Packers cut Sherrod

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a big surprise he had first round bust written all over him when he failed to step up earlier this season when Bulaga got hurt. Getting virtually nothing from the 2011 first round really sucks but at least Sherrod may land with another team in our division (Vikings)

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very disappointed. I thought he was going to be Clifton's equal--he certainly had his size. He had a very bad injury that I think made that impossible.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bench Collins vs Carolina, keep Woodson another year, let Driver go before he starts dancing.

Also bench Rodgers at home vs Chicago in 2013, and make sure to tell Shields to grab onto Golden Tate's arm and drag him down with him after he gets shoved.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Not a big surprise he had first round bust written all over him when he failed to step up earlier this season when Bulaga got hurt. Getting virtually nothing from the 2011 first round really sucks but at least Sherrod may land with another team in our division (Vikings)
Yeah, it really sucks when your first round pick has his leg broken so bad it has to be surgically repaired. But not sure how an injury that severe makes him a bust. I am amazed he made it back this far. Just really bad luck.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only mildly surprised as I thought he would get released after the season. At least TT gave the guy a shot. It was the decent thing to do and not without promise for turning around a bad situation. I guess this speaks to the organization's faith in Tretter. Hopefully it won't be two mistakes in a row.

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dont think he can be declared a bust, severe injury two years out no player is going to come of the bench and play at his peak, thats gonna take time and unforunately for Sherrod he didnt have time with tretter coming back

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherrod had his chances. He didn't always get the best opportunities between getting tried at guard as a rookie and having to come back from the leg injury, but he was healthy his rookie year (before the injury) and healthy this year. He took two years to make sure that he was healthy. My guess is that the coaching staff didn't see enough mentally / physically to think that more time was going to fix the problems that they saw.

As sad as I am to say it. Bust.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Who backs up the two starters if one or both go down? The line is already paper thin depth-wise.

If Bakhtiari goes down I guess Bulaga would move to LT. In this case or if Bulaga gets injured either Lang or Tretter will fill in at RT with the other lining up at RG.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
We'll never know how good Sherrod would have been without the injury. I'm not saying he would have been what he was drafted to be, just that because of the severity of the injury, we'll never know. Unfortunately if one of the starting OTs goes down, it looks like it'll be musical chairs. Lang is probably the third best OT on the roster and if it's Bulaga who misses time that would mean three players at new positions. OT will once again be an off season priority.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it really sucks when your first round pick has his leg broken so bad it has to be surgically repaired. But not sure how an injury that severe makes him a bust. I am amazed he made it back this far. Just really bad luck.
Not getting anything for or from a 1st rd. pick hurts a team in the long run.Justin Harrell was a 1st rd. pick that couldn't get on the field either and Datone Jones has had trouble staying on the field so far,if a team has had to let just 3 first rd. picks go in say, 6 years, that's a lot to try and make up for.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait...? I thought Ted would never part ways with one of his high picks? Hmmmmm

Yet another myth dispelled?

H

HardRightEdge

We'll never know how good Sherrod would have been without the injury. I'm not saying he would have been what he was drafted to be, just that because of the severity of the injury, we'll never know. Unfortunately if one of the starting OTs goes down, it looks like it'll be musical chairs. Lang is probably the third best OT on the roster and if it's Bulaga who misses time that would mean three players at new positions. OT will once again be an off season priority.
2011 was the post-strike year with no OTAs and no training camp to speak of. No sooner had Sherrod walked in the door the Packers threw him in at guard. That it did not work out should have been no surprise. So back to OT he went, and he struggled to finish blocks. Again, that's not all that surprising...most first round rookie OTs struggle. Consider Nate Solder, another OT considered a Packer possibility in the 2011 draft; he looked dreadful for much of his first 2 years. At this juncture, we just don't know if Sherrod's failure was related to the injury, his talent topping out at the college level, a just plain lack of any mean streak or some combination of the above. I don't think his athleticism was ever in doubt.

I would not necessarily close the book entirely on Sherrod as a player. He'll likely end up on somebody's training camp roster next year. A fresh start, a new line coach, the urgency of being on a last chance...he might still turn into a player for somebody.

The O-Line situation is a mess. My guess is Tretter is the backup OT and C and Taylor remains the backup OG. The idea of moving Lang to OT thereby weakening 2 positions is unappealing, especially given the fact Lang did not comport himself well in previous forays at the position. As bad as Taylor has looked at OG, I hesitate to think what Tretter would look like there...as far as I can tell he's never taken a snap at the position at any level.

It seems every off season for the past few years some of us have been looking for the Packers to bring in a versatile, durable reasonably-priced vet for O-Line backup. I'll float that idea again...we've still got Gerhard on the roster who is entirely expendable as the 3rd. string center. It's time to look for some Howard Green-like help in an OG/RT swing man backup...Barclay's replacement that never was.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Wait...? I thought Ted would never part ways with one of his high picks? Hmmmmm

Yet another myth dispelled?
Prior to Sherrod, here are some noteable Thompson 1st. and 2nd. round picks that did not pan out and were either released or not brought back for a modest 2nd. contract:

Harrell, Brandon Jackson, Brohm, Pat Lee, Worthy

At least Worthy, a 51st. pick, should have been a fresh reminder. I'm not sure who were still adherents to that myth at this juncture. Prior to Sherrod being cut, if you'd taken a poll of this forum on whether Thompson would have signed him to a second contract after this season I think a convincing majority would have said "no".

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prior to Sherrod, here are some noteable Thompson 1st. and 2nd. round picks that did not pan out and were either released or not brought back for a modest 2nd. contract:

Harrell, Brandon Jackson, Brohm, Pat Lee, Worthy

At least Worthy, a 51st. pick, should have been a fresh reminder. I'm not sure who were still adherents to that myth at this juncture. Prior to Sherrod being cut, if you'd taken a poll of this forum on whether Thompson would have signed him to a second contract after this season I think a convincing majority would have said "no".

It gets really old looking up previous posts... but just last week somebody ragged about Thompson sticking with his guys way too long and not cutting them. That's not the first I ever heard that.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
My preference is if Bakhtiari misses time, Bulaga shifts to LT, Lang shifts to RT and hopefully (after watching Taylor) Tretter plays RG. That is a lot of shifting around but it would have the best options at each of those positions, IMO. If Bulaga misses time, it’s easier with Lang shifting to RT and Tretter replacing him. But HRE may be correct and Taylor remains the backup at OG. It’d be great if Tretter could fill in at RT but since he hasn’t taken a single NFL regular season snap… And if both starting OTs miss time, I suggest either Brad Jones or Demetri Goodson play QB as IMO they are the two most "dispensable" players on the active roster.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts