Packer 1st and 2nd round picks

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every NFL team needs its 1st and 2nd round picks to play well to perform at a high level, because that is where most impactful players come from. Looking at the Pack's past 5 drafts, I just don't see the contributions being made THIS SEASON by the players the team most needs to be playmakers.

2011: 1st Sherrod (injury and/or lack of ability led to zero contribution), 2nd Cobb (the best player taken in rounds 1 or 2 the past 5 drafts);

2012: 1st Perry (either due to injury or being out of position, Nick has flashed but just not contributed like a 1st rounder), 2nd Worthy (nothing), 2nd Hayward (good slot guy as a rookie, followed by injuries and exposure as a below average outside CB this season);

2013: 1st Datone Jones (after not much in years 1 & 2, he looks pretty good this year, but he played only 18 snaps on Sunday and more is needed by a 1st rounder), 2nd Lacy (outstanding first 2 years -- his play was instrumental in the team's success in both years, but he has virtually disappeared this season);

2014: 1st Clinton-Dix (I like him more than most it seems, too many M.D. Jennings memories for me, but he is not exactly setting the world on fire), 2nd Adams (has flashed and had injuries, but GB really needs more out of him);

2015: 1st Randall (for a college safety he looks great at CB, but he has also been lit up probably due to his inexperience at the position), 2nd Rollins (shows promise, but is not doing much now)

I am NOT comparing these selections with other teams. I am NOT saying they were bad picks.

I am saying that the Packers, a team that relies upon the draft unlike any other, are NOT getting necessary production from players selected in rounds 1 & 2 the last five years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Every NFL team needs its 1st and 2nd round picks to play well to perform at a high level, because that is where most impactful players come from. Looking at the Pack's past 5 drafts, I just don't see the contributions being made THIS SEASON by the players the team most needs to be playmakers.

2011: 1st Sherrod (injury and/or lack of ability led to zero contribution), 2nd Cobb (the best player taken in rounds 1 or 2 the past 5 drafts);

2012: 1st Perry (either due to injury or being out of position, Nick has flashed but just not contributed like a 1st rounder), 2nd Worthy (nothing), 2nd Hayward (good slot guy as a rookie, followed by injuries and exposure as a below average outside CB this season);

2013: 1st Datone Jones (after not much in years 1 & 2, he looks pretty good this year, but he played only 18 snaps on Sunday and more is needed by a 1st rounder), 2nd Lacy (outstanding first 2 years -- his play was instrumental in the team's success in both years, but he has virtually disappeared this season);

2014: 1st Clinton-Dix (I like him more than most it seems, too many M.D. Jennings memories for me, but he is not exactly setting the world on fire), 2nd Adams (has flashed and had injuries, but GB really needs more out of him);

2015: 1st Randall (for a college safety he looks great at CB, but he has also been lit up probably due to his inexperience at the position), 2nd Rollins (shows promise, but is not doing much now)

I am NOT comparing these selections with other teams. I am NOT saying they were bad picks.

I am saying that the Packers, a team that relies upon the draft unlike any other, are NOT getting necessary production from players selected in rounds 1 & 2 the last five years.

There´s no denying that the Packers don´t get enough production out of the first-round picks listed here this season. It´s way too early to make a fair evaluation of Clinton-Dix and Randall though.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so I have to say if u watch Clinton Dix he is seriously scared to tackle people and he was known in college for his big hits he flashes potential but seriously he is garbage Casey Hayward is only good at slot corner I think Randall is gonna be good once he gets more experience..

D

Deleted member 6794

Ok so I have to say if u watch Clinton Dix he is seriously scared to tackle people and he was known in college for his big hits he flashes potential but seriously he is garbage.

Clinton-Dix had a terrible game vs. the Panthers but overall he has stabilized the safety position which was in need of an major upgrade after the 2013 season.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's okay to your share of busts in the draft. You never know how these guys will develop. But to completely avoid the free agent market is stubborn and unacceptable.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so I have to say if u watch Clinton Dix he is seriously scared to tackle people and he was known in college for his big hits he flashes potential but seriously he is garbage Casey Hayward is only good at slot corner I think Randall is gonna be good once he gets more experience..
Hhcd the only one in the secondary flying to the ball. He's trying to do to much for the lack of the under performing players on D. Now if you said Burnett is garbage I might agree with ya. Burnett is as soft as tissue paper.

OP
OP
D

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s no denying that the Packers don´t get enough production out of the first-round picks listed here this season. It´s way too early to make a fair evaluation of Clinton-Dix and Randall though.

As I said in my opening post, I like HHCD more than most and think Randall looks like he is going to be a very good player. Heck, Randall has already done more in half a season than several of the 1st/2nd rounders selected in the previous 4 years have done in their careers.

But in Green Bay we need our draft picks to come in and play well (or at least plug holes) right away, not just become good players down the road. When TT let Tramon & House, a starter and key reserve at CB, go in the offseason, the plan had to be for Randall to get action right away and so, unfair or not, their are big expectations for Randall to perform at a high-level now, right? After all, this is a team that is hoping to make it to and win a Super Bowl this season.

My bigger point is that in 2015 (this season), we are just not getting as much out of our top picks as I believe a team that relies almost exclusively on the draft needs to get out of them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Randall is going to be a star in this league and I'll put my name to that now. The jury is still out on Dix for me.

Notso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you pick at the bottom of the draft, as the Packers have for the past several years, your first round pick is more like a second, your second is more like a third, your third is more like a fourth, etc.

As for Randall "playing the corner position well for a converted safety" that's a bit off base. Not the "playing well" part; the "converted safety" part. Randall was a corner until his senior year when his school desperately needed a safety. He was the only corner they had that was capable of playing safety. If they had had another safety he would have been a starting corner. It was truly a matter of "putting the best 11 guys on the field."

Notso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dix does not like to tackle at all...

Dix was supposedly a big hitter in college. Earlier in the year it looked to me like he missed a lot of tackles because he went for the big-time hit instead of wrapping up and tackling. I haven't watched him closely over the past couple of games so I don't know if that's still the case or not. For those of you that have watched him closely over the past couple of games, does it look like that may still be the case?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dix was supposedly a big hitter in college. Earlier in the year it looked to me like he missed a lot of tackles because he went for the big-time hit instead of wrapping up and tackling. I haven't watched him closely over the past couple of games so I don't know if that's still the case or not. For those of you that have watched him closely over the past couple of games, does it look like that may still be the case?
His biggest issue last game was thinking he can just hang out and then close on any ball that's in the air. He doesn't have enough range to do that, not near fast enough.

But tackling has been an issue, he still pulls his arms in, head down and pretends he's a knockout punch. If others have them wrapped up it's fine, but he leaves the potential for a whiff and big play wide open whenever he has an open field tackle. That bothers me about his play. I think if he gets his head in the game, the stuff from last sunday will fix itself. I still think tackling is and will always be an issue for him.

Notso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. Your last sentence is the one that worries me. Some guys' college game just never does translate well to the pro game. Hopefully Darren Perry can get the best out of Ha Ha.

Reaction score
Clinton-Dix had a terrible game vs. the Panthers but overall he has stabilized the safety position which was in need of an major upgrade after the 2013 season.
Yes. Next to Mathews or Daniels he's probably 3rd for the most physical hitter on our D. It's his reads im concerned with, not his finishing

Reaction score
I also think Haha would be a good guy to send in on a blitz. He's very physical and QBs would remember him

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am really liking what I'm seeing from Randall, kid is a play maker with all the talent you could ask for. He just needs some more experience at the position and he'll be a pro bowler maybe even an All-Pro. Kid seems to do it all well, and his tackling is a rare plus for a cat who shows the natural cover skills that he shows. Rollins makes me think roleplayer, not sure he'll ever be effective outside with his lack of long speed. Feels like a new version of Hayward/Hyde.

Dix, I think he was a solid pick up but i don't see him being a star. Good instincts but ordinary ability. He's a lot better when he's only playing half the field versus single high. Adams is still an open book, could be another year before he really shines.

D Jones, has been disappointing but he's always had a knack for flash plays. It's possible that we've just been using him wrong. I want to see what he can do outside the tackle. I was genuinely amazed at how natural he looked playing with his head up against Frisco in January of 14.

Lacy, not sure what his deal is. It could just be that we haven't given him enough of a chance to get going. Also I hate watching Eddie Lacy run draws of the gun, hate it hate it hate it. Trouble is we don't have the offensive firepower to get teams to respect the pass when we roll out run sets. Nelson guaranteed two in coverage on his side alone.

Perry: A miss. He shows rare potential if and when healthy which is just as rare as his ability. At times he looks like Shawn Merriman, but most of the time he's just a guy.

Worthy: Bust

Hayward: A role player and a miss.

Sherrod: Unfortunate, kid might have been a good one if not for the injury.

Cobb: oversold by the OP, more of a Wes Welker type role player than a truly elite wide receiver.

Reaction score
Jordy drew the top Defender and part of Cobbs production came as a recipient of the pure distraction he caused defenders

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way way too many high draft pick busts in this list. While nobody always hits it big for a big-time gambler like TT who puts his eggs in the draft basket the high draft pick busts are killers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok so I have to say if u watch Clinton Dix he is seriously scared to tackle people...
Clinton-Dix career regular season stats from nfl.com: 109 total tackles, 36 assists for a total of 145. In 24 games. BTW, calling Clinton-Dix or Burnett "garbage" is childish IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hhcd the only one in the secondary flying to the ball. He's trying to do to much for the lack of the under performing players on D. Now if you said Burnett is garbage I might agree with ya. Burnett is as soft as tissue paper.

Burnett is a pretty good strong safety. He hasn´t played up to his potential this season because of a nagging calf injury.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burnett is a pretty good strong safety. He hasn´t played up to his potential this season because of a nagging calf injury.
idk man hes been soft since he came to the league. he avoids contact on run plays atleast haha tries. burnett never tries to get through blocks. I watch him play after play. Just my opinion tho. I feel haha is the only one in the secondary giving it his all besides the rookies who are very green. In all honesty im glad he went at Peppers cause where have peppers been???MIA

D

Deleted member 6794

idk man hes been soft since he came to the league. he avoids contact on run plays atleast haha tries. burnett never tries to get through blocks. I watch him play after play. Just my opinion tho. I feel haha is the only one in the secondary giving it his all besides the rookies who are very green. In all honesty im glad he went at Peppers cause where have peppers been???MIA

Burnett led the Packers in tackles last season so he's for sure not avoiding contact. It's pretty obvious he has been hampered by a calf injury all of this season so far.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burnett led the Packers in tackles last season so he's for sure not avoiding contact. It's pretty obvious he has been hampered by a calf injury all of this season so far.
idk maybe its just me then. when the last time he had a interception? when the last time he forced a fumble?

D

Deleted member 6794

idk maybe its just me then. when the last time he had a interception? when the last time he forced a fumble?

Burnett had an interception in the NFCCG and inexplicably went down without contact after it. He forced a fumble last season as well.

Members online

Latest posts