Packers awarded four compensatory picks

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A bit confused by that first part, if the Packers cut anyone, they are not considered in the equation towards compensatory picks. However, if Cobb, Nelson or Matthews are not resigned after 2018, they can make us eligible for compensatory picks, if they sign with another team.
I'm just saying if they don't cut anyone, we won't have any cap to sign a free agent. So our comp picks won't be taken away for signing free agents.

Thompson carried over 10 mil. After rookies and ir replacements. We have roughly 10 mil right now...

I feel that carryover number needs to go up if anything. Meaning free agency is over for us. Unless it's spent signing #12 to an extension, we need to save

Last edited:
Reaction score
While I know some feel like we lost a 3rd round Comp pick, on a silver lining note, I’m eager to see how 2017 3rd round pick Montravious Adams is doing.
I think we’ve forgotten about how impressive his teammates said he was last camp. He was compared to a young Warren Sapp in the making by his Veteran teammates. As evidence he was initially expected to start against Seattle last year because they felt like he made a near immediate transition to the Pros.
If he can fully recover from that foot surgery I’ve got a feeling he can be special. By years end I would love to see a set of Daniels, Clark and Adams upfront with Clay, Martinez, Roquon (wishful) and Perry behind that.
Backing them King, Randall and someone equivalent to a Veteran like Fuller and we’ve got something to be excited about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I suspect Cobb will receive a large contract as a free agent next year if we kept him on this coming year. Mathews too. Pass rushers always get over paid in fa.

If you had to guess right now. Say we kept Cobb,Mathews, Nelson. They all play similar, to their average production the last couple few years.... what comp picks do you think they would bring?

I don't expect Matthews or Cobb to be offered a huge contract by another team if they make it to free agency in 2019.

If the packers keep all three, there won't be any substantial free agents to offset.

Matthews, Cobb and Nelson are set to become free agents next year which means there's no way any of them factors into the compensatory pick formula until the 2020 draft.

I'm just saying if they don't cut anyone, we won't have any cap to sign a free agent. So our comp picks won't be taken away for signing free agents.

Thompson carried over 10 mil. After rookies and ir replacements. We have roughly 10 mil right now...

I feel that carryover number needs to go up if anything. Meaning free agency is over for us. Unless it's spent signing #12 to an extension, we need to save

The Packers currently have $17 million of cap space which should allow them to sign some veteran free agents. The team will most likely have enough cap space in 2019 to make some splash moves without having to carry over a ton of cap space from this season.

While I know some feel like we lost a 3rd round Comp pick, on a silver lining note, I’m eager to see how 2017 3rd round pick Montravious Adams is doing.
I think we’ve forgotten about how impressive his teammates said he was last camp. He was compared to a young Warren Sapp in the making by his Veteran teammates. As evidence he was initially expected to start against Seattle last year because they felt like he made a near immediate transition to the Pros.
If he can fully recover from that foot surgery I’ve got a feeling he can be special.

While I would love for Adams to turn into a special player I wouldn't put too much stock into teammates praising him during offseason practices.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. They have 17 mil cap space. 10 of it was carry over from last year. And 7 of it will be spent on rookies, and injured reserve replacements during the year.....

That means we spent this year's cap already. You are talking about spending the cush. If Thompson did that, we would be at 7 MIL right now, and no rookies or ir replacements signed yet.....or #12.....

I'm talking in circles...

As far as us losing or gaining comp picks. I forgot they need to become FAs, get resigned, and play a year before the comp pick is awarded... 2020 draft... plus those guys 2 years older won't be getting any big fa contracts. Maybe Cobb if he has a big year or something.

I'm back on the cut everyone band wagon...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and sign Adrian Peterson? ;)
I think the irony is that Peterson stepped in and carried a non-dimensional qb-less, rb-less AZ team to a couple big wins. Right around the same time Greenbay was a win or two away from #12 getting us to the playoffs....

It wasn't the Randy Moss factor I was hoping for when the idea came up. But it might have been enough to get us to the playoffs last year... :)

I think the sentiment that veterans wanting a ring will want to come to Greenbay, and play hard to get that ring. Is an avenue we need to use. Established, experienced, motivated veterans with something to prove. Peterson would have been an extreme, if Greenbay could have harnessed the positives ,and quit dwelling on a couple negatives. Because as fate decided our 2017 season. Having a work horse who needed 25+ carries to excel, would have been a godsend around week 10.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or worst case, our rookies break out like kamara, and we trade Peterson to AZ for a conditional 2018 draft pick. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Or worst case, our rookies break out like kamara, and we trade Peterson to AZ for a conditional 2018 draft pick. :)

I was just giving you the business about Peterson. ;) Hell, I was the one screaming for Eddie Lacy to be resigned!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I'm actually thinking the Packers are "set" at RB, with maybe the exception of bringing in a few UDFA's. It will be interesting to see what happens with Monty, but as long as Aaron Jones stays out of trouble, I like both him and Williams.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just giving you the business about Peterson. ;) Hell, I was the one screaming for Eddie Lacy to be resigned!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I'm actually thinking the Packers are "set" at RB, with maybe the exception of bringing in a few UDFA's. It will be interesting to see what happens with Monty, but as long as Aaron Jones stays out of trouble, I like both him and Williams.
:) apparently I'm still not ready to admit I was wrong about AP last year. Lol
Jones is my guy. Williams is pretty good too. I was head over heels about #88 running last year... so I'm looking g forward to seeing how it goes next year too. But Jones has to be the starter imo.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe wait for just a little more of a resume from all three RBs before declaring any of them 'the' guy?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe wait for just a little more of a resume from all three RBs before declaring any of them 'the' guy?

I'm not sure any of them are "the guy", but Jones and Williams both have the potential to be sufficient enough to help a pass oriented offense. Although, I would trade them both for Kareem Hunt. :whistling:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Yes. They have 17 mil cap space. 10 of it was carry over from last year. And 7 of it will be spent on rookies, and injured reserve replacements during the year.....

That means we spent this year's cap already. You are talking about spending the cush. If Thompson did that, we would be at 7 MIL right now, and no rookies or ir replacements signed yet.....or #12.....

I'm talking in circles...

As far as us losing or gaining comp picks. I forgot they need to become FAs, get resigned, and play a year before the comp pick is awarded... 2020 draft... plus those guys 2 years older won't be getting any big fa contracts. Maybe Cobb if he has a big year or something.

I'm back on the cut everyone band wagon...

The Packers could definitely spend close to the cap this season as the team has a significant amount of cap space available for 2019 with Clinton-Dix and Randall being the most high profile players set for free agency at that point.

While I agree it's too early to declare either Jones or Williams the guy at running back moving forward both of them showed promise during their rookie campaigns.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree it's too early to declare either Jones or Williams the guy at running back moving forward both of them showed promise during their rookie campaigns.

Not questioning that they looked promising. What I am concerned about is the contention that

Jones is my guy. Williams is pretty good too. I was head over heels about #88 running last year

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not sure any of them are "the guy", but Jones and Williams both have the potential to be sufficient enough to help a pass oriented offense. Although, I would trade them both for Kareem Hunt. :whistling:
"Kareem dreams" aside, the relevant question is whether the Packers should spend meaningful draft capital on an unproven rookie or spend meaningful cap on a veteran running back.

The answer should be "no".

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
"Kareem dreams" aside, the relevant question is whether the Packers should spend meaningful draft capital on an unproven rookie or spend meaningful cap on a veteran running back.

I agree. I see no reason to do anything with the RB position other than sign a few UDFA's. Unless of course Saquon Barkley drops to #14. :D

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This year I agree. Last year was a different story and they obviously spent draft capital on the position. I've seen enough from Jones and Williams and Monty to be comfortable going ahead with them as our RB platoon. Unless of course we could get the Chiefs to unload Hunt for the 2 second year guys. Or maybe, since we are in a dreamworld, the Saints are sick of Alvin Kamara,s BS already.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I see no reason to do anything with the RB position other than sign a few UDFA's. Unless of course Saquon Barkley drops to #14. :D

First trade for Hunt and now Barkley falls, you aren't living in a dream world you are living in a fantasy world where the drugs are free and you used them all up. Could you imagine that backfield though Kareem Hunt and Saquon Barkley. Hundley might even be a serviceable QB with those two behind him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
First trade for Hunt and now Barkley falls, you aren't living in a dream world you are living in a fantasy world where the drugs are free and you used them all up. Could you imagine that backfield though Kareem Hunt and Saquon Barkley. Hundley might even be a serviceable QB with those two behind him.

That is scary.....we always joke about how we think alike and I must not have read your entire post, because immediately I was typing "with that kind of backfield, Hundley could guide us to the Super Bowl!"

H

HardRightEdge

This year I agree. Last year was a different story and they obviously spent draft capital on the position. I've seen enough from Jones and Williams and Monty to be comfortable going ahead with them as our RB platoon. Unless of course we could get the Chiefs to unload Hunt for the 2 second year guys. Or maybe, since we are in a dreamworld, the Saints are sick of Alvin Kamara,s BS already.
Last year was last year, with the running back position literally bare. This year is this year.

Note that I said "significant" draft capital. It wouldn't shock me if the Packers drafted another running back in the mid-to-late rounds. That would be in order if Jones knee is questionable and if they've gone cold on Mays which would not exactly be a stretch.

Why bother with dreams?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can fully recover from that foot surgery I’ve got a feeling he can be special. By years end I would love to see a set of Daniels, Clark and Adams upfront with Clay, Martinez, Roquon (wishful) and Perry behind that.
Backing them King, Randall and someone equivalent to a Veteran like Fuller and we’ve got something to be excited about.
I have liked a lot of Ted Thompson's dline draft picks. Adams included. But he has lots of room for improvement , imo.
I would be giddy if we drafted a big pass rushing dlineman early on, and then Adams breaks out...

Reaction score
I have liked a lot of Ted Thompson's dline draft picks. Adams included. But he has lots of room for improvement , imo.
I would be giddy if we drafted a big pass rushing dlineman early on, and then Adams breaks out...
He’s not really had much of a chance to be in the spotlight. His confidence in his recovery will be a valuable part of his growth. Him and Biegel got dealt a raw hand but these are both players who have a decent shot at landing a starter capacity role in a year or two. I see Adams as a guy with the physical tools to become a solid starter one day. He just might erase any hard feelings about not having that bonus 3rd Comp. The way I see it we may have just regained that 3rd rounder we lost (so to speak)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...sf/2018/02/green_bay_packers_montravius_a.amp

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts