Packers and Jaylon Smith closing in on a deal

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I didn't watch Smith play that much when he was at Dallas, but something had to have happened to him in the last year or so. He was All Pro in 2019, team Captain, given a pretty hefty extension (5 year $65M, with $35.5 M guaranteed) and suddenly 2 years later, the Cowboys replace him with 1st and 4th round rookies.

I am hoping that he just got a big head, a bit lazy and now realizes he is battling for his career.
He has shown he can play. But these guys are still young when they suddenly become multi-millionaires. Unfortunately, the fun has to wait. Staying at or near the top in such a physical sport is hard work, 24/7/365. If Smith is gonna turn it around, it may take a while.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now, Smith looks like an offspring of Summers/Burks. I had low expectations for him and unfortunately right now he is meeting my expectations.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right. I don't know when the team started experimenting with CMIII playing inside, but it was well after the SB win. And when TT moved up to draft him, I'm pretty sure he never considered him as anything but an edge rusher.

The Packers moved Matthews inside in the middle of the 2014 season and kept him there until the end of the '15 season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So basically your not at all disappointed. :laugh:
Perhaps a little but not surprised. The Cowboy fan that posted here was correct in his assessment imo. He's worthy of listening to. He's seen him play every week of his career. To me, it's like comparing Raji's first two years to his 3 following years floundering in the abyss.

On another note. Kudos to Rasul Douglas. I really like what I'm seeing from him so far. The PI call on him was totally bogus imo. I'd bet the ref's post game review in New York did not grade that call favorably.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He's been released, per Schefter.
Interesting. I guess the Cowboy visitors to our site were correct. He just didn't seem like the same player during his limited time in Green Bay. Like I said after that first game, he looked like he was totally jacked up, but over ran everything.

Good luck to him.....with an AFC team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm happy they gave him a try, but also happy that they've moved on when he didn't prove to be an upgrade. No harm in churning the roster.
I had lost track of him and only knew how good he was playing in Dallas...not how bad he was playing. So it was a pleasant surprise when the Packers suddenly had him on the team. Felt like an early Christmas present. The Cowboys kept saying they didn't want to take a chance on him getting injured and being locked into his deal for next year. They should have added "and btw...he stinks".

Zad Fnark

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ta...

Attachments

• Jettison.jpg
    Jettison.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 66

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me thinks if they did not fall into Whitney he would still be on the roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Me thinks if they did not fall into Whitney he would still be on the roster.
They play 2 different positions, I think it was just that Jaylon wasn't picking things up and really looked lost. But yeah, Whitney was a great pick-up!

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaylon Smith nearly led the league in Tackles last season. Smith was #2 in the NFL in 2020. By the way that surpassed Blake Martinez. Do you know what Blakes salary is? He makes over 10+ million annual. You don’t make 154 tackles being slow and you don’t have Mike MCarthy announce you’re the team Captain 3 days ago (2 weeks in a row!) if you’re a nobody. Trust me the Packers just got better.

i trusted you. i feel like you let me down. please issue a refund.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to give him 4 or 5 weeks to get in the system, now I can't fairly evaluate him

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really dont get this move.. Given that we will probably lose Campbell next year, is giving up one roster spot really such a sacrifice to make in order for us to give Jaylon some time to get familiar with the system? Its not like we have a stable of studs at ILB anyway

D

Deleted member 6794

I really dont get this move.. Given that we will probably lose Campbell next year, is giving up one roster spot really such a sacrifice to make in order for us to give Jaylon some time to get familiar with the system? Its not like we have a stable of studs at ILB anyway

I'm surprised the Packers didn't give Jaylon more time to make an impact as well but it seems the coaching staff is convinced he won't be an upgrade over anyone else currently on the roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think he was THAT bad and/or lost that they just didn't see the point of giving him snaps over younger guys. I was really excited when we signed him, I just didn't realize how much his game had slipped. If you watch some of the snaps he was in on, he totally looked lost and just kind of ran around like a chicken with his head cut off.

I wish him luck, but it seemed like there was something really off with him. Whether its mental, physicals or a combination, I hope he figures it out and gets back to playing.

Members online

Latest posts