Packers boss: Team wants Brett Favre back in the family

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
They won't stop with Favre questions unless you give them something. Giving them this, which is blatantly obvious to everyone (everyone knows that we're going to retire his number at some point, whether some of you like it or not) kills that line of questioning early.

And considering I haven't heard anything about this on ESPN or anywhere nationally, this isn't going to be the distraction you guys seem to think it is.
I'm not advocating not saying it at all, I just want them to save this stuff for after the Super Bowl. Why can't our organization just focus on the one big thing facing us this week? Maybe "no comment on this right now" would be better. It's just stupid to even talk about what we're going to do with Brett Favre, who at this point, is only visible in the rear view mirror. Let Rodgers prove that he's a fitting successor before we start talking about ensuring Favre's legacy. This whole thing is unfair to him, whether he acknowledges it, or even believes it himself or not.

I see your point though, especially the part about there being no stories about it. Maybe the whole country is just sick of Favre and the media knows about it. Maybe they just don't want to reiterate what they know that we all know?

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Then THAT would have been the story. You know how the media is.
Maybe you guys are right. I just don't think the media would make any more of it if he had just said something along the lines of "we're focused on one thing right now, the Super Bowl."

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Maybe you guys are right. I just don't think the media would make any more of it if he had just said something along the lines of "we're focused on one thing right now, the Super Bowl."

Yeah - I think that would have been a better answer than "No comment". If he had said that, it probably wouldn't have gone anywhere (and it sounds like maybe it didn't anyway, thank God. Make. It. Stop.).

lambeausouth

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first response to this is "why not"?

I understand that Brett's screwed up plenty. Not even including the Jenn Sterger incident in this discussion, Brett has seemed at times spiteful when talking about his former team. The giant chip on his shoulder became more readily apparent when the Packer front office did not kowtow to him when he decided to unretire. But at the end of the day, the Packer family is special, and we have to understand what a huge part of our team he's been. Brett needs to meet us halfway. He needs to make the effort to "make nice" with all of us. If he does so, I welcome him back to the fold. We should not carry a grudge. We are better than the fans of other teams.

As far as the timing, this is a special week for the Packers. Once you have worn the green and gold, you are forever part of this family, and the entire family should be able to rejoice in our success. I can't believe that on some level, Brett isn't happy to see us back in the Super Bowl. He might not admit it publicly, but he put his blood, sweat and tears into getting the Packers to the promised land for more than a decade and a half.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will happen, and it should happen. One of the greats, gave the fans some great memories and if he says the right things post-retirement I think any hard feelings will eventually fade away, from both me personally and the majority of the Packer fan-base.

lambeausouth

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The circumstances were different, but the Packer nation was pissed at Vince Lombardi when he asked to be released from his contract with Green Bay so he could go to Washington.

Like it or not, we all feel that once somebody has played for us, they are always Packers. Brett just took the whole thing to a new level because he wanted to play for Minnesota.

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once the Packers win 2 Super Bowls all will be forgotten. So, about a year from now.

:happy0005:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The circumstances were different, but the Packer nation was pissed at Vince Lombardi when he asked to be released from his contract with Green Bay so he could go to Washington.

Like it or not, we all feel that once somebody has played for us, they are always Packers. Brett just took the whole thing to a new level because he wanted to play for Minnesota.

omg thats like comparing apples and oranges. First off Lombardi wasnt the coach, he was the general manager when he left the packers. Second he never called the Lions to spill secrets, never did an interview in prime time to attack the packers, never repeatedly retired then unretired then retired. Lombardi had class, the last time Favre had class was when he went to Southern Miss.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
omg thats like comparing apples and oranges. First off Lombardi wasnt the coach, he was the general manager when he left the packers. Second he never called the Lions to spill secrets, never did an interview in prime time to attack the packers, never repeatedly retired then unretired then retired. Lombardi had class, the last time Favre had class was when he went to Southern Miss.

uh....he didn't have class then....oh wait you mean actually GOING to a class...haha...

I've got some second hand stories about Favre from his time at So Miss..but thats for another thread

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre's ESPN spokesman, Ed Werder, just reported that "Favre doesn't understand the Packers' bitterness". The guy is absolutely shameless after forcing himself out of Green Bay in order to have a better chance at a Championship (in his pea-brain) with an arch-rival. He called another rival to tell them how best to beat his former team; he went out of his way to let everyone know that the purple team was "the best ever" he played on. His number should never be retired, imo.

There is zero similarity to what happened with Lombardi. After winning 5 Championships, Lombardi was most interested in obtaining a piece of ownership in a team, which was impossible with the Packers. He had to leave in order to do that. He went to a team in the other division, with no real rivalry. We were all disappointed when he left, of course, but the circumstances were completely different.

Reaction score
Well, it's officially hit the news stands. It's on NFL.com and ESPN's headlines.

I'm not saying this is a huge deal, but it's another unneeded distraction.

OMG. Does the president actually think he speaks for the team? This is down right ridiculous. Several players on the team never even worked with the man.

IMO, there shouldn't be any reconciliation. The man made his bed. Now he lies in it.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I think we all need to agree to just not mention, that certain someone who played QB for the packers name for 1 FULL YEAR. Let the healing process begin, and then maybe this can happen. But how it is right now where the media trys to make A-rod his "little brother" is just annoying and it makes me want to forget all about the certain someone.

lambeausouth

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I did say the circumstances were different, and I am aware that Lombardi was not our coach at the time. He regretted moving to the front office after winning Super Bowl II, and wanted to coach again. Hell, after he won his first NFL title, he considered going to New York to become the head coach for the Giants.

The central point to my post was that the Packer fans were quite upset with Lombardi when he left Green Bay, and ultimately, he was forgiven. Watch the HBO documentary Lombardi if you have not seen it already. People at the time wanted to rename Lombardi Avenue, they hung signs at Lambeau saying "Vince who?".

That Favre waffled on retiring for years before leaving Green Bay is not at all germane to this discussion. If he had stayed retired, we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's that he went to Minnesota, our hated rivals, that most chaps Packer fans. Not saying the other things you mentioned don't factor in, but they are not the chief complaint here. :)

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM shouldn't have brought it up, this is another distraction the Packers didn't need. This opens the doors to Favre questions the rest of the week (ok, even more Favre questions), this is Rodgers time, let the man have it.

lambeausouth

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM shouldn't have brought it up, this is another distraction the Packers didn't need. This opens the doors to Favre questions the rest of the week (ok, even more Favre questions), this is Rodgers time, let the man have it.

When Deion Sanders asked Aaron if Favre had spoken with him, he said no. There was no elaboration.

I'm not worried about Aaron getting distracted. He's shown he is quite capable of handling himself with class when these types of distractions creep up.

Aaron, and the team as a whole, will be ready. Bank on it.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread ruined my day...why didn't he just say " no comment" but what this says is the ORG wants him back....and you know what that means,,Favre will always be in the lime light no matter what is going on with the Packers........Farve just needs to go away,he burned too many bridges

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would go along with this.

Anything less than 2 Super Bowls and it's going to take more than a few seasons to fix the problems Favre created. But, if they win a few in the next 3-4 years the problems will be buried much sooner.

Favre is an uber ****** and for him to blabber to his BFF Werder is just icing on the cake.

Reaction score
If the Vikings had lived up to the expectations and gone to the Superbowl this year I doubt Favre would have given the Packers a thought during media day.

pittguy578

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a Steelers fan, and it made me sick that Neon Deion even brought up Brett Favre's name to Rodgers during the media day interviews.