D

Deleted member 6794

Really?! Huh, I'll have to let Cameron Jordan he no longer plays DE on the dline. Also Calais Campbell and Joey Bosa. Yes, the Packers don't run a 4-3 base defense, HOWEVER, if they had a good edge rusher on the dline they would have the option of doing so, or just letting a 3-4 DE get some pass rush. Just because the Packers don't have a great 3-4 edge rusher doesn't mean 3-4 defenses don't have defensive ends that can rush the passer.

You list Matthews and Perry as outside linebackers, therefore the edge rushers are definitely not part of the defensive line.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree there's definitely reason for concern about the wide receiver corps entering this season although Graham offers another veteran option for Rodgers to throw to.

I'm still way more worried about the defensive side of the ball until proven otherwise, especially with the depth at outside linebacker.

I am so used to the defensive side being a concern, I sometimes overlook it, especially given that the Packers have been pretty successful, despite average to below average defenses. Do we need a better defense to win a Super Bowl, heck yes. However, I think AR and the offense is the most important component of this team. Until we can field a top 5 shutdown defense, the offense is going to need to put up some points, as well as keep the defense off the field. If Davante Adams goes down and/or Cobb, there could be a huge drop in production from that WR group, unless we see someone step up. A sputtering offense would probably crush any hopes of a SB run.

It's hard to know what we will see from this WR group, but beyond Adams and Cobb, there isn't a ton of experience or proven talent.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way i'm concerned about our offense is if the QB goes down or we have to go 3 deep at a receiving position or RB or something again and call that guy a starter. with relative health, the offense will be pretty good and I'm not concerned. I actually think this is one of the more balanced offenses we'll head into the season with we've had in some time. Just not as deep at WR, but then we don't need to be either.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since CM3 chimed in on this, I thought it might be fun to do during the most boring time of the year...

QB: A (Rodgers, DeShone Kizer, Brett Hundley, Tim Boyle) - Pending no injuries, I fully expect Hundley to be traded to the first team that looses their starting QB in pre-season. If we can get ANYTHING for him, thats solid. Tim Boyle to the practice squad. They can’t have 4 QBs on a 53 man roster...can they?
RB: B (Aaron Jones, Jamal Williams, Ty Montgomery, Davante Mayes) - 3 guys I love, but really unproven still at this point. Strong depth though. Loose one guy, you still have two solid options.
WR: B+ (Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Geronimo Allison, Michael Clark, DeAngelo Yancey, Trevor Davis, J’Mon Moore, Valen-Scantling, St. Browneious) From a purely depth perspective, this is a A+, but a ton of young unproven names in this bunch. I expect one of the three rookies to stand out and either Clark/Davis/Yancey. I like the speed of the young, the talent of Adams and the Rodgers-Cobb relationship. I like Allison, but I expected more out of him last year. I keep having nightmares about him fumbling the ball at the end of the Carolina game. That being said, remember Adams in his second year? Hoping Allison has a come back year. If not, its his last year in a packers uniform.
TE: B+ (Graham, Lewis, Kendricks) If you lose Graham, your pretty much back to our TE situation the past 6 years. But the addition of Graham and one of the best blocking TE in the league, this is a massive upgrade to years past.
OL: C- (David Bahkitari, Jason Spriggs, Lane Taylor, Lucas Patrick, Corey Linsley, Justin McCray, Cole Madison, Byron Bell, Kyle Murphy, Bryan Bulaga) I am no professional in evaluating oline talent, but I really only feel comfortable with 3 guys on this list. The most underrated player in the NFL (IMO- David Bahkitari), Corey Linsley, and because he had a decent year last year Lane Taylor. The rest of kind of just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Not a good position to be in with #12’s life depending on them.

DL: A- (Mo Wilkerson, Kenney Clark, Mike Daniels, Dean Lowry, Montravious Adams, James Looney) What is not to love about this grouping? Not a huge fan of the backups if one of the big boys gets hurt, but that starting line is MEAN. If those three can stay healthy this season, suddenly the Packers have the best 3-4 DL in the league.
OLB: D- (Nick Perry, CM3, Vince Beigel, Chris Odom, Kyler Frackell) This group is bad. The only possible upside is if Vince Beigel becomes a beast. Its likely the Badger homer in me, but seeing what TJ Watt has done in Pitt, I am beginning to think he was the reason Beigel looked so good in his last year. We need some serious help here.
ILB: C+ (Jake Ryan, Blake Martinez, Reggie Gilbert, Oren Burks)- About as average as it can get. But having Blake Martinez in the mix does add on that little + sign. I’m part of the small minority that actually likes Jake Ryan. There is an upside - Oren Burks could be a stud? There is a downside - Oren Burks could be the biggest waste of a 3rd rounder.
CB: (Kevin King, Tramon Williams, Davon House, Josh Jackson, Jaire Alexander, Lenny Pipkins, Josh Hawkins, Demetri Goodson, Quinten Rollins) Am I missing anyone? I expect Hawkins/Goodson/Rollins to be gone. Suddenly a gaping hole, has lots of potential. This one I am going to remain ungraded. Considering it could be one of the best groups in the NFL next year, or yet again the worst...I will grade by week 8.
S: B (Haha, Josh Jones, Evans, Brice) I LOVE Brice, but have no idea how he comes back from the injury. Jones showed potential last year and Jones showed no flashes of no potential. Expected from a rookie, but a massive question mark. Haha is the sole glue to this group. Get the man a contract!

1. At receiver we have 1 true number 1 type, if Adams goes down our passing attack will look ugly unless multiple inexperienced players can step up. Cobb is a good slot guy but that's it. Allison hasnt shown he can be the guy and then you've got the guys behind him who haven't done anything in the league.

2. Biegel had a down year his senior campaign and managed less than half the sacks and TFFLs that he had in 15. No Watt did not make him look better, rather Biegel struggled that year with a messed up foot that required a long term fix right before his rookie campaign. Vince has great feet and instincts but he wasn't quick enough to offset a lack of strength. This year he's coming in nearly 10 pounds heavier and from what we've been hearing he looks a lot better. I wouldn't be surprised if him and Gilbert turn into solid backups this year.

3. Dix was at best inconsistent last year and apparently he decline to participate in OTAs because of financial reasons... so add stupid to the inconsistent label. You're entering a contract year, put your best foot forward or go be mediocre somewhere else.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You list Matthews and Perry as outside linebackers, therefore the edge rushers are definitely not part of the defensive line.

Edge rushers can be at different positions. The original poster used Dline and LB so, to stay within the context of the original post, I stuck with that designation, breaking up the category of edge rusher into LBs and Dline.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am so used to the defensive side being a concern, I sometimes overlook it, especially given that the Packers have been pretty successful, despite average to below average defenses. Do we need a better defense to win a Super Bowl, heck yes. However, I think AR and the offense is the most important component of this team. Until we can field a top 5 shutdown defense, the offense is going to need to put up some points, as well as keep the defense off the field. If Davante Adams goes down and/or Cobb, there could be a huge drop in production from that WR group, unless we see someone step up. A sputtering offense would probably crush any hopes of a SB run.

It's hard to know what we will see from this WR group, but beyond Adams and Cobb, there isn't a ton of experience or proven talent.

The Packers definitely need Allison or one of the rookies to contribute this season. I'm not overly concerned with Adams, Cobb and Graham being the primary targets entering 2018 though.

Edge rushers can be at different positions. The original poster used Dline and LB so, to stay within the context of the original post, I stuck with that designation, breaking up the category of edge rusher into LBs and Dline.

The OP used DL, OLB and ILB. By definition outside linebackers are the edge rushers in a 3-4 defense. If the Packers used a 4-3 Matthews and Perry wouldn't be defensive ends.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers definitely need Allison or one of the rookies to contribute this season. I'm not overly concerned with Adams, Cobb and Graham being the primary targets entering 2018 though.

I was referring to the Packers lack of depth beyond those 3 players at WR. No doubt, if all 3 stay healthy the passing game should be top 10, but what are the odds of all 3 staying healthy?

D

Deleted member 6794

I was referring to the Packers lack of depth beyond those 3 players at WR. No doubt, if all 3 stay healthy the passing game should be top 10, but what are the odds of all 3 staying healthy?

That's why I mentioned that either Allison or one of the rookies have to contribute this season. I'm optimistic at least one of them will provide a reliable target for Rodgers though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That's why I mentioned that either Allison or one of the rookies have to contribute this season. I'm optimistic at least one of them will provide a reliable target for Rodgers though.
I think Rodgers is comfortable with Allison and he does have some skills that aren’t measured. He can be a reliable contributor imo.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Rodgers is comfortable with Allison and he does have some skills that aren’t measured. He can be a reliable contributor imo.

While that might be true the Packers would definitely benefit from one of the rookies being able to develop into a deep threat defenses would have to account for.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While that might be true the Packers would definitely benefit from one of the rookies being able to develop into a deep threat defenses would have to account for.
I think the odds are good that one of those 3 will work his way into some catches at some point this season.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he stayed another year? There's no guarantee he plays well as a junior, he might have hurt his draft stock. I just don't find it encouraging when a team trades a player at the most important position for an underwhelming first round disappointment.

What if he's Favre 2.0. Traded for nothing, and goes on to be a HOFer?

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cleveland got rid of Kizer because they knew that they were picking a QB with the first pick. They needed a veteran to hold down the fort until Mayfield is ready. That Browns team has been awful for the last 2 years and will only be a little better next year. Kizer was thrown into the fire on a bad team. Kizer should be much better with some time learning the NFL QB position from MM and ARod.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if he's Favre 2.0. Traded for nothing, and goes on to be a HOFer?

Then he'd be the exception?! Also, slightly different set of circumstances and, more importantly, a future first round pick is worth more than an already proven disappointing first round selection.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cleveland got rid of Kizer because they knew that they were picking a QB with the first pick. They needed a veteran to hold down the fort until Mayfield is ready. That Browns team has been awful for the last 2 years and will only be a little better next year. Kizer was thrown into the fire on a bad team. Kizer should be much better with some time learning the NFL QB position from MM and ARod.

THANK YOU

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coach of the Falcons at the time did not like Favre. They traded him to us for a 1st whereas they drafted him in the 2nd. Never liked that he threw so many interceptions but he was the best thing that had happened to GB since Lombardi.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts