Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

Reaction score
Young or old our TEs are not very good at blocking. If there was one thing Big Dog could still do it was block. Hard to sustain a run game if you cannot block.
Yes. Especially when the OL is injured and the WR all all relatively new. Blocking is a learner art that few do well in their first season.

I noticed several plays where our opponent is 5 yards in our backfield and our guy is being accosted. That’s a major breakdown in assignment and it wasn’t just solely OL. Our TE and WR would go into make a block on someone who was already handled while letting their DB or LB get a free run at the play.

Another play I think it was Tom gave up on his block too early and that LB went clear across the field and assaulted Aaron Jones as he went out of bounds for a nice gain up the sideline. Their LB was on the opposite Edge of the field in combat but was deemed out of the play because it went the other direction. We can’t give up on blocks until the whistle. That Detroit LB (34?) saved a huge gain for Detroit through pure cross field hustle. Although he got flagged for a personal foul Had Tom slowed him .5 sec that’s either at minimum a 20+ run or a TD with 1 Safety to beat out of this photo
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Voyageur, so you don't think Moon would have been a good Qb if he hadn't gone to Canada? I agree he might not have made it in the NFL. But that would have been because the coaches were blind or prejudiced. imo
He may have never gotten the playing time to prove himself, like he did in Canada. QB's, especially, seem to need a lot of real reps.

I like Clifford, but if the Packers are going to eventually be relying on him as a solid backup, I hope they can get him a decent amount of snaps this year. First though, they need to give Love as many as they can.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are TEs taught blocking in high school or college these days? It seems to me that most TEs today are pass catchers first.
Depends on the conference. There are still some good blocking TEs in college. But a number of schools used that spread pass happy offense in which TEs function differently. Obviously when college teams were run, run, run back in the day the TE did almost nothing but block. Nebraska, Alabama, Oklahoma were ru
No doubt Moon had the talent to be an NFL QB. Like most players, he would have had to learn the nuances of the game, but would have proven he had what it takes. If given a chance. There was a problem there. Like you said, prejudice. It was "common belief," among the idiots who seemed to know the game better than most, that black players weren't smart enough to play QB.

Had Warren opted to play in the NFL, they would have almost certainly have changed his position, because they weren't smart enough to realize how stupid their prejudices were.

His record, in 8 years in Canada, showed the NFL exactly what he was bringing to the table.

Joe Kapp was drafted by Washington in the late 50s. It was a late round pick. Their front office never bothered to contact Joe, making him wonder why they bothered drafting him. Since he had no other option, he chose to sign to play in the CFL. The rest is history. He proved, to Washington, that they made a mistake by not picking up that phone.

But it is true that it was very possible that Warren Moon would have never played a down in the NFL, because of the prejudices of that era, as they would have changed his position. It's hard to know for sure.
I do believe even in that era a Coach-GM like Lombardi WOULD have given Moon a chance had he saw a need for the position and had he saw the talent. I believe Vince looked at life as well that way. Hey, this is a coach who told Rozelle to run the NFL and he would run the Green Bay Packers when Rozelle called him about Lionel Aldridge marrying a white woman.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Especially when the OL is injured and the WR all all relatively new. Blocking is a learner art that few do well in their first season.

I noticed several plays where our opponent is 5 yards in our backfield and our guy is being accosted. That’s a major breakdown in assignment and it wasn’t just solely OL. Our TE and WR would go into make a block on someone who was already handled while letting their DB or LB get a free run at the play.

Another play I think it was Tom gave up on his block too early and that LB went clear across the field and assaulted Aaron Jones as he went out of bounds for a nice gain up the sideline. Their LB was on the opposite Edge of the field in combat but was deemed out of the play because it went the other direction. We can’t give up on blocks until the whistle. That Detroit LB (34?) saved a huge gain for Detroit through pure cross field hustle. Although he got flagged for a personal foul Had Tom slowed him .5 sec that’s either at minimum a 20+ run or a TD with 1 Safety to beat out of this photo
Hopefully, we shall learn from the film. You recall Marv Fleming who was to be the TE heir to Ron Kramer in 1964. He could catch passes and stretch the field but Lombardi would rail him and the coaching staff for his blocking. By 1965 he became one of the best blocking TEs in the league. And he had to come across and butt heads with **** Butkus twice a year.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on the conference. There are still some good blocking TEs in college. But a number of schools used that spread pass happy offense in which TEs function differently. Obviously when college teams were run, run, run back in the day the TE did almost nothing but block. Nebraska, Alabama, Oklahoma were ru

I do believe even in that era a Coach-GM like Lombardi WOULD have given Moon a chance had he saw a need for the position and had he saw the talent. I believe Vince looked at life as well that way. Hey, this is a coach who told Rozelle to run the NFL and he would run the Green Bay Packers when Rozelle called him about Lionel Aldridge marrying a white woman.
You're absolutely right. Lombardi would have given him the chance. That was who he was. But, sadly enough, that wasn't what the majority was all about, in the NFL.

The Aldridge situation was a sad time in GB. It showed a side of a lot of Packer fans that should never have been there. I could relate a couple of stories, related to situations dealing with racial issues that I know about first hand, but I won't. Let's just say that there are some Packer fans who need to be sent packing.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're absolutely right. Lombardi would have given him the chance. That was who he was. But, sadly enough, that wasn't what the majority was all about, in the NFL.

The Aldridge situation was a sad time in GB. It showed a side of a lot of Packer fans that should never have been there. I could relate a couple of stories, related to situations dealing with racial issues that I know about first hand, but I won't. Let's just say that there are some Packer fans who need to be sent packing.
It could probably be said of fans all over the NFL. It is a work in progress. Lombardi himself understood enough of that. He was convinced that he could not get a coaching job at some universities because of his last name and his religious affiliation. Green Bay was not a coveted position at the time. It was as if Pro Football was telling him that if you want a job, we'll give you a job. Here...Green Bay, WISCONSIN. And think of the time he had to play preseason games in certain geographic locations. Staying at different hotels was not his cup of tea. And he would not go there again. He said either we all stay here or none of us stay here.

Members online

Latest posts