Packers and Jaylon Smith closing in on a deal

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty summers or Oren burks should only be on the field for one play when smith gets a drink. I want Barnes back on the field too Campbell has been okay better than kirksey. Smith can play edge too so I see him blitzing too. I have a strong feeling we have seen the last of z smith as a packer.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On Bart Starr's famous sneak during the Ice Bowl there are those who maintain Packers guard Jerry Kramer moved before the snap. If he did it wasn't called and the rest is, as they say, history.

You said you were old school and I thought you may have meant it literally.

I'll give you a pass on that one and let you stay. My guess is half the Packer fans on here didn't get it either.
I’d guess you are wrong about the last part… Packers fans are pretty good at knowing the past. Incidentally a saw an interview once where Kramer just winked and smiled when asked if jumped early on that play. lol

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d guess you are wrong about the last part… Packers fans are pretty good at knowing the past. Incidentally a saw an interview once where Kramer just winked and smiled when asked if jumped early on that play. lol
You may be right since I said fans on here. Fans generally don't participate in these groups unless they are pretty savvy. Maybe most on here would probably get it but if you went up to random Packer fans on the street (lets just say those wearing Packer gear) and asked them if they are Packer fans and when they say yes you simply say "Did Kramer Jump" I'll bet most under 30 wouldn't have any idea what you were talking about. History simply isn't important to many people any more and to some the Packers didn't even exist before Brett Favre. Eventually the Ice Bowl will become less and less important to fans as a whole as more recent games take center stage. Us old guys will hold on as long as we can but no one lives forever.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That one was so so close that no referee then and even now would have called false start unless the human eye has advanced anatomically in 54 years. And do not forget that the line judge in that game was freezing his jewels off in -13 temperatures for 3 hours. Chances are his eyelashes were frosted over.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good grief. You can go on YouTube and watch the Ice Bowl QB sneak 1,000 times if you want to. If you think Kramer was offsides you have problems with your eyesight.

Click the link below

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good grief. You can go on YouTube and watch the Ice Bowl QB sneak 1,000 times if you want to. If you think Kramer was offsides you have problems with your eyesight.

Click the link below

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
lol … I don’t think anyone here stated they think that…. but it has been a topic of discussion for years. Im certainly not going to bother arguing about it.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
You may be right since I said fans on here. Fans generally don't participate in these groups unless they are pretty savvy. Maybe most on here would probably get it but if you went up to random Packer fans on the street (lets just say those wearing Packer gear) and asked them if they are Packer fans and when they say yes you simply say "Did Kramer Jump" I'll bet most under 30 wouldn't have any idea what you were talking about. History simply isn't important to many people any more and to some the Packers didn't even exist before Brett Favre. Eventually the Ice Bowl will become less and less important to fans as a whole as more recent games take center stage. Us old guys will hold on as long as we can but no one lives forever.
The NFL has always been a "what have you done lately" league. One of the classic arguments that vikings fans say is, "all those championships are old". Yeah, who cares. They're still championships. I've seen the footage of Kramer jumping early. One really has to slow the tape down to see it. I don't think he did it on purpose and just tried to time it the best he could. I'd say he did a pretty good job. All said and done, what have you done for me lately?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL has always been a "what have you done lately" league. One of the classic arguments that vikings fans say is, "all those championships are old". Yeah, who cares. They're still championships. I've seen the footage of Kramer jumping early. One really has to slow the tape down to see it. I don't think he did it on purpose and just tried to time it the best he could. I'd say he did a pretty good job. All said and done, what have you done for me lately?
At -13 degrees and wind chills at -50 and on that sheet of frozen tundra I cannot see how anyone could perfectly time or sense anything that infinitesimal. And no line judge could with all honesty see a false start there especially under those conditions. The human might be sharp but not that sharp and not on that Arctic sheet.

Krabs

Reaction score
At -13 degrees and wind chills at -50 and on that sheet of frozen tundra I cannot see how anyone could perfectly time or sense anything that infinitesimal. And no line judge could with all honesty see a false start there especially under those conditions. The human might be sharp but not that sharp and not on that Arctic sheet.
I'm with you. Even if they saw it they probably just wanted to go home.

"I saw nothing. Let's get out of here". - Refs Circa Ice Bowl

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get why the signing of Smith should be looked at through the lens of the need at corner.

The Panthers had lots of cap space and were able to just trade for Gilmore straight up and absorb his current deal (5.8M cap hit) without any sort of restructure.

The Packers could not do that. I have no idea what they offered for him, but they weren't in as good a position to acquire him.

LB is also a need. Ty Summers and Oren Burks have played over 270 snaps so far.

As usual, you are going out of your way to try and find an excuse to skew negative. It's just the mirror imagine of a homer who thinks everything their team does is the most amazing thing that's ever happened.
I admit I am negative. That is from wasting the career of the best qb that I have ever witnessed with lousy defense and special teams. When guys play well, I give them credit that includes Adams and Rodgers. When they suck, I'm not a Homer and advocate for guys to get benched like King. My negative comments come from seeing the same things repeated over and over again leading to playoff debacles. I enjoy seeing the Packers win anytime, even if that's over a team with an average qb in the regular season. Given the annual holes in the roster, beating really good teams with elite qb's in the playoffs has shown the Packers to be pretenders instead of contenders. I won't close my eyes to that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about recognize you're a fan, enjoy the games for what they are. you don't play, you don't coach, you don't evaluate, you don't pick players, you don't sell tickets, you don't market, you don't have any influence on the game at all. So just enjoy it. We all like to see the team win, we all want to see them win it all, well maybe not all of us. Last week was a win/win for everyone. Those of us that enjoy the game and like to see them win and the guys that only show up when things are bad to tell us how bad they are.

After a couple weeks of being MIA they were back lamenting everything for an entire half of football, think of all the enjoyment they got out of seeing things go rather poorly for the team and a player in particular. They get to relive every bad pick, every decision that didn't work, every call that resulted in nothing or every big play given up in the history of the team. They were giddy with excitement at the demise. They had so much fun, and then the rest of us did when we won.

But seriously, if one game is all that matters, then just watch that one.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I admit I am negative. That is from wasting the career of the best qb that I have ever witnessed with lousy defense and special teams. When guys play well, I give them credit that includes Adams and Rodgers. When they suck, I'm not a Homer and advocate for guys to get benched like King. My negative comments come from seeing the same things repeated over and over again leading to playoff debacles. I enjoy seeing the Packers win anytime, even if that's over a team with an average qb in the regular season. Given the annual holes in the roster, beating really good teams with elite qb's in the playoffs has shown the Packers to be pretenders instead of contenders. I won't close my eyes to that.

So all of this means you're going to invent reasons to skew negative on everything?

Don't you see that that's literally no different than someone who invents reasons to spin positive on everything?

What if we all just try to call balls and strikes according to our best judgment?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
How about recognize you're a fan, enjoy the games for what they are. you don't play, you don't coach, you don't evaluate, you don't pick players, you don't sell tickets, you don't market, you don't have any influence on the game at all. So just enjoy it. We all like to see the team win, we all want to see them win it all, well maybe not all of us. Last week was a win/win for everyone. Those of us that enjoy the game and like to see them win and the guys that only show up when things are bad to tell us how bad they are.

After a couple weeks of being MIA they were back lamenting everything for an entire half of football, think of all the enjoyment they got out of seeing things go rather poorly for the team and a player in particular. They get to relive every bad pick, every decision that didn't work, every call that resulted in nothing or every big play given up in the history of the team. They were giddy with excitement at the demise. They had so much fun, and then the rest of us did when we won.

But seriously, if one game is all that matters, then just watch that one.

This speaks to me.

I will never understand people who follow a *sport* just to be constantly miserable. Isn't the point fun and diversion?

Krabs

Reaction score
This speaks to me.

I will never understand people who follow a *sport* just to be constantly miserable. Isn't the point fun and diversion?
My glass is always half empty. When that happens I fill it back up.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This makes sense schematically. Joe Barry wants to be much heavier in nickel compared to what Pettine would do. But after Campbell, he's lacked the depth he's needed. Summers shouldn't be on the field in defense. Smith can compete for those snaps at LB2 with Barnes.

No guarantees, but it would be pretty cool if Smith came in and saw a big boost in his level of play a la what we've seen from Campbell.
Yeah. We'd finally have an ILB group that could help to win games.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This speaks to me.

For some in the shoutbox it's whine and cry.

D

Deleted member 6794

What I don't understand is if the Panthers were willing to trade for him why wouldn't the cowboys take any offer they could get if they were going to release him anyway.

I'm not sure this is likely, but Jaylon Smith was a team captain for the Cowboys. I don't think he got cut due to attitude or off field issues. There was a respect between the franchise and the player. If Gilmore went for a 6th, I can't imagine that Smith would have been anything more than a 7th. It's possible, but again seems unlikely in the business world of the NFL, that there was enough respect for Smith to cut him and let him choose where he wanted to go. It doesn't make sense due to the money, but it is one scenario.

I think it happens. I know there is this belief that players and teams have a completely contentious relationship with one only able to screw the other by holding out or cutting or sending to "siberia" to play out their career, but I do think there is a good amount of respect between many FO's and players.

It wouldn't surprise me to know they talked to him about landing spots and they both agreed on teams he'd go to and for what price and dallas said they wouldn't just send him anywhere.

I honestly don't believe the Cowboys passed on saving $5.6 million of cash and cap space in addition to receiving a draft pick in return by trading Smith just out of respect for him to sign with a team he likes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might not have been a trade that saved them that much money, it may have been will give a pick, you pay some salary. Just like we did with Cobb. It may have been well take this player you take ours with money and stuff we don’t want.

Regardless, if the Panthers were in on trade talks, I honestly feel that whatever it was, it wasn’t enough and for the cowboys to say, we know you don’t want to go there but that’s where we’re sending you.

Krabs

Reaction score
I honestly don't believe the Cowboys passed on saving $5.6 million of cash and cap space in addition to receiving a draft pick in return by trading Smith just out of respect for him to sign with a team he likes.
I agree. Just saying it was a theory.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember who runs the Cowboys. Not exactly your everyday owner.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts