Packers are interested in Everson Griffen

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is still good for us, the Vikings are weakened so we shouldn't have as much trouble with them this year. I honestly predict the Vikings will have the biggest fall off in the NFC this year. Those 20+ rookies are about to get baptized by fire.

I don't want to see the Cowboys in the playoffs though, but we're definitely on a collision course, and I'd prefer it to be in Green Bay regardless of Rodgers' record there.

H

HardRightEdge

Get Griffen and bring back Matthews!!
Well, if they can fit Bakhtiari under the 2021 cap with an extension, they can surely sign Griffen to a cap-backloaded contract. ;) That's not to say they'll do either.

One does get the impression that when news of Packer interest in a FA hits the wire Gutekunst may be talking but in lowball kinda way, like going into a car dealer with a silly offer in the hopes they're desperate to unload that bit of inventory. Anybody notice that the FAs he does sign have had little (or no?) advance warning?

These leaks come from agents trying to energize the market for a player, trying to get somebody previously engaged in preliminaries to stop kicking tires and get off the schneid and into a contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't have the cap space to make it work as well as no need to bring Matthews back.

I respectfully disagree, Matthews would be a great fit with losing Blake and Fackrell. He could sit in the middle on certain plays and could be a decoy when the Smiths are on the edge.

H

HardRightEdge

I respectfully disagree, Matthews would be a great fit with losing Blake and Fackrell. He could sit in the middle on certain plays and could be a decoy when the Smiths are on the edge.
Matthews was not a good ILB the first time around and I wouldn't expect him to be any better now with a few more years on his bones, more banged up, slower. Since there's no 4th. OLB you can point to with Z. Smith expected to take his share on the D-Line, bringing Matthews in on the proverbial "cheap deal" wouldn't be a bad idea. By cheap, I mean really cheap. ;)

But I jest. We hear that "cheap deal" stuff around here a lot. It's just wishful thinking.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He would not play on the defensive line in our defense. He would share snaps with the Smiths and Gary.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand he is a little short for a DE, Z. Smith is only an inch taller and 3 lbs heavier. I believe he can fulfill the same role he does.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While I understand he is a little short for a DE, Z. Smith is only an inch taller and 3 lbs heavier. I believe he can fulfill the same role he does.

Z’Darius Smith is an edge who reduces inside on passing downs. He’s not in the same category as Clark, Lowry, Keke, Lancaster, or Adams in this defense.

Edge: Z’Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Rashan Gary, Jonathan Garvin

DL: Clark, Lowry, Keke, Lancaster, Adams

Griffen would be an addition to the former, not the latter.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So here’s the dealio.

A 3-4 defense, and a 4-3 defense, all technically have a DE. The confusing part is that they’re completely different positions!

So some smart people got together and decided the pass rusher on the edge of the LOS (this is grossly simplified) should be called an Edge. This would be a 3-4 OLB, and a 4-3 DE. For the most part, the same position.

The Packers are a 3-4 team in base. So when you say a guy can come here and play DE, you’re thinking of the position that Dean Lowry and Kingsley KeKe play. The position that Z Smith plays is a 3-4 OLB, also known as “Edge”.

That’s why I just call players Edges and iDL. It makes it much easier to understand, while still allowing for further nuance if needed.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Z’Darius Smith is an edge who reduces inside on passing downs. He’s not in the same category as Clark, Lowry, Keke, Lancaster, or Adams in this defense.

Edge: Z’Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Rashan Gary, Jonathan Garvin

DL: Clark, Lowry, Keke, Lancaster, Adams

Griffen would be an addition to the former, not the latter.

You should just copy paste this for the future. Griffin can be [insert player name].

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You should just copy paste this for the future. Griffin can be [insert player name].

I do not blame anyone for not understanding the distinction in regards to players around the league. But it does seem that there’s a strong correlation between not understanding and being very opinionated about it.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So here’s the dealio.

A 3-4 defense, and a 4-3 defense, all technically have a DE. The confusing part is that they’re completely different positions!

So some smart people got together and decided the pass rusher on the edge of the LOS (this is grossly simplified) should be called an Edge. This would be a 3-4 OLB, and a 4-3 DE. For the most part, the same position.

The Packers are a 3-4 team in base. So when you say a guy can come here and play DE, you’re thinking of the position that Dean Lowry and Kingsley KeKe play. The position that Z Smith plays is a 3-4 OLB, also known as “Edge”.

That’s why I just call players Edges and iDL. It makes it much easier to understand, while still allowing for further nuance if needed.

I do not blame anyone for not understanding the distinction in regards to players around the league. But it does seem that there’s a strong correlation between not understanding and being very opinionated about it.

I am well aware of the differences in the 3-4 DE and OLB. Along with the 4-3 DE and OLB.

I think people pigeonhole players because they went to a certain team and played in a system for so long. Griffen coming out of USC was scouted as a DE, OLB, and ILB (but primarily as a 4-3 DE). His body type lends him to playing a variety of positions and his talent allows him to be effective at them all.

Players of certain talent levels can be scheme diverse, and I believe Griffen is one of those players.

For instance, Z. Smith was a 4-3 DE coming out of Kentucky. Now he's primarily a 3-4 OLB(totally different responsibilities) for us who occasionally also plays the 5-technique DE.

Gary was a 4-3 DE at Michigan, but drafted as a 3-4 OLB (which is a better projected switch) who Pettine also committed to playing more 5-technique DE.

Kenny Clark played everything on the DL at UCLA, from 0 to 5 technique(even was schemed plays at ILB!), many scouts had him penciled in as purely a rotational 4-3 DT. He's one of the best NTs in the league now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY, trade for him. Cowboys are having a fire sale, and if I’m not mistaken packers have 2 or 3 4th rounders next draft? Even if they don’t trade for a 3rd rounder, Griffen is a beast, and let’s not forget - major part of the reason Packs got their butt whupped TWICE against the Niners last year was because of their D-line. And this doesn’t mean we immediately start seeing who is replaced by griffen etc. if you have Z/P Smith, Gary and Griffin and Clark, that’s some serious pressure ( in multiple formations and combos) it would help the secondary even more.

also, being in THIS division gives him good knowledge of 4 games and he’s a pretty talented player.

it’s not always about how perfect the player fits into your team, a good team and coaching staff can always make them fit and use them wisely. You don’t want Seahawks (who also wanted him btw) or Niners themselves getting him with Bosa, and other inured.

trust me, Tampa day doesn’t need AB84 to win a Super Bowl but adding him, KC adding laveon bell is all insurance and also accumulating wealth and talent. It’s time Packers start doing some stuff like that.

if ain’t Griffin, then trade for JJ Watt!!!

I just joined 10 minutes back, glad to be here, thank you for letting me share my thoughts :)
Any threads on WRs packers should target before trade deadline?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Griffen played for the Vikings, and they didn’t beat us last uear

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We swept the Bears last year too, but I'm sure there's not many who wouldn't turn down Kahlil Mack and Akiem Hicks.

Alot of us still wanted Snacks to come here even though we swept the Lions too.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We swept the Bears last year too, but I'm sure there's not many who wouldn't turn down Kahlil Mack and Akiem Hicks.

Alot of us still wanted Snacks to come here even though we swept the Lions too.
Well snacks is still available. Wouldn’t even have to trade for him.

if someone’s reasoning for signing someone is because they played for a team that WHUPPED is TWICE, I think it’s important to get the team right lol.

For the right price I would have entertained Griffen when he was a FA. Give up picks and pay him a contract someone else gave him? I’ll pass.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am well aware of the differences in the 3-4 DE and OLB. Along with the 4-3 DE and OLB.

I think people pigeonhole players because they went to a certain team and played in a system for so long. Griffen coming out of USC was scouted as a DE, OLB, and ILB (but primarily as a 4-3 DE). His body type lends him to playing a variety of positions and his talent allows him to be effective at them all.

Players of certain talent levels can be scheme diverse, and I believe Griffen is one of those players.

For instance, Z. Smith was a 4-3 DE coming out of Kentucky. Now he's primarily a 3-4 OLB(totally different responsibilities) for us who occasionally also plays the 5-technique DE.

Gary was a 4-3 DE at Michigan, but drafted as a 3-4 OLB (which is a better projected switch) who Pettine also committed to playing more 5-technique DE.

Kenny Clark played everything on the DL at UCLA, from 0 to 5 technique(even was schemed plays at ILB!), many scouts had him penciled in as purely a rotational 4-3 DT. He's one of the best NTs in the league now.

4-3 defensive ends and 3-4 outside linebackers are comparable in that they’re edge rushers.

4-3 defensive tackles and 3-4 down linemen are comparable in that they’re interior DL.

Griffen is the former.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just joined 10 minutes back, glad to be here, thank you for letting me share my thoughts

Welcome and be careful. As you see in this thread, if someone disagrees with you, there are a few who will tell you don't know anything about football.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh and those little green checks mean you're God and cannot possibly be wrong. Get those little green checks not the little red x's LOL

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Oh and those little green checks mean you're God and cannot possibly be wrong. Get those little green checks not the little red x's LOL

And if you really want to take advantage of the forum, just click them and don’t actually reply to people. That’s how you drive discussion.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts