Packer 1st and 2nd round picks

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Burnett had an interception in the NFCCG and inexplicably went down without contact after it. He forced a fumble last season as well.
Not really inexplicably - remember he was encouraged by Peppers to go down - so as not to risk a fumble I guess. And remember, it didn't matter because the game was already won. :cry:
idk maybe its just me then.
It may be - you went from he avoids contact to when has he gotten an INT or FF - and captainWIMM shot all that down. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

Not really inexplicably - remember he was encouraged by Peppers to go down - so as not to risk a fumble I guess. And remember, it didn't matter because the game was already won. :cry:

Yeah, we've discussed that play at length on the forum after the game. Unfortunately I was reminded about it when I thought about Burnett's last interception.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It may be - you went from he avoids contact to when has he gotten an INT or FF - and captainWIMM shot all that down. ;)
not shot down burnett is a soft strong saftey 1int 1ff last year. my opinion ;)

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all expect Hall of Fame results in the first year from draft picks lets face it... But I do not like what I see out of Randall. He gets burned way way way way to often last 3 weeks at least (Packers giving up more yards than I have ever seen).... Also the last 3 weeks receivers seem to be WIDE OPEN... I think we go back to power running and passing from Aaron.. Those awesome screens that won us so many games. I hope the defense figures this out, because I should not be worried about this Lions game, but I sense a week 17 repeat of a couple years ago.. High scoring, with the Packers squeaking it out...

PS I understand I probably responded on the wrong post for a mixture of my comments... GO PACK GO

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all expect Hall of Fame results in the first year from draft picks lets face it... But I do not like what I see out of Randall. He gets burned way way way way to often last 3 weeks at least (Packers giving up more yards than I have ever seen).... Also the last 3 weeks receivers seem to be WIDE OPEN... I think we go back to power running and passing from Aaron.. Those awesome screens that won us so many games. I hope the defense figures this out, because I should not be worried about this Lions game, but I sense a week 17 repeat of a couple years ago.. High scoring, with the Packers squeaking it out...

PS I understand I probably responded on the wrong post for a mixture of my comments... GO PACK GO
So in other words....you're seeing a GB first round draft pick. Hopefully he'll develop, as I've seen some good things from him. But who knows if it isn't just the fault of the coaches for not developing them properly.

D

Deleted member 6794

We all expect Hall of Fame results in the first year from draft picks lets face it... But I do not like what I see out of Randall. He gets burned way way way way to often last 3 weeks at least (Packers giving up more yards than I have ever seen).... Also the last 3 weeks receivers seem to be WIDE OPEN... I think we go back to power running and passing from Aaron.

Randall has shown a lot of promise so far. A rookie corner will get burned from time to time but he has been able to bounce back nicely most of the time. The Packers haven't featured a power running game since Rodgers became the starter.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is cracked. That list of draft picks is our core. A young core that has is 6-2 and imo going to being the Lombardi trophy back home to title town this year. Sherrod broke his leg otherwise he would be our stud lt imo. Adams Cobb. Perry Jones. Jones been solid this year and the defense seemed to soften substantially when Perry went out. Lacy and out new star safety. Along with two very very good rookie cbs!!! That sounds like a haul to me?!?! Worthy was a beast for the Spartans. Absolute beast. I can only speculate the blown out back was career ending. Can't blame him for that.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is cracked. That list of draft picks is our core. A young core that has is 6-2 and imo going to being the Lombardi trophy back home to title town this year. Sherrod broke his leg otherwise he would be our stud lt imo. Adams Cobb. Perry Jones. Jones been solid this year and the defense seemed to soften substantially when Perry went out. Lacy and out new star safety. Along with two very very good rookie cbs!!! That sounds like a haul to me?!?! Worthy was a beast for the Spartans. Absolute beast. I can only speculate the blown out back was career ending. Can't blame him for that.
Cobb, yes. Lacy has had an impact. The rest still have a lot to prove. And Jones and Perry haven't had nearly enough production to justify 1st round picks.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb, yes. Lacy has had an impact. The rest still have a lot to prove. And Jones and Perry haven't had nearly enough production to justify 1st round picks.

Not sure how this forum handles quotes, but this response is to post #32. Just didn't want to step on Patriot's toes, and there are several good points in that reply.

First, I'd be thrilled with bringing a Lombardi home. In fact, that's the only successful outcome I accept when the team starts with a very reasonable expectation of doing so. Maybe this team can rise from the ashes and give us another fairy-tale finish, ala 2010, but one has to be wearing Green-and-Gold glasses are this point to be looking forward to it.

Yes, 'that list of draft picks is our core' - no argument. The concern of many is exactly that.

I was a big Sherrod fan for the years that he was recovering. Lots of negativity about him being soft, and I was just thinking 'wait until that beast is healthy'. Well, he got healthy, and then what? Same with Worthy - he healed well enough to play again, unlike Collins, Finley, et. al., but failed miserably.

Show that list of draft positions to a neutral fan, ask what they'd expect to see in the way of production, and I'd be pretty comfortable estimating that they'd think the team should be a lot better than it is.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how this forum handles quotes, but this response is to post #32. Just didn't want to step on Patriot's toes, and there are several good points in that reply.

First, I'd be thrilled with bringing a Lombardi home. In fact, that's the only successful outcome I accept when the team starts with a very reasonable expectation of doing so. Maybe this team can rise from the ashes and give us another fairy-tale finish, ala 2010, but one has to be wearing Green-and-Gold glasses are this point to be looking forward to it.

Yes, 'that list of draft picks is our core' - no argument. The concern of many is exactly that.

I was a big Sherrod fan for the years that he was recovering. Lots of negativity about him being soft, and I was just thinking 'wait until that beast is healthy'. Well, he got healthy, and then what? Same with Worthy - he healed well enough to play again, unlike Collins, Finley, et. al., but failed miserably.

Show that list of draft positions to a neutral fan, ask what they'd expect to see in the way of production, and I'd be pretty comfortable estimating that they'd think the team should be a lot better than it is.
Meanwhile, Seattle has drafted 5 pro bowlers since 2010 on the defensive side of the ball, some of them being All Pro. And Only Thomas was taken in the first round, to my recollection. They also drafted Irvin and Maxwell.

So in other words, our GM really needs someone in there who knows what they're doing during draft week.

D

Deleted member 6794

Meanwhile, Seattle has drafted 5 pro bowlers since 2010 on the defensive side of the ball, some of them being All Pro. And Only Thomas was taken in the first round, to my recollection. They also drafted Irvin and Maxwell.

So in other words, our GM really needs someone in there who knows what they're doing during draft week.

Pro Bowls is a terrible metric to measure a player's performance. There's no doubt that the Seahawks and several other teams have had more success drafting defensive players though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pro Bowls is a terrible metric to measure a player's performance. There's no doubt that the Seahawks and several other teams have had more success drafting defensive players though.

Two sentences, not one word to rebut. Might add, though, that I'd certainly question the success drafting offensively, as well.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two sentences, not one word to rebut. Might add, though, that I'd certainly question the success drafting offensively, as well.
I'm scratching my head after each pick they make. I'm no professional recruiter, but there almost always seems to be better athletes on the board than the picks they make, even at the position they drafted for.

If you recall Nick Collins, he was a very talented athlete, likely with the best measurables on the board, but raw. I'd rather take the best athlete on the board in the early rounds, regardless of position; we certainly aren't stacked in any area.

Then take the athletic, raw project-type ones in the later rounds who could provide a lot of bang for the buck and turn out special. It seems like he's aiming for needs in the draft, but he's getting players who really weren't overwhelming special in college and turn out to be role players or OK starters.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, it's tough to argue with Thompson's success drafting offensive players as the Packers have been one of the highest scoring teams in the NFL for several years and all of the contributors on that side of the ball were acquired through the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm scratching my head after each pick they make. I'm no professional recruiter, but there almost always seems to be better athletes on the board than the picks they make, even at the position they drafted for.

If you recall Nick Collins, he was a very talented athlete, likely with the best measurables on the board, but raw. I'd rather take the best athlete on the board in the early rounds, regardless of position; we certainly aren't stacked in any area.

Then take the athletic, raw project-type ones in the later rounds who could provide a lot of bang for the buck and turn out special. It seems like he's aiming for needs in the draft, but he's getting players who really weren't overwhelming special in college and turn out to be role players or OK starters.

I'd rather have Thompson selecting the best football player available with position of need factoring into the decision.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it's tough to argue with Thompson's success drafting offensive players as the Packers have been one of the highest scoring teams in the NFL for several years and all of the contributors on that side of the ball were acquired through the draft.

Dead horse time, but if his first draft had been different, how much scoring would there have been?

Also, perhaps I'm just upset about thinking a particular area has been fixed, then taking a current step backwards to think about the skill positions, OLine, and the last couple of games. Conventional wisdom now has us with WRs unable to get open, next-to-nothing from the TE position, a #1 running back (who I've always really like and am glad to see there) who was perhaps on the bubble a few months ago, starting linemen playing down to their draft position, and backups playing like backups.

Sure, a resurgence starting this week and lots of offensive totals in the 30s would probably put those memories to rest, but today is today, and the disarray is obvious.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Sherrod broke his leg otherwise he would be our stud lt imo. Worthy was a beast for the Spartans. Absolute beast. I can only speculate the blown out back was career ending. Can't blame him for that.
Two bad examples IMO. Sherrod showed little to nothing before he got injured. Would he have improved? Sure, but "stud" is way overblown IMO. The same with Worthy. His greatest asset in college was his initial quick step and that did not translate to the NFL - again before he got hurt - and he was not stout enough to be good vs. the run.
I'm scratching my head after each pick they make.
So where do you think Thompson and staff rank as drafters? 16th in the league? Worse?

D

Deleted member 6794

Dead horse time, but if his first draft had been different, how much scoring would there have been?

Also, perhaps I'm just upset about thinking a particular area has been fixed, then taking a current step backwards to think about the skill positions, OLine, and the last couple of games. Conventional wisdom now has us with WRs unable to get open, next-to-nothing from the TE position, a #1 running back (who I've always really like and am glad to see there) who was perhaps on the bubble a few months ago, starting linemen playing down to their draft position, and backups playing like backups.

Sure, a resurgence starting this week and lots of offensive totals in the 30s would probably put those memories to rest, but today is today, and the disarray is obvious.

There's no denying the offense is struggling right now but I don't think the reason for it is a lack of talent.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no denying the offense is struggling right now but I don't think the reason for it is a lack of talent.

Fair enough. Hope you're right - lots easier to fix schemes, motivation, stuff like that, than replacing the team.

Reaction score
idk man hes been soft since he came to the league. he avoids contact on run plays atleast haha tries. burnett never tries to get through blocks. I watch him play after play. Just my opinion tho. I feel haha is the only one in the secondary giving it his all besides the rookies who are very green. In all honesty im glad he went at Peppers cause where have peppers been???MIA
I did find it interesting on that TD in question, that once Peppers shed his block he hesitated and went into QB run containment mode rather than thrusting towards Cam. I think he sensed Cam was gonna run

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two bad examples IMO. Sherrod showed little to nothing before he got injured. Would he have improved? Sure, but "stud" is way overblown IMO. The same with Worthy. His greatest asset in college was his initial quick step and that did not translate to the NFL - again before he got hurt - and he was not stout enough to be good vs. the run. So where do you think Thompson and staff rank as drafters? 16th in the league? Worse?
Offensively, I think he's got an eye for talent- he seems to be going for building a team that will last instead of the potential super stars who will hold out for a big contract. I think their offensive woes are on the coaching, rather than a talent void, though I'm sure Rodgers wouldn't mind better blockers or more firepower.

Defensively, I'd like to say he's bottom of the barrel, but we wouldn't know unless a better DC came in and proved these busts actually can play.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm still under the belief that TT knows talent and has used the draft and signing of UDFA's better then most. But, I have always thought he was short sighted in signing FA's, this year being one where we really could have used a few (TE, ILB).

Anyway, I stumbled across this article (published in September) and find the correlation between "homegrown teams" and their records this year (and last) to be telling. Take into mind injuries on some of those top teams.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/9/7/9248177/bengals-among-nfl-best-in-homegrown-talent

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Offensively, I think he's got an eye for talent- he seems to be going for building a team that will last instead of the potential super stars who will hold out for a big contract.
You aren't saying Thompson and staff purposely avoid drafting potential super stars, are you?

BTW, it should be noted that they generally draft near the end of each round. Over the past 5 drafts the average is about 27th; since he's been GM about 22nd. That's all the more reason to be more active in UFA, so IMO that's a bigger weakness than his drafting prowess.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You aren't saying Thompson and staff purposely avoid drafting potential super stars, are you?

BTW, it should be noted that they generally draft near the end of each round. Over the past 5 drafts the average is about 27th; since he's been GM about 22nd. That's all the more reason to be more active in UFA, so IMO that's a bigger weakness than his drafting prowess.
I'm not saying they are picking up duds purposely, but they clearly aren't trying to surround him with the same type of athlete Indy or Pittsburg is. Big, very fast, or both.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not saying they are picking up duds purposely, but they clearly aren't trying to surround him with the same type of athlete Indy or Pittsburg is. Big, very fast, or both.

I'm glad Thompson selects football players and doesn't draft guys because of their measurements and athleticism only.