Packers biggest bust...

OP
OP
GWheels

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never heard of the squeaky dog toy filled with his teammates urine taped to his back. Amazing what they did to cheat.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know, the years have softened me some, but for I long time I really hated this guy.

Why? He was a fake and a cheat...and a druggie.

Kinda like window shopping for a Ferrari,looking at it for 4 years, reading the reviews, watching it run on the track and how it could blow away anything that ran against it, buying it for literally millions of dollars, and finding out it had a Lawnboy engine in it.

...and Manwich's response? "Well, I took steroids, was high on drugs,...guess I fooled ya. ...sucks to be you"

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This brings back the nightmare that was the 1988 season and the 1989 draft. In Infante’s first year as HC, they went 4-12 and for the last part of the season the press wrote about the "Aikman bowl" – the Packers and a couple of other teams were "competing" for the worst record in the league and the right to draft Aikman. For the first time as a Packers fan I was rooting for them to lose their remaining games, go 2-14 and get their QB of the future. Instead they won their last two games.

So Aikman was a Cowboy. To make matters worse, four of the five top picks in the 1989 draft became HOF’ers, the exception of course was Mandarich. So no Barry Sanders, no Derrick Thomas, and no Deion Sanders. If the Packers had selected Aikman or one of the others, no one can tell how that would have affected the future of the team. But it still bothers me. And for those of you who don’t remember, there was talk of steroid use before that draft.

Regarding Mandarich, good for him he got his life together. I feel as good about that as I would about hearing the same thing about the second cousin of a friend of a friend’s acquaintance. But before that he screwed the Packers big time.

LAG, I think Thompson answered that question with the pick of Rodgers when he already had a HOF QB on the roster. I'll bet franchise QB would have been at the top of his list. No matter what he thought Randy Wright, Blair Kiel or Majkowski.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This brings back the nightmare that was the 1988 season and the 1989 draft. In Infante’s first year as HC, they went 4-12 and for the last part of the season the press wrote about the "Aikman bowl" – the Packers and a couple of other teams were "competing" for the worst record in the league and the right to draft Aikman. For the first time as a Packers fan I was rooting for them to lose their remaining games, go 2-14 and get their QB of the future. Instead they won their last two games.

So Aikman was a Cowboy. To make matters worse, four of the five top picks in the 1989 draft became HOF’ers, the exception of course was Mandarich. So no Barry Sanders, no Derrick Thomas, and no Deion Sanders. If the Packers had selected Aikman or one of the others, no one can tell how that would have affected the future of the team. But it still bothers me. And for those of you who don’t remember, there was talk of steroid use before that draft.

Regarding Mandarich, good for him he got his life together. I feel as good about that as I would about hearing the same thing about the second cousin of a friend of a friend’s acquaintance. But before that he screwed the Packers big time.

LAG, I think Thompson answered that question with the pick of Rodgers when he already had a HOF QB on the roster. I'll bet franchise QB would have been at the top of his list. No matter what he thought Randy Wright, Blair Kiel or Majkowski.

Good post. I remember that all too well.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another Packer bust pick was QB Rich Cambell in 1981. 1st rounder, 6th overall pick. He stunk as a player for the Pack.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Another Packer bust pick was QB Rich Cambell in 1981. 1st rounder, 6th overall pick. He stunk as a player for the Pack.
Remember who else the Packers considered at that spot? Off the top of my head I don't recall who it was in the Packers front office but I remember someone was actively advocating for Ronnie Lott, who was taken two picks later.

There's a reason some of us who've been around a long time refer to the period from Lombardi to Wolf as the Dark Ages. It was a series of choices like Cambell over Lott...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Remember who else the Packers considered at that spot? Off the top of my head I don't recall who it was in the Packers front office but I remember someone was actively advocating for Ronnie Lott, who was taken two picks later.

There's a reason some of us who've been around a long time refer to the period from Lombardi to Wolf as the Dark Ages. It was a series of choices like Cambell over Lott...

Kind of like having Matt Millen as GM for 20 years. I think the Hadl trade was a bigger bust. Wasn't it like a Lawrence Welk intro: a one anna two anna one, two, three.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lawrence Welk trade probably did the most damage ever to the Pack, for an extended period of time. This horrible trade was eclipsed several years later by none other than the Minn Vikes, with their Hershel Walker deal.

Members online

Latest posts