Packers dead last in production from 1st-round pick since 2010

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lmao... ya.... you keep rolling out all of these ....ahem... "alarming" stats captaingooglemaster. My Lord.

Now we're supposed to what? "Take a look at the number of starts per game played by the four rookies"? WHAT?!

Hey.. can you google: "Packers rookies season average snaps per game minus draft position divided by age multiplied by the square root of all offensive line players with the name Bob?"

I'm pretty sure that will prove some alarming things about Ted Thompson, and quite possibly even uncover an organized plot to infiltrate the Lambeau offices with little green men from the planet Orbitron.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries aren 't the reason for the Packers being last in this category. Taking a look at the number of starts per game played by the four rookies, the Packers are still dead last (although three of the four guys drafted actually play a position where the best players normally start and play most of the game).

Anybody not realizing the Packers haven't done great in the first round sonce drafting Matthews in 2009 isn't all that much into reality.

Isn't it harder to earn a staring spot while rehabbing instead of practicing?

Also, Buluga probably would have added 16 starts per 16 games played without tearing his ACL.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Isn't it harder to earn a staring spot while rehabbing instead of practicing?

Also, Buluga probably would have added 16 starts per 16 games played without tearing his ACL.

Bulaga would have actually added another 23 starts (he missed seven games in 2012 as well) if he would have stayed healthy and he has so far shown the most out of the four.

The thing though is that out of those four only one was a starter immediately from day 1 (and that was Perry who has been inconsistent at best). Two out of the four (Sherrod and Jones) haven't started a single game so far for the Packers, that is not acceptable IMO.

BTW I know Sherrod has been injured the last two seasons, but he disn't start in the first 14 games of his rookie season either.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga would have actually added another 23 starts (he missed seven games in 2012 as well) if he would have stayed healthy and he has so far shown the most out of the four.

The thing though is that out of those four only one was a starter immediately from day 1 (and that was Perry who has been inconsistent at best). Two out of the four (Sherrod and Jones) haven't started a single game so far for the Packers, that is not acceptable IMO.

BTW I know Sherrod has been injured the last two seasons, but he disn't start in the first 14 games of his rookie season either.

My bad. So 23 more would have helped the starts per games ratio even more, showing how injuries did have an effect on it.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

My bad. So 23 more would have helped the starts per games ratio even more, showing how injuries did have an effect on it.

That would have leapfroged the Packers to 30th in the league in this category, not that much better either.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And, in the games in which Sherrod played he really didn't look very impressive.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What games did he really play though?
Not many.
You are correct, not many.
He played in only 5 games his rookie year at both tackle spots.
He was inactive for the 1st 3 games of the season and dressed for 6 in which he didn't play at all.
Those stats alone tell me he wasn't impressing the coaching staff.
Clifton was on his last legs and when Bulaga went down they turned to Newhouse Rather than Sherrod.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

He was inactive for the 1st 3 games of the season and dressed for 6 in which he didn't play at all.
Clifton was on his last legs and when Bulaga went down they turned to Newhouse Rather than Sherrod.

Mostly agree, Newhouse replaced Clifton at LT though.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mostly agree, Newhouse replaced Clifton at LT though.
True he did.
They moved him to LT after Cliffy went down but he had been playing RT after Bulaga went down.
That's when they put Sherrod at RT.
Not only did Sherrod (LT of the future) never get a start, when Cliffy went down they didn't trust him at LT and instead slid Newhouse over there.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're saying it was a non-impactful 1st round pick by Thompson? Or a poor pick?

I remember many mocks that spring had us taking Brooks Reid, OLB from Arizona.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're saying it was a non-impactful 1st round pick by Thompson? Or a poor pick?

I remember many mocks that spring had us taking Brooks Reid, OLB from Arizona.
For sure non-impactful.
Poor pick? We never really have had a chance to find out. He may have turned into the player most folks expected him to be in his second year, but he has never had a second year.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For sure non-impactful.
Poor pick? We never really have had a chance to find out. He may have turned into the player most folks expected him to be in his second year, but he has never had a second year.
To be fair he didn't really have much of a first year either since they didn't have an offseason that year. I could see a reasoning for them going with Newhouse over Sherrod even if they thought Sherrod was better just because of the experience and no offseason for Sherrod (not that that's the case just saying I could see them doing it)

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair he didn't really have much of a first year either since they didn't have an offseason that year. I could see a reasoning for them going with Newhouse over Sherrod even if they thought Sherrod was better just because of the experience and no offseason for Sherrod (not that that's the case just saying I could see them doing it)
1st round picks have been a bust. Let's leave it at that.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only legitimate bust has been Harrell.
That's true.
And even him, that was a lot to do with injuries right away.
It's not our current trainer who is to blame.
It's the cheese diet up there, or the beer. Something has to change.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true.
And even him, that was a lot to do with injuries right away.
It's not our current trainer who is to blame.
It's the cheese diet up there, or the beer. Something has to change.
Hope your faith in TT and his college appraisals are correct. From my perspective only Rodgers and Matthews are obviously legit. All of TT's other #1's, including Hawk haven't lived up to the cost and the selection. Not intetested in the injury dialog--Particularly with Harrell.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope your faith in TT and his college appraisals are correct. From my perspective only Rodgers and Matthews are obviously legit. All of TT's other #1's, including Hawk haven't lived up to the cost and the selection. Not intetested in the injury dialog--Particularly with Harrell.

So you're just a TT hater thats all. Your assessment is inaccurate. Injuries have to be factored in whether you like it or not.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope your faith in TT and his college appraisals are correct. From my perspective only Rodgers and Matthews are obviously legit. All of TT's other #1's, including Hawk haven't lived up to the cost and the selection. Not inteRested in the injury dialog--Particularly with Harrell.
That's mostly true.
But then again Shields, Tramon, Collins, Lacy, Sitton, Jordy, Jones, Cobb have outlived up to their selection spots too.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers too.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk
Agree with all. Frustrating thing is that #1 has been spotty. If you are going to deploy draft and develop, IMO, that applies to 4 or maybe 3 through 7 in the draft. #1/#2 should consistently see productive playing time right out of the shoot. Particularly when the GB staff states they take the best player available.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're just a TT hater thats all. Your assessment is inaccurate. Injuries have to be factored in whether you like it or not.
Nice that you pass judgement to a new poster immediately. Injuries are part if the game for every team in the NFL. As GB did when they recently won the Super Bowl.

My assessment is fact based not emotional. Bottom line is that TT needs to provide impact players every year in rounds 1 and 2. If free agency doesn't plug holes in the roster, the draft needs to provide a better batting average.

Please refrain from personal attacks.

Members online

Latest posts