Packers dead last in production from 1st-round pick since 2010

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's alarming? The amount of bad luck? If so, yes I agree that's alarming.

You said it yourself that "injuries are mainly responsible for it". Injuries are exactly the reason.

What exactly are you suggesting is "alarming"?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

What's alarming? The amount of bad luck? If so, yes I agree that's alarming.

You said it yourself that "injuries are mainly responsible for it". Injuries are exactly the reason.

What exactly are you suggesting is "alarming"?

The injuries are one factor that is alaraming and I´ve stated what I would do about that. The production when those guys were healthy is another thing I´m worried about.

Bulaga has been a decent tackle, no doubt about that. What people tend to forget though is that Sherrod didn´t show a lot before his horrific injury in Week 15 (he played a total of 115 snaps before that with no starts). Perry and Jones haven´t shown a lot for first round picks either so far.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish he would just trade out of the first round. It seems like a limited draft board interferes with TT's gut feeling in the first round. He seems much more comfortable after the first round. Right now the only picks I would feel comfortable with in the first round are Ebron or Amaro at TE. I keep getting increasingly skeptical feelings about Ha Ha and Mosley.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The injuries are one factor that is alaraming and I´ve stated what I would do about that. The production when those guys were healthy is another thing I´m worried about.

Bulaga has been a decent tackle, no doubt about that. What people tend to forget though is that Sherrod didn´t show a lot before his horrific injury in Week 15 (he played a total of 115 snaps before that with no starts). Perry and Jones haven´t shown a lot for first round picks either so far.

If memory serves me right, they tried him at Guard in training camp that season because of Clifton and Bulaga being at tackle. That was an epic failure. I didn't like the pick when they made it but looking back I don't really think there was a better option unless he moved up. I don't think he was brought in to start right away. They wanted to squeeze another year out of Clifton and develop Sherrod. I still have hope for him.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish he would just trade out of the first round. It seems like a limited draft board interferes with TT's gut feeling in the first round. He seems much more comfortable after the first round. Right now the only picks I would feel comfortable with in the first round are Ebron or Amaro at TE. I keep getting increasingly skeptical feelings about Ha Ha and Mosley.

He better fix the defense through free agency if he wants to take a TE in the 1st round or I will lose my mind.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If memory serves me right, they tried him at Guard in training camp that season because of Clifton and Bulaga being at tackle. I don't think he was brought in to start right away. They wanted to squeeze another year out of Clifton and develop Sherrod. I still have hope for him.

I think it´s too early to call him a bust as well, but he´s not a sure thing either as he didn´t impress anyone in 2011 before he got injured. Marshall Newhouse was in front of him on the depth chart, and we know how that worked out.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have said that in the past.
I would like TT to trade out of the 1st round this year.
He seems to have better luck in rounds 2-5.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IMHO I think alot of fans over rate Bulaga.
He was terribly inconsistent at right tackle, and we haven't even seen him at left tackle.
As for Sherrod, I doubt that he will ever be a starting tackle for the Green bay Packers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I also would like to see him trade back to around pick 36-42 from 21. Trading back twice to pick 40 could net three extra mid 3rd round picks. That would get us six of the top 85 picks in the draft and could make for a very strong '14 draft class considering we also will likely have 2 picks in the 4th and 6th rounds as well.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO I think alot of fans over rate Bulaga.
He was terribly inconsistent at right tackle, and we haven't even seen him at left tackle.
As for Sherrod, I doubt that he will ever be a starting tackle for the Green bay Packers.

I don't know if he will or won't but the 0-line is a position that often takes a few years.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He better fix the defense through free agency if he wants to take a TE in the 1st round or I will lose my mind.

I'm on board with that thinking. If Thompson has consistent success any where in the draft, it's at offensive skill positions (quarterback, running back and receiver). I'm perfectly fine with TT drafting Ebron. Especially with the recent high picks like Perry, Worthy, Jones, ect...

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm on board with that thinking. If Thompson has consistent success any where in the draft, it's at offensive skill positions (quarterback, running back and receiver). I'm perfectly fine with TT drafting Ebron. Especially with the recent high picks like Perry, Worthy, Jones, ect...

I don't care about his track record when it comes to what position he drafts where. What I'm saying is if he takes a TE in the 1st round that better mean he has brought in 2-4 defensive free agents (not our own current defensive free agnets either) in an attempt to shore up the D. If that doesn't happen and he takes a TE in the 1st round I will blow a gasket. That pick HAS to be defensive if he doesn't utilize free agency IMO. I'll take my chances with Bostik or Quarless over a 1st RD TE.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care about his track record when it comes to what position he drafts where. What I'm saying is if he takes a TE in the 1st round that better mean he has brought in 2-4 defensive free agents (not our own current defensive free agnets either) in an attempt to shore up the D. If that doesn't happen and he takes a TE in the 1st round I will blow a gasket. That pick HAS to be defensive if he doesn't utilize free agency IMO. I'll take my chances with Bostik or Quarless over a 1st RD TE.

agreed. we'll move the ball with the guys we have. we need defense first. period. a TE would be "nice" but we need d.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they have an all pro level grade on a TE and an ehh grade on 1st rd defensive players remaining, you take the TE.

Chances are this years rookies won't contribute much to a defensive turnaround. It's the past few years that will contribute to a turn around. A healthy Matthews and Hayward would do wonders

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, when one shatters his leg and another tears an ACL, of course the number of starts and games played won't be very high.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I would love Mosley to be our man in the middle. Not sure about HaHa.

As far as our recent track record in the 1st - just dumb *** bad luck. Plain and simple. Its not like he took a risk on an oft injured uber stud like Harrell, he took solid prospects in his picks. He had some tremendous success with earlier 1st rounders, so I don't think it is anything to do with TT's MO or anything he is doing different. Just dumb *** bad luck.

That being said, this is a deep draft. If we can trade back into the 2nd and pick up a third, I think that would be a great move regardless of this superstitious nonsense.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries have hurt Teds draft and develop model. Not sure that will change in the near future...is this team injury prone or bring unlucky year after year. I have a hard time believing it's all dumb luck with the same thing happening over and over.

Just|Me

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it´s too early to call him a bust as well, but he´s not a sure thing either as he didn´t impress anyone in 2011 before he got injured. Marshall Newhouse was in front of him on the depth chart, and we know how that worked out.
Sherrod came into the league as a bit raw (and probably a bit early off the board). add to this it was the lockout year and there wasn't much TC at all. so no time/chance for him to take any step forward in his development before season started. He was able to catch up with Newhouse later which gave him some playing time deep into the season...and then the injury happend.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I would love Mosley to be our man in the middle. Not sure about HaHa.

As far as our recent track record in the 1st - just dumb *** bad luck. Plain and simple. Its not like he took a risk on an oft injured uber stud like Harrell, he took solid prospects in his picks. He had some tremendous success with earlier 1st rounders, so I don't think it is anything to do with TT's MO or anything he is doing different. Just dumb *** bad luck.

That being said, this is a deep draft. If we can trade back into the 2nd and pick up a third, I think that would be a great move regardless of this superstitious nonsense.

I wish Mosley would be there at #21, but unless his Combine sucks, I fear he'll be long gone by the time the Packers are on the clock.

Trading back is IMO going to be hard. Rumor has it that at least 1 team in the top 5 is interested in trading down, and maybe 2 teams. More teams may be interested in trading down than in trading up.

packrulz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mosley has had about 4 surgeries so he scares me in the first round. Trading down is ok if the price is right.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mosley has had about 4 surgeries so he scares me in the first round. Trading down is ok if the price is right.
He is the heart and soul of one of the best defenses in the country. He won defensive player of the week honors 11 out of 12 weeks on a stacked Alabama team. Coaches say its like having another coach on the field. He will give us several things: Discipline, Leadership, and attitude. I expect he will be gone before our pick, even with the injury risk. He will be an immediate impact player wherever he goes.

Members online

Latest posts