Packers Aaron Rodgers talks about Brett Favre

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GREEN BAY, Wis. - It would only be natural for Aaron Rodgers to gaze out at Matt Leinart on Sunday at Lambeau Field and wonder what might have been.

Two years ago, Rodgers outplayed Leinart as the University of California almost upset Southern California, 23-17. But now Leinart is the rookie starting quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals and Rodgers is in his second season as the backup for the Green Bay Packers.

Although Rodgers has played merely 36 snaps as a rookie and 11 this season, he is confident that the pluses of his situation will outweigh the negatives.

``When I look back on my career, and this is no disrespect to the quarterback coaches I've had . . . . I've had two incredible ones . . . . I've had the opportunity to work with the greatest quarterback coach I could possibly ask for,'' Rodgers said Friday. ``And that's Brett Favre.''

Rodgers, who doesn't turn 23 until December, said he doesn't know if his stint as Favre's backup with last two, three or maybe even four years.

As Rodgers waits his turn, he relishes his ring-side seat as the final chapters of Favre's career unfold. Here is Rodgers' take on just some of the things that make Favre what he is:

Favre's command of the huddle: ``He's got complete command. I'm far enough away where I can't hear everything he says but I've heard a few things. He keeps it light.''

How he deals with his past two position coaches, Darrell Bevell and Tom Clements: ``He's very respectful but he's got a lot of ideas, which I know he hopes they'll listen to, and they usually do. We'll be watching the film and Brett will throw out a suggestion and we'll stop the film and Tom will write down his suggestion and take it up with coach (Mike) McCarthy and coach `Jags' (Jeff Jagodzinski). There's a real open relationship and there's great communication in there. Tom's been in the league a long time and at the same time Brett has been. So there's a strong mutual respect between the two of them.''

His interaction with backup quarterbacks: ``We got a great relationship. We're often the butt of jokes but we enjoy that. He's a great guy, a great teammate. It's hard to really explain who he is unless you're around him all the time because he's such a dynamic person. He's real easy to work with. I can't even call it work. He's real easy to play with, I guess. He always keeps the mood light. He's a great example of what it takes to survive in this league.''

His courage, toughness and ability to play hurt: ``Against Tennessee last year in pre-season when he hurt his ankle. They're yelling at me to get on the field. I'm hesitating. I'm like, `Brett Favre is not going to take himself out of any game.' They're screaming at me, and he can hear it as well. He's waving them off. Finally, they're throwing me out on the field. I'm like, `Oh great, I'm going to run out there and he's going to wave me off.' I didn't want to do anything to offend Brett. So they finally get him to come off the field. He comes back three plays later . . . . You see him on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, his body's aching. Even Thursday, Friday and Saturday. His body is sore. I can only imagine everything that he plays with.''

His effectiveness when he speaks out within the team: ``He picks his spots. He's not extremely vocal. When he speaks it's when he feels he's supposed to. It's always in opportune times and when we need that. Last year, we were 2-9 or 2-10, and everyone was down. He gave us about a five-minute speech after practice one day. Playing with pride. Not being selfish. Believing in something other than yourself. It was incredibly effective and inspiring.''

The humor he brings to the workplace: ``There's something new all the time. His body sounds. I'll leave that up to the imagination. Just his one-liners. When I first met Tom Clements I didn't see his sense of humor. Until Brett got here. I'll tell you, Tom has loosened up. It's hard to keep a straight face when Brett's in the room and he's cracking jokes and making body sounds. This happens all the time, no matter what time of day or where we're at.''

His view on controversial issues: ``He always speaks from the heart. Sometimes people construe that the wrong way. What he said about Koren (Robinson) was exactly what I was feeling.''

His post-game press conferences: ``To be honest, I actually watch his post-game interviews. I've done that since I was kid. Because I feel like you can learn something from everybody. I think he speaks really well. He's always good about deflecting credit.''

Weightlifting and conditioning: ``He works out. They wanted to make sure we were in shape in training camp. The quarterbacks would run extra gassers after practice. The funniest thing, and it would kind of (upset him) a little bit, would be these fans along the fence saying, `C'mon, old man, run.' That was not cool. And he was working hard. I just hope when I'm 37 I can run the same way he does.''

Ability as a ballhandler: ``I think he's incredible. I've heard people say, `Why does Brett hold the ball out there on a run play? They're just telegraphing the run.' His ballhandling is the same whether it's a run or a play-action pass. The great play-action quarterbacks, like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, hold the ball out there as long as they can to draw the defenders in so the windows can open up downfield. His ballhandling is very underrated. His footwork is also extremely, extremely good.''

His progressions and reading of defenses: ``I think he's doing really, really good. He's doing what they want him to do.''

His relationship with McCarthy: ``I think they have great communication. I keep seeing plays being put in that Brett's been talking about maybe the week before, or during the week and they'll be put in later in the week. So I know they have to spend a lot of time together. There's definitely a trust between them that if coach McCarthy puts a play in that Brett wanted Brett's going to execute it and make it effective. That's really important. I think that's a great quality coach McCarthy has. An ability to interact. It's not a one-way conversation. There's a give-and-take.''

On being a star: ``He handles it great. It's hard to comment because I don't know what he grows through. He doesn't put himself above the team. He doesn't act like he's got a bunch of money in the bank, even though he does. It's refreshing, it's really refreshing.''

---

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is saying all the right things and although some may say "well, what do you expect him to say" I am leaning towards him being genuine with his comments as he did not have to go into such depth.

Rodgers seems like a class act so far and I like the way he talks about Brett. Hopefully he will shine when Brett is gone but Hopefully this will not be for at least another year or two.

Good Post Heatherthepackgirl !!!

OP
OP
H

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Winnipeg!!! I loved this article, I think to that Rodgers is being genuine saying all these nice things..he is learning from the BEST QB in the league...I hope to that he can learn another few years...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to be negative but does anybody find this a little disturbing? Believe me, everything he says about Favre I agree with 100%. But shouldn't every football player worth his salt want to be in there starting whether they are playing behind Brett Favre or Jon Kitna?

I think Rodgers plans on being here a while and feels he better not p1ss off the fans. Every real football player I know wants to be on the field, not holding a clipboard, especially being a first round pick. Either Rodgers is putting on a false front for the fans and betterment of the team or he has lost a bit of his competitive edge. I hope and prefer to believe it is the former.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What Rodgers says to the media might be completely different from his thoughts. Although I think he is realistic, because he will probably never start in Green Bay while Favre. He's a winner and I think he wants to be on that field with the whole of his heart.

tonytokes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh come on...

the KID is 22 years old!

yeah he's a competitor but it's brett favre -- you back him up, you grew up in GRADE school watching the guy and thinking "wow".

how would you feel playing with brett favre? sure leinart is starting, but he's also getting worked and losing. i loved winning a state championship a lot more as a senior but winning as a sophomore with only playing special teams and nickel back was pretty awesome too. especially since the thought of leading the team as a QB -- as a sophomore -- was partially intimidating and i felt i still had plenty to learn.

he's 22 years old. just about a year removed from not being able to buy a beer. he'll be fine.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh come on...

the KID is 22 years old!

yeah he's a competitor but it's brett favre -- you back him up, you grew up in GRADE school watching the guy and thinking "wow".

how would you feel playing with brett favre? sure leinart is starting, but he's also getting worked and losing. i loved winning a state championship a lot more as a senior but winning as a sophomore with only playing special teams and nickel back was pretty awesome too. especially since the thought of leading the team as a QB -- as a sophomore -- was partially intimidating and i felt i still had plenty to learn.

he's 22 years old. just about a year removed from not being able to buy a beer. he'll be fine.

Nobody said he won't be fine. I didn't mean to get your ******* in a bunch. When you won "all those state championships" did you want to play or hold the clipboard? That's my only point. If he has a competitive bone in his body he wants to be on the field not the sideline. I don't care how old he is or who he is behind.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't necessarily believe he does not want to start, he is a realist and realizes that as long as #4 can and wants to play the game, it is just a matter of making the best of the situation and using it to learn and hone skills.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think watching Lienart should show Aaron that starting as a rookie isn't all roses. Any rookie wants to start but as they get older they usually see the advatages of waiting and learning. The worst thing a player could do is sit the first 2 years but not be fully into learning and improving just cause he's not playing. BTW great post usually I can't read those long ones. Something about my A.D.D. LOL

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to be negative but does anybody find this a little disturbing? Believe me, everything he says about Favre I agree with 100%. But shouldn't every football player worth his salt want to be in there starting whether they are playing behind Brett Favre or Jon Kitna?

I think Rodgers plans on being here a while and feels he better not p1ss off the fans. Every real football player I know wants to be on the field, not holding a clipboard, especially being a first round pick. Either Rodgers is putting on a false front for the fans and betterment of the team or he has lost a bit of his competitive edge. I hope and prefer to believe it is the former.

I don't see anything disturbing in there. Rodgers is not commenting at all on whether or not he wants to play, he is just talking about Brett Favre and what he has learned from him. I share your hope that Rodgers wants to play, and I think he does. But he's not really in a position to talk about that. It would not be well-received by fans. Also, there are already enough people in the national media who enjoy taking pot shots at Favre; Rodgers is not going to give them anything they can use as ammunition.

I'm really encouraged by what Rodgers says about the way the coaching staff and Favre work together. Honestly, I thought Favre was a goner halfway through last season. I thought he should just hang it up because he looked miserable out there. But I don't think that's going to happen to him in the second half of this season, even if the team struggles again down the stretch.

I also liked what Rodgers said about Favre's ball handling skills. That's a part of Favre's game that I've always admired, the way he sells a play-action, all that stuff. He's a joy to watch.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you saw the special they had on packers.com about Aaron Rodgers...Aaron's been admiring Brett since he was 12. He gets to watch his childhood idol in person. It's gotta be surreal for him.

Also he does understand the situation. He is a quarterback that wants to be completely prepared to play. Jeff Tedford at Cal prepared his QBs so well that they were completely comfortable when they played.

Even Mike McCarthy said that when Aaron hits his comfort level like he did this year, "you're all gonna know what it's all about"....that's McCarthy's way of saying we'll know how good Aaron is.

He's gonna be like Phillip Rivers is..and he's got a better QB to learn from than Rivers did.

This is Brett's last year here and in year 3, Aaron Rodgers will be the new shining start in Green Bay

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you saw the special they had on packers.com about Aaron Rodgers...Aaron's been admiring Brett since he was 12. He gets to watch his childhood idol in person. It's gotta be surreal for him.

Also he does understand the situation. He is a quarterback that wants to be completely prepared to play. Jeff Tedford at Cal prepared his QBs so well that they were completely comfortable when they played.

Even Mike McCarthy said that when Aaron hits his comfort level like he did this year, "you're all gonna know what it's all about"....that's McCarthy's way of saying we'll know how good Aaron is.

He's gonna be like Phillip Rivers is..and he's got a better QB to learn from than Rivers did.

This is Brett's last year here and in year 3, Aaron Rodgers will be the new shining start in Green Bay

Thanks for the input Aaron. What happens when Brett announces he's coming back next season?

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hehe..very funny Depack...me Aaron..yeah..I wish (and the millions that he has with it).

When Brett announces he's coming back, Ted Thompson will be telling him, "we're going in another direction".

That is coming.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hehe..very funny Depack...me Aaron..yeah..I wish (and the millions that he has with it).

When Brett announces he's coming back, Ted Thompson will be telling him, "we're going in another direction".

That is coming.

I was kidding about the Aaron thing but I was interested in your answer.

I'm sorry but if Brett wants to come back next year he will be welcomed back with open arms and Rodgers will have to learn for another season behind the great one.

Members online

Latest posts