Packers defense hits back

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Green Bay Packers defensive tackle Jerel Worthy (99) sacks Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler (6) in the fourth quarter at Lambeau Field. Mandatory Credit: Benny Sieu-US PRESSWIRE

By Travis Duncan
Packer Forum writer

The Green Bay Packers defense dominated the Chicago Bears from start to finish Thursday night.

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler was intercepted four times, and sacked seven times.

It was as though the Bears offensive line gave up trying to protect the quarterback, and he knew it.

"I'm sick an tired of being pushed around," is what Jay Cutler's body language said as he fought through a post-game press conference, after the 23-1o Packer win.

"Yeah, I dream about getting sacked seven times and picked four times. No," He sarcastically reply to a reporters question.

Credit Clay Matthews who had one of his best NFL games ever, and he has had quite a few. Matthews totaled three sacks but put relentless video-game like hyper-pressure on Cutler.

Cutler was so frustrated as one point that he gave Charles Woodson a love tap with his foot. Cutler was caught by NFL network cameras screaming at his left tackle J'Marcus Webb.

The Packers blitzed Cutler 13 times Thursday night, producing four sacks and two of his four interceptions, according to ESPN.

The Packers last recorded seven sacks in a game 2005, also against the Bears, against a quarterback named Chad Hutchinson. Hutchison never played in another NFL game after that.

Jay Cutler's career will continue but he drops to 1-6 lifetime against Green Bay.

Cutler & Co. were quite confident after beating up on an Indianapolis team in Week 1 that is start from scratch mode. And Cutler's comments, notably "good luck", no doubt served as motivation for the Pack. Yes even in pro sports, a few playground words can get a team riled up.

Perhaps it was the Packers secondary who is sick and tired of being pushed around, in the media.

Woodson said the Packers did not take Cutlers comments personal but did say "we thought it was kind of funny that all of a sudden they’re the team to beat because they’ve got a couple new guys.”

"Frankly, I’d rather be known for defense," Mike McCarthy said post-game.

"And I’ve always stated that. I mean, we have a great quarterback and we have a very good offense. We feel like we’re building, we’re building something special with this defense."

The Packers limited the Bears to 168 total yards, 74 passing and 94 rushing.

Offensively Aaron Rodgers finished 22/32 with 1 TD and 1 INT. It wasn't a horrible outing by Rodgers it wasn't a hall fame game tape either. For some it illustrated just how badly the Packers missed Greg Jennings. It's hard to underestimate what kind of problems it causes defenses trying to keep a body near Jermichael Finely, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Jennings.

Cedric Benson carried the ball 20 times for 81 yards.

"Cedric Benson is one of those men that was put on this earth to run the football," McCarthy said.

"I thought Cedric is starting to look a lot more comfortable in our offense. I thought it was important to get him back with his toes at seven (yards) and play where he’s played his whole life."

After losing to the 49ers, the internet was rife with insider analysis that said, 'hey maybe the Packers aren't any good' or 'that whole Super Bowl win and 15-1 season was a mirage'.

Did the Packers worry? Kind of.

"You guys had some worry and we were kind of feeling some of the panic," Rodgers admitted.

"We showed a clip in one of our meetings of the scene from Semi-Pro when Will Ferrell is fighting the bear and the bear gets out of the cage and it’s the scene where he’s yelling ‘Everybody panic!’ That’s kind of a joke, just because inside of the facility there wasn’t any panic."

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts