Packers cut Sherrod

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not thrilled with the idea of bringing back Bulaga at pretty much any cost. I think he may be entering Sherrod territory with the multitude of injuries he's suffered over the years beggining to take their toll. He struggles badly with speed rushers.
I was never on board with the "Bak is our left tackle for the next 10 years" line of thought. I think he's an average, up and down pass blocker and below average as a run blocker, and undersized.
The problem is there isn't often the opportunity to get top players at tackle, either in the draft or free agency.

That worries me too. Bulaga has been injured quite a lot the last few years. It does not bode well.

H

HardRightEdge

I can't locate the article so you'll have to take me at my word or research but I recently read an article with the author supporting the argument that AR is the most "complete" QB and therefore edges out even the likes of Brady, Peyton and Brees. He's amazing. I didn't realize AR averages over 5.0 yards a run while Peyton and Brady tied at 1.7 yards. Over the last several years. AR hasn't had an O line ranked better than 18th post SB year, while Peyton, Brees, Brady and relative newcomer Luck have all had top 10 and even several have had. number #1 rated protection. Yet AR turns chicken salad out of chicken poop.
Who's best is one of those questions that can't be resolved...was it Graham or Unitas?...was it Unitas or Montana? The beat goes on.

Peyton, Brees, Brady and Rodgers are going to the Hall of Fame.

If there's anything that separates Rodgers it's his uncanny ability to avoid picks. I think you can count on one hand the number of picks over the past few years you could say are clearly Rodgers' fault. A receiver may zig when Rodgers zags, a ball may be off line 1/2 yard and it bounces off a shoulder pad, etc., etc. The rarity of route jump, air mail, floater and throw-into-crowd picks is remarkable given his regular aggressiveness in trying to get the ball down the field.

Given the importance of turnovers, if anything separates Rodgers it's the TD:INT ratio. It's no coincidence he's the all time passer rating leader since that ratio involves half of the factors in calculating the rating.

2011 notwithstanding (where post-strike defenses were getting torched all over the place early on), I think this is shaping up to be his most well rounded season. His sacks are down near career lows, his check downs and possession throws are up despite not having a go-to TE, while still extending a fair number of plays. He's got a couple of second half comebacks under his belt, including the buzzer beater at Miami that may prove to be a season-saver in the final analysis. He plays under the handicap of a defense that can't get off the field much of the time; despite all the no huddle we can't seem to get above 60 snaps per game on average. The R-E-L-A-X moment seemed to reset the clubhouse and the fan base, and then he backed it up on the field, debunking for good the bogus leadership questions posed by Messieurs Jennings and Driver.

I don't know if we can definitively say he's the best among the current HOF group. Brady has done some amazing things over the years playing in a constantly morphing scheme, from WR-centric to TE-centric to run-centric to whatever you want to call this season.

I would I say I wouldn't trade the current Rodgers for any of those guys at their best. Only time will tell what his legacy will be...there a lot of years yet to come.

H

HardRightEdge

That worries me too. Bulaga has been injured quite a lot the last few years. It does not bode well.
If he gets through this year clean I don't think there will be much of a question they'll try hard to keep him, as they should.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he gets through this year clean I don't think there will be much of a question they'll try hard to keep him, as they should.

Heh, if you don't want to count the first few weeks of the season. After missing a season and a half, he couldn't make it through the 1st half of the first game.

H

HardRightEdge

Heh, if you don't want to count the first few weeks of the season. After missing a season and a half, he couldn't make it through the 1st half of the first game.
Right...and he gets back on the field battling injury when there's no viable backup while working into contact shape after a long layoff. He has long stretches of near-Pro Bowl level performances on his resume, a bad half per season notwithstanding. "You don't what you've got 'till it's gone" would apply in this situation.

I'd be curious to know which players will take a needle and which will not.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right...and he gets back on the field battling injury when there's no viable backup while working into contact shape after a long layoff. He has long stretches of near-Pro Bowl level performances on his resume, a bad half per season notwithstanding. "You don't what you've got 'till it's gone" would apply in this situation.

I'd be curious to know which players will take a needle and which will not.

Good points. His agent should use them. I like Bulaga, and as you pointed out, he's a genuine tough guy.
For me, he's one of those guys that you're fine with at his position; you could do better, but you could also do one hell of a lot worse. Moot point, I guess, since I see zero chance of an elite tackle- which is what you'd need to do better than Bulaga- being available to us in any way.
IMO, he'll be back at a deal both sides are happy with.

H

HardRightEdge

Good points. His agent should use them. I like Bulaga, and as you pointed out, he's a genuine tough guy.
For me, he's one of those guys that you're fine with at his position; you could do better, but you could also do one hell of a lot worse. Moot point, I guess, since I see zero chance of an elite tackle- which is what you'd need to do better than Bulaga- being available to us in any way.
IMO, he'll be back at a deal both sides are happy with.
Maybe I missed my calling. ;) Not really...I'd have a hard time talking up a player I didn't believe in.

It certainly looks like the Packers will be using most of the available resources, be it picks or cap, to shore up the front 7...aaaaaaagainnnnnnn. Cobb and the resurgent Tramon Williams are also hanging out there. OT is probably low on the list of concerns in the front office.

Staff online

Latest posts