Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

H

HardRightEdge

Yes they would have

Its on record from coaches ( I posted article last Year) its a project.
I've read those reports. First, that was last year. Second, there are comments made for public consumption and then there's what they really think--today. I wouldn't throw in the towel on him reaching his draft status upside quite yet, but going against a couple of good OTs this week turned him invisible. His progress is sloooow.

His snap count was down sharply this week. Defensive snaps for weeks 1-3 have been 62% then 61% then 30%.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've read those reports. First, that was last year. Second, there are comments made for public consumption and then there's what they really think--today. I wouldn't throw in the towel on him reaching his draft status upside quite yet, but going against a couple of good OTs this week turned him invisible. His progress is sloooow.

His snap count was down sharply this week. Defensive snaps for weeks 1-3 have been 62% then 61% then 30%.
I heard a snip from nagler that he might have an injury?

H

HardRightEdge

I heard a snip from nagler that he might have an injury?
I see now he went out of Sunday's game with an ankle injury and was questionable to return. I don't recall if he did. Perhaps a repeat of the high ankle sprain from last August.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's an absolutely ridiculous statement... decision making is taught or learned in all aspects of life, certainly not limited to but definitely including at the quarterback position.

Love was 8 and 6 then 32 and 6 then 20 and 17. So 60 and 29 overall, was the 17 an outlier or the 6. I think by watching what the guy can do physically and believing the Packers front office when they say he's very smart, he has a great situation to develop into number 3
Not exactly sure what I agreed to...but it sounds good.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That's an absolutely ridiculous statement... decision making is taught or learned in all aspects of life, certainly not limited to but definitely including at the quarterback position.

Love was 8 and 6 then 32 and 6 then 20 and 17. So 60 and 29 overall, was the 17 an outlier or the 6. I think by watching what the guy can do physically and believing the Packers front office when they say he's very smart, he has a great situation to develop into number 3
The 17 int season was roght after the 6 int season under a system that fit him..

The 17 was a new system that even his coach said might not been best fit for him.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/12/12/gordon-monson-utah-state/

Andersen thought Love was a fine quarterback, but perhaps not an ideal fit for the offense he wants to run at USU. And stuck in the uncomfortable circumstances that surrounded hi

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leave it to Gary Andersen to mess up the most talented QB he’ll ever coach.

I mean they also lost like 9 starters on offense. For a school that doesn't have the pull to reload every single year it just might of been a factor also

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I mean they also lost like 9 starters on offense. For a school that doesn't have the pull to reload every single year it just might of been a factor also

It certainly was. Ted Nguyen did a piece on that for The Athletic IIRC. He demonstrated thoroughly that the USU supporting cast was abysmal.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

His teammates were awful. Absolutely awful.

But those are just excuses, or so I'm told.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goor article, thanks LTF. Gary is a different player this year, and is it me, but does he look a lot leaner and faster than last year? And I'll eat some humble pie here as I was disappointed. A #12 pick should be able to contribute immediately. But with the luxury of having the Smiths (Preston's lost something this year, not insurmountable), and the ever-reliable Clark st NT, AND a decent of not overwhelming secondary, the D SHOULD be a lot better than 22nd.

But this is about Gary, and I'm impressed. He wasn't tasked with generating a lot of sacks in college, and given his athletic ability and some good coaching (tongue in cheek), his star is rising.

There IS talent on this team, at least top 15 talent. But they're 22nd and they put all the pressure on Rodgers and company to be near perfect every week.

Yeah, we could use a real ILB, and probably another stud on the DL, but IMO, that's it. Pettine looks lost most games. And don't get me started on STs. MLF is a take-charge guy, so don't be surprised if we have new DC and STs coordinators next year. My biggest disappointment is Pettine. No energy on D coming out of the tunnel. No swarming to the ball as we see with, say the Bucs.

And things are lining up for a return to the SB, on the offense alone. But, and this is just my opinion so please don't crucify me, Defense wins championships. And there are two (Chiefs and Bills) to be concerned about. KC also has defensive concerns, and I don't know about the Bills.

Oh well, enough. Thanks for the fine article on Gary. Go young man! Go Pack!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you believe in conspiracy theories, and who doesn't these days, Gluten brought in Love to light a fire under Rogers. I think that was unnecessary and the waste of first and 4th round picks.

Anyway, I don't care much for Love's college numbers. Too messy and inconsistent to form an opinion, and hey, he had some high points too.. If Rodgers takes us to the SB, look for GB to either elevate Love to #2 next season, or try to get something for him. I just don't think 12 is going anywhere for awhile.

Did Gluten light a fire under Rodgers' *** with the Love selection? I doubt it. Rodgers was regressing for 2 or 3 years thanks to MM. Now we have an MVP is waiting. I think it's adapting to MLF and keeping most of the unit intact.

BUT, a #22 D will not get the job done. C'mon Petting. Stop looking so lost on the sidelines, and please blitz more on obvious passing downs. We haven't seen enough of that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If you believe in conspiracy theories, and who doesn't these days, Gluten brought in Love to light a fire under Rogers. I think that was unnecessary and the waste of first and 4th round picks.

Anyway, I don't care much for Love's college numbers. Too messy and inconsistent to form an opinion, and hey, he had some high points too.. If Rodgers takes us to the SB, look for GB to either elevate Love to #2 next season, or try to get something for him. I just don't think 12 is going anywhere for awhile.

Did Gluten light a fire under Rodgers' *** with the Love selection? I doubt it. Rodgers was regressing for 2 or 3 years thanks to MM. Now we have an MVP is waiting. I think it's adapting to MLF and keeping most of the unit intact.

BUT, a #22 D will not get the job done. C'mon Petting. Stop looking so lost on the sidelines, and please blitz more on obvious passing downs. We haven't seen enough of that.
I don’t buy into that conspiracy. I think an uncommon QB talent was uncommonly available when we had the means and opportunity to get him. I think it is really as simple as that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t buy into that conspiracy. I think an uncommon QB talent was uncommonly available when we had the means and opportunity to get him. I think it is really as simple as that.

agreed, and I don't like conspiracy theories anyway. I do think they try to move Love up to #2 next year. He might have made it this year, but Covid messed up a lot of plans and Boyle played well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Concur...but who cares that is far off topic for this thread.

Gary is a beast. It is rare that a guy with his gifts and taken where he was is allowed to come in and learn and grow without the pressure of 40, 50 or 60% of the snaps out the gate. The dude had two beasts and a solid starter in Fackrell ahead of him - that one year I think was immense before we shifted into second gear this year for him...just wait until he steals Preston's snaps and we see 3rd gear.....hold on I feel it may be special.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The whole idea of drafting is to maximize the level of talent across your roster. Kind of like what Jack Vainisi did back in the late 50’s.

Gary is a true physical talent commensurate with the 12th pick. Now the trick is to coach him up and it appears to be happening.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think it was a combination of talent, natural ability, and likely the sober minded realization that drafting Rodgers successor will in all probability take multiple attempts. Grab Love now, see if he develops. If he doesnt, or if the team has some concerns like injuries, you can grab another QB in the next few years. It was the same story with Rodgers, see the drafting of Brohm in the Spring of 2008. A smart GM has to hedge his bets in this kind of a situation.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Back to Gary, I’m glad we are the type of team that doesn’t have to worry about forcing a 1st round pick into a role they probably aren’t ready for. That smacks of pathetic desperation to me.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Gary has a legit potential to be an impact player. He just needs more experience and work on technique, such on how to set up an opposing lineman and hand usage. I think we're going to see more good things from him this season, but he'll really bust out next season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Gary is looking strong. And maybe he is starting to use his hands more for an inside move to the QB.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Gary is looking strong. And maybe he is starting to use his hands more for an inside move to the QB.

If he develops a good inside move look out, because mix of speed and power already looks to be overwhelming at times.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, I don't buy into any conspiracies. I think it's as you say, there was an uncommon QB talent available (and there's always a market for those, well almost) and Gluten went for it. He was happy with the WR Group and 13 games later it turns out he was right.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he develops a good inside move look out, because mix of speed and power already looks to be overwhelming at times.
Good points. They're molding him into something he wasn't at Michigan. And that does take a year or two. He's doing fine.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Concur...but who cares that is far off topic for this thread.

Gary is a beast. It is rare that a guy with his gifts and taken where he was is allowed to come in and learn and grow without the pressure of 40, 50 or 60% of the snaps out the gate. The dude had two beasts and a solid starter in Fackrell ahead of him - that one year I think was immense before we shifted into second gear this year for him...just wait until he steals Preston's snaps and we see 3rd gear.....hold on I feel it may be special.
My bad for pulling us off topic. Yeah they're molding Gary into something he wasn't at Michigan. I like what I see, and admit I was skeptical last year.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to Gary, I’m glad we are the type of team that doesn’t have to worry about forcing a 1st round pick into a role they probably aren’t ready for. That smacks of pathetic desperation to me.
Well to be fair, the Packers were so pathetically desperate that we spent $118M on Smith & Smith to bridge the gap until Gary was ready. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts