Packers cut Sherrod

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who'd have thought Don Barclay going down in training camp for the year would end up being arguably this teams most significant loss to injury halfway through the season? I didn't think Sherrod would have been re-signed after this season anyways and the injuries to Tretter and Barclay were probably the reason he made the final 53 man out of camp, so we just cut ties with him sooner than expected.

The biggest concern now is obviously the musical chairs this will play on the line if either tackle goes down because we've seen how that can reek havoc on our o-line's ability to pass block.

H

HardRightEdge

It gets really old looking up previous posts... but just last week somebody ragged about Thompson sticking with his guys way too long and not cutting them. That's not the first I ever heard that.
A couple random guys saying something is the basis of a myth and not for a straw man...duly noted.

H

HardRightEdge

At first I thought, Wow- you have a DeLorean?

Then, it hit me.
After DeLorean's botched cocaine deal intended to raise cash for the struggling company, the Northern Ireland government was so angry with him they threw all of the parts molds in the ocean to assure he would never return. Another guy bought the brand and made some spare parts for a time, but that venture failed in short order.

The long and short of it is you can't just jump in your DeLorean...it doesn't run, even if the flux capacitor is still operable, because you cannot get spare parts.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who'd have thought Don Barclay going down in training camp for the year would end up being arguably this teams most significant loss to injury halfway through the season? I didn't think Sherrod would have been re-signed after this season anyways and the injuries to Tretter and Barclay were probably the reason he made the final 53 man out of camp, so we just cut ties with him sooner than expected.

The biggest concern now is obviously the musical chairs this will play on the line if either tackle goes down because we've seen how that can reek havoc on our o-line's ability to pass block.
Musical chairs on the o-line is not good and the Packers have had to do that too many times over the years.
This year I was confident that we had the bestO-line in many years.
Once again due to injury and poor depth it was not to be.
I've got my fingers crossed that musical chairs will not be played.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple random guys saying something is the basis of a myth and not for a straw man...duly noted.

Whatever. Seriously. WHAT-EVER.

I listen to Wisconsin sports radio for almost 20 hours a week during my commute to work and my traveling. YES- IT IS something I've heard forever about Ted Thompson. ...and yes...I've read it on this forum many times.

H

HardRightEdge

Whatever. Seriously. WHAT-EVER.

I listen to Wisconsin sports radio for almost 20 hours a week during my commute to work and my traveling. YES- IT IS something I've heard forever about Ted Thompson. ...and yes...I've read it on this forum many times.
Shouldn't there be a "just sayin'" to go with the "whatever"?

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Sucks, but in a sense its a good move. Has he been signed off waivers yet?

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
So he cleared Waivers. Also I don't think he is eligible for practice squad.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of these hypotheticals about Bahktiari getting hurt, Bulaga getting hurt, Lang getting hurt..... Those are far-fetched situations. The Packers have been the healthiest team in the NFL over the past ten years. There's no need to worry! :roflmao:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The outrage started immediately with TT because he cut Rivera and Wahle along with Sharper. Then he drafted our next HOF quarterback when Favre was still toying with our emotions but hadn't yet broken our hearts. Rivera and Wahle amounted to two massive contracts and one pro bowl season combined after leaving Green Bay. Sharper had some good seasons but in terms of character issues is likely going to spend a good portion of his remaining years in prison for multiple rapes.

TT isn't a perfect GM. He makes unpopular moves that usually work out for the Packers - the ones that require a lack of emotion. What he doesn't do is make many moves that help the team, which further infuriates fans. He also hasn't been as good on drafting defense as offense.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post. You can like somebody, admire the heck out of them, and still know that they won't be able to help out your football team. Maybe I'll wear my old #63 Campen jersey on Sunday instead of my #64 Jurkovic

H

HardRightEdge

The outrage started immediately with TT because he cut Rivera and Wahle along with Sharper. Then he drafted our next HOF quarterback when Favre was still toying with our emotions but hadn't yet broken our hearts. Rivera and Wahle amounted to two massive contracts and one pro bowl season combined after leaving Green Bay. Sharper had some good seasons but in terms of character issues is likely going to spend a good portion of his remaining years in prison for multiple rapes.

TT isn't a perfect GM. He makes unpopular moves that usually work out for the Packers - the ones that require a lack of emotion. What he doesn't do is make many moves that help the team, which further infuriates fans. He also hasn't been as good on drafting defense as offense.
He took the same tack with Wells, Colledge and EDS as with Rivera and Wahle.

With the exception of Jeff Saturday in for Wells, I can't say we lost anything with those most recent departures. Such as it is, Wells ended up missing about half of 2012/2013 combined with season-ending injuries in each year. He's been mostly healthy this year and is still playing under his $6 mil per year deal in St. Louis.

Colledge did not live up to his $5.5 mil per year in AZ and was released after 3 years with a $4.5 mil dead cap hit in favor of draftees. He's now playing with the post-Incognitogate Miami line on a one year $1.25 mil deal. Lang has been at least Colledge's Packer days equal.

EDS went to Tampa for $3.5 mil per year. Linsley is the better player, and a lot of bang for the buck for at least 4 years.

Sitton is relatively cheap for a Pro Bowl caliber OG that's gets on the field every week (2 missed starts in 5 1/2 seasons at the top of the depth chart) at $6 mil per year. Lang at under $4 mil per year is good value for a quality player who is also dependable (1 start missed in 4 years at the top of the depth chart). Lang's also one of those rare guys who seems to incrementally improve each season whereas most players in this league top out after year 2 in the starting lineup. Lang or Sitton might not make the field this week, but you get the sense they'll do whatever is in their power to play even if they're not 100%.

However you slice it (excepting the Saturday disappointment), Thompson has consistently gotten good value in the interior offensive line. The Packers approach of selecting college OTs who do not project to the position in the NFL for the interior line has been a winning formula even if you'll never see them grade any roads.

Last edited by a moderator:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on what we saw in preseason with Sherrod, the writing was on the wall. I am surprised he wasn't cut loose sooner.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Opportunity is an issue. If you want a great LT, you'll probably need to be drafting in the top half dozen. Picking at #25 or lower is unlikely.Highly unlikely that you'll find a great LT in free agency; teams lock them up.
I would say my biggest problem with the Packers on the O line is that IMO, they've given short shrift to depth, relying too much on projects. Spend the money for competent veteran backups. Your QB will thank you.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really too bad. If not for that injury Sherrod would have at least been a decent backup and possibly our starting LT. He didn't do well in his first season, but any chance at development was denied by that nasty injury.

It means that we do need to draft an OT. Unfortunately, we need an ILB more, but if a top OT prospect falls to the Packers in the 1st round it would probably be worth the pick unless there was an equally top ILB prospect still around.

H

HardRightEdge

It's really too bad. If not for that injury Sherrod would have at least been a decent backup and possibly our starting LT. He didn't do well in his first season, but any chance at development was denied by that nasty injury.

It means that we do need to draft an OT. Unfortunately, we need an ILB more, but if a top OT prospect falls to the Packers in the 1st round it would probably be worth the pick unless there was an equally top ILB prospect still around.
That will depend on whether they sign Bulaga who's in his contract year. I think they will go to some lengths to keep him if he gets through the year without another major injury. With his injury history and the fact he's never played LT, demand for him in free agency won't be that great.

Bakhtiari can't be confused with the Pro Bowlers at LT, and he's close to the top of his development curve. But he's adequate, even if he's among the league leaders in holding calls over the last 2 seasons.

Barclay is about what you want in a backup OG/RT when healthy...reasonably priced and reasonably effective. He'll be a restricted free agent and won't be very costly to bring back. His recovery/rehab will need to be on track.

Assuming Bulaga is signed, I would be shocked if the Packers drafted high for an OT. And if Barclay is signed, I doubt they'd draft anybody but a low round developmental player, if that. Now that Linsley is set at center, Tretter will be worked at OT as well, his college position.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That will depend on whether they sign Bulaga who's in his contract year. I think they will go to some lengths to keep him if he gets through the year without another major injury. With his injury history and the fact he's never played LT, demand for him in free agency won't be that great.

Bakhtiari can't be confused with the Pro Bowlers at LT, and he's close to the top of his development curve. But he's adequate, even if he's among the league leaders in holding calls over the last 2 seasons.

Barclay is about what you want in a backup OG/RT when healthy...reasonably priced and reasonably effective. He'll be a restricted free agent and won't be very costly to bring back. His recovery/rehab will need to be on track.

Assuming Bulaga is signed, I would be shocked if the Packers drafted high for an OT. And if Barclay is signed, I doubt they'd draft anybody but a low round developmental player, if that. Now that Linsley is set at center, Tretter will be worked at OT as well, his college position.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of bringing back Bulaga at pretty much any cost. I think he may be entering Sherrod territory with the multitude of injuries he's suffered over the years beggining to take their toll. He struggles badly with speed rushers.
I was never on board with the "Bak is our left tackle for the next 10 years" line of thought. I think he's an average, up and down pass blocker and below average as a run blocker, and undersized.
The problem is there isn't often the opportunity to get top players at tackle, either in the draft or free agency.

Reaction score
Opportunity is an issue. If you want a great LT, you'll probably need to be drafting in the top half dozen. Picking at #25 or lower is unlikely.Highly unlikely that you'll find a great LT in free agency; teams lock them up.
I would say my biggest problem with the Packers on the O line is that IMO, they've given short shrift to depth, relying too much on projects. Spend the money for competent veteran backups. Your QB will thank you.
Yes. I've noted during the last couple of years that protecting our investment (AR) should be a top O Priority. You don't buy a new Corvette and park it under Pine trees. It sounds simplistic and I'm certainly not trying to patronize anyone's intelligence, but it's imperative for longevity that you invest in a car port or garage to keep it physically sound.
Although I understood the need for a C in the draft, I had actually called for another O lineman with our compensatory 3rd round that was a bonus and should've went to AR.
I can't locate the article so you'll have to take me at my word or research but I recently read an article with the author supporting the argument that AR is the most "complete" QB and therefore edges out even the likes of Brady, Peyton and Brees. He's amazing. I didn't realize AR averages over 5.0 yards a run while Peyton and Brady tied at 1.7 yards. Over the last several years. AR hasn't had an O line ranked better than 18th post SB year, while Peyton, Brees, Brady and relative newcomer Luck have all had top 10 and even several have had. number #1 rated protection. Yet AR turns chicken salad out of chicken poop.

Members online

Latest posts