Packers awarded four compensatory picks

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

The team was awarded four compensatory picks in the 2018 draft: a fourth-round pick (No. 133 overall), two fifth-round picks (Nos. 172 and 174) and a sixth-round pick (No. 207).

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
12 picks total that works. Lots of positions to add depth. I like it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, we got screwed. Talkin' a 3rd and 3 5ths turns into a 4th, 2 5ths and a 6th?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think it was unrealistic to expect the Packers to receive a third round compensatory pick.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For some reason the league never places a lot of value on the Packer Players - it's nothing new, but if it's the Ravens losing someone like Pernell McPhee (Bears) who hardly played over the years would get awarded a 3rd Compensatory Pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I still don't pretend to understand the formula they use for placing where the picks are, but looking at the teams that received 3rd rounders and the players they lost, I am fine with a 4th for Lang. The "silver lining" is at least the Packers received the 1st CP in Rd. 4 (#133) and the first in Rd. 6 (#207).

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The drop in positions will have a severe effect on Gute's ability to move up in the higher rounds.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was unrealistic to expect the Packers to receive a third round compensatory pick.
That was the prediction by most "experts". Maybe they changed the formula. Lang got a hefty contract, made the pro bowl. On the bright side, off the top of my head, Josh Sitton was a 4th round comp pick and Aaron Jones I believe was a 5th round comp pick last year. The more choices, the better odds of getting lucky.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

For some reason the league never places a lot of value on the Packer Players - it's nothing new, but if it's the Ravens losing someone like Pernell McPhee (Bears) who hardly played over the years would get awarded a 3rd Compensatory Pick.

Did we get screwed or were we just overly hopeful in the first place?

That was the prediction by most "experts". Maybe they changed the formula. Lang got a hefty contract, made the pro bowl.

The NFL only handed put four third round compensatory picks to Cincinnati (lost Zeitler and Whitworth), Houston (Bouye), Denver (Okung) and Arizona (Campbell).

As HRE correctly pointed out the formula is mostly based on yearly average salary which means it was unrealistic to expect the Packers to receive a third rounder for losing Lang.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL only handed put four third round compensatory picks to Cincinnati (lost Zeitler and Whitworth), Houston (Bouye), Denver (Okung) and Arizona (Campbell).

As HRE correctly pointed out the formula is mostly based on yearly average salary which means it was unrealistic to expect the Packers to receive a third rounder for losing Lang.
I suspect Cobb will receive a large contract as a free agent next year if we kept him on this coming year. Mathews too. Pass rushers always get over paid in fa.

If you had to guess right now. Say we kept Cobb,Mathews, Nelson. They all play similar, to their average production the last couple few years.... what comp picks do you think they would bring?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I suspect Cobb will receive a large contract as a free agent next year if we kept him on this coming year. Mathews too. Pass rushers always get over paid in fa.

If you had to guess right now. Say we kept Cobb,Mathews, Nelson. They all play similar, to their average production the last couple few years.... what comp picks do you think they would bring?

Depends, they may merely offset the FA's the Packers sign and result in no comp picks. Best case scenario...4th for Matthews and 5th for Cobb. If they play like hey have the last couple of years, neither are going to command much more than average money in the FA market. What would you resign either player to?

Reaction score
good point on the offset Poker. I’m also seeing criteria on salary, snaps and even post season honors as a factor. So there’s lots of variables.

As far as how they’ve played recently it’s like an 8th round comp! There’s my Kicker! Lol

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends, they may merely offset the FA's the Packers sign and result in no comp picks. Best case scenario...4th for Matthews and 5th for Cobb. If they play like hey have the last couple of years, neither are going to command much more than average money in the FA market. What would you resign either player to?
If the packers keep all three, there won't be any substantial free agents to offset.

I think a fair value for these veterans is 6-8 for each. That's roughly +15mil cap above the 10 spendable cap we have now. If we were sitting at 25 mil cap, I wouldn't be thinking cuts were needed...

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You were overly hopeful. The primary consideration is the size of the FA contract.

So you are saying size does matter?

good point on the offset Poker. I’m also seeing criteria on salary, snaps and even post season honors as a factor. So there’s lots of variables.

As far as how they’ve played recently it’s like an 8th round comp! There’s my Kicker! Lol

We might have to give one back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the packers keep all three, there won't be any substantial free agents to offset.

I think a fair value for these veterans is 6-8 for each. That's roughly +15mil cap above the 10 spendable cap we have now. If we were sitting at 25 mil cap, I wouldn't be thinking cuts were needed...

A bit confused by that first part, if the Packers cut anyone, they are not considered in the equation towards compensatory picks. However, if Cobb, Nelson or Matthews are not resigned after 2018, they can make us eligible for compensatory picks, if they sign with another team.

Members online

Latest posts