Pack vs Bears stud n dud

Puppydog31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arguably the best LT in the league, let me rephrase arguably the best OL in the entire NFL, is not a star?

Not the be all end all, but just checked and he is the 2nd highest rated OL in the league according to pff.

He is definitely a star. Not sure why you would think otherwise? Not trying to attack you but just wondering what your reasoning is?
And I think you need to watch other teams play and watch their LT. you would see that bahk is not all that special..

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
When he’s healthy and playing he’s not bad..

And I think you need to watch other teams play and watch their LT. you would see that bahk is not all that special..

pssssst.....I think you are all alone out in right field here. "When he is healthy"? That implies, to me, he is often injured. Not the case, especially when you compare him to most offensive lineman.

"Not that special"? Come on really? Not only is the guy pretty damn good, the Packers have a bargain contract on him. They could only be so lucky to have 20 other not so special players starting.

Last edited:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pssssst.....I think you are all alone out in right field here. "When he is healthy"? That implies, to me, he is often injured. Not the case, especially when you compare him to most offensive lineman.

"Not that special"? Come on really? Not only is the guy pretty damn good, the Packers have a bargain contact on him. They could only be so lucky to have 20 other not so special players starting.
The healthy comment was about king, but as for his dislike of the guy that grades out as the 2 best lineman in football, ya I dunno.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The healthy comment was about king, but as for his dislike of the guy that grades out as the 2 best lineman in football, ya I dunno.
Maybe this guy should start selling his services to the NFL. Since PFF is getting paid by many NFL teams for their player analysis, maybe this puppy guy can help them out. He obviously knows something they don’t.:rolleyes:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea why you're doting on Spriggs but he was awful in pass protection. While he might be a decent run blocker there's no reason to believe he will develop into a decent starter at any point.
Well, it's a sad day for this forum when I have to support a point using stats and figures to the data man himself, CptWimm. But here goes:

PFF rates our OL as follows

D. Bahktari. 87.3 good
C. Lindsley: 75.6 above average
B. Bulaga 71.6 above average
J Spriggs: 68.7 above average
L. Taylor 64.4 average
Bell. 46.5 below average.

Doesnt look like a hot mess that some want to believe.

Puppydog31

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"Not that special"? Come on really? Not only is the guy pretty damn good, the Packers have a bargain contract on him. They could only be so lucky to have 20 other not so special players starting.
Oh so he’s good because he’s a bargain?? Lmao. I remember my first beer..

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh so he’s good because he’s a bargain?? Lmao. I remember my first beer..

No, if you read and understand basic English, you will notice that I said "Not only is the guy pretty damn good, the Packers have a bargain contract on him"

Not only is the guy pretty damn good, the Packers have a bargain contract on him. They could only be so lucky to have 20 other not so special players starting.

Now if your first beer tasted like ****, but you kept drinking it because it was a bargain, that's on you.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say missing Mo Wilkerson, Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels had a really big impact on yesterdays game. Just having Spriggs in for Bulaga had a big impact on the game. Then put a back up next to the back up on the offensive line. I don't care who's on IR. Those are significant injuries when you're adding them up. Allison may not be a star, but you saw him and Cobb basically win that first bears game by being where they needed to be. Something we haven't had outside of Adams since.

Philly did win a super bowl, so did we once. Philly might not make the playoffs the year after, we had a big different history after ours.
Yeah, with Mo, Clark, and Daniels, it’s a different game, especially against “one read” Trubisky. There was no pressure on him from what I saw.

As for Spriggs, well I’ll be polite. He doesn’t belong in the NFL. I don’t care how high in the draft he was selected, he has been a huge failure. He looks more like a TE than an OL. He’s tall and awkward with terrible footwork. And it’s easy for the faster DLs and OLBs in the league to simply run around him.

Hey, it was a lousy season, but aside from the Skins’ game, it seemed that were competitive. That’s saying a lot given the condition of the Safety group, and the lack of an OLB who can put on a semblance of a rush.

Looking ahead, fixing the right-side of the O line and adding some depth in later rounds is doable and will help. As for the rest of the D, the CBs finally seem to be in good shape (King was disappointing), but the draft is strong in edge rushers. I expect they’ll fix most, not all, of their problems.

Puppydog31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, if you read and understand basic English, you will notice that I said "Not only is the guy pretty damn good, the Packers have a bargain contract on him"

Now if your first beer tasted like ****, but you kept drinking it because it was a bargain, that's on you.
LoL...I love talking with fourth graders...

D

Deleted member 6794

I think many posters are prejudiced based on his struggles last year and dont actually watch him play. As I said, Mack made Bahktiari look really bad on one play. Spriggs could have done better, of course, but he wasnt the garbage posters want to believe.

Springs was responsible for at least two sacks and had another two stupid penalties. I don't care if he has some good plays as long as there's no way to feel confident about him all game long.

Give me one good reason why you think Rodgers will dominate next year? He hasn’t dominated in 4 years why would you expect it next year??

Rodgers played at an extremely high level for the last nine games in 2016 as well as before being injured at Minnesota in '17.

Bakhtiari is the 10th highest paid offensive lineman in the league. While he might deserve to be higher on the list I don't consider him a bargain for the Packers.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Springs was responsible for at least two sacks and had another two stupid penalties. I don't care if he has some good plays as long as there's no way to feel confident about him all game long.
He was matched up against the best pass rushing OLB in the league a majority of the game. He blocked Mack alone on a handful of plays. On 2 of those plays Mack got a sack and a 1/2 sack.

Mack made Bahk look bad on some plays.

Spriggs has played decently this season and is getting better. Its difficult to remove prejudices and evaluate a player, I get it. Spriggs looked really bad early last year. But look at him now, with fresh eyes.

And bear in mind that Spriggs has a very high ceiling. His is physically one of the most impressive OTs in the NFL. If he really gets it going as I think he is headed, he can be an impact player.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bakhtiari is the 10th highest paid offensive lineman in the league. While he might deserve to be higher on the list I don't consider him a bargain for the Packers.
You are correct and maybe "bargain" is too strong of a word to attach to Bahk and his contract. However, I would call his contract "very favorable" in todays market.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was matched up against the best pass rushing OLB in the league a majority of the game. He blocked Mack alone on a handful of plays. On 2 of those plays Mack got a sack and a 1/2 sack.

Mack made Bahk look bad on some plays.

Spriggs has played decently this season and is getting better. Its difficult to remove prejudices and evaluate a player, I get it. Spriggs looked really bad early last year. But look at him now, with fresh eyes.

And bear in mind that Spriggs has a very high ceiling. His is physically one of the most impressive OTs in the NFL. If he really gets it going as I think he is headed, he can be an impact player.

He is coming to the end of his third season. That ceiling is getting lower and lower my friend.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team has to deal with injuries, every single team. The eagles won a Super Bowl losing their number 1 CB in the 1st game, Darren Sproles for most of the season, their starting LT & MLB for half the season and their star QB, before the playoffs.

Look I am not denying the pack is once again injury riddled but if we were all fans of other teams we would feel the same way. And who are these “star” players you speak of? Here are our IR guys:
So again where are these “star” players you speak of? I see some players that the loss of definitely hurt us but we have not loss a single star player to injury. And for the record I don’t mention anyone playing with injury because not a single player that plays through an injury would use that as an excuse for losing.

We as Packer fans think of our average contributors as “stars” when in all reality they are just another guy. The Packers have 2 star players and they have played most all of the season. Oops make that 3 players, sometimes it is easy to overlook an OL as a star player, mt bad Bahk!

I fully agree that the team isn't really missing any defensive stars (until Clark anyway) but that really just drives home how much TT wrecked this team over his last few years; the Packers are playing backups to a bunch of barely adequate-to-subpar starters on defense and the receiving group is Adams, two past-their-primes-but-overpaid guys in Graham and Cobb, and then a bunch of later round rookies. Only thing I might disagree with from your post is that the team probably has 5 total star players in Adams, Rodgers, Clark, Bakh, and Linsley.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When did Kevin King become a difference maker for the Packers? The guy has barely played due to injuries and when he has, he hasn't been all that. I think he was drafted in the hopes of becoming a difference maker, but so was Rollins, Dix, Randall, Jones......
King hasn’t proven himself to be a difference maker even when he is on the field, which is rare. I have more faith in Josh Jackson in the secondary than King. Fortunately, Alexander has lived up to his first round billing and has matched up against some of the best WRs in football.

But King? Nope, I’m with you on this one Poker. My concern is if he’ll ever show up at all, or join that army of bad TT corner picks. I hope I’m wrong, but next year will be his third season, right? Let’s hope we don’t have another Spriggs on our hands. Different position, same result - high pick gone bust.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is coming to the end of his third season. That ceiling is getting lower and lower my friend.
IMO, there’s no reason to keep Spriggs. He was a 2nd round pick, right? There’s a tendency, and I think it’s wrong, to keep a player becasue of where he was picked. Spriggs seems too tall, has bad footwork, and either gets run through or around. Too bad we never got to see what Cole Madison could do.

Again, just my opinion, but Gluten needs to shore up the right side of the line and quickly. If that means taking a RG or RT with the first pick, so be it. Or FA. Rodgers has spent too much of this season on his back. While his play has been far from great, certainly some of this can be attributed to the weakness on the right side of the O line, and Rodgers running for his life.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No reason to keep him? More like there's no reason to get rid of him. He's NOT what you want in an every down starting right tackle. He hasn't been and he's not now. I'm not certain he ever will be. That said, he's as adequate as more than a few teams have as a starter. He's probably as good as you can expect out of a back up and he's not costing anything. Why would you get rid of him? Because he was a 2nd round pick and he's not a lock down the right side of the line Tackle?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully agree that the team isn't really missing any defensive stars (until Clark anyway) but that really just drives home how much TT wrecked this team over his last few years; the Packers are playing backups to a bunch of barely adequate-to-subpar starters on defense and the receiving group is Adams, two past-their-primes-but-overpaid guys in Graham and Cobb, and then a bunch of later round rookies. Only thing I might disagree with from your post is that the team probably has 5 total star players in Adams, Rodgers, Clark, Bakh, and Linsley.
If the team were winning, Bakh and Linsley would likely be All Pro. I agree with the five guys you list, you could throw in Aaron Jones and Jaire Alexander I suppose. But the point is, that’s it. Other than Clark, there are no impact players on D. I know, they’ve gotten a ton of sacks by committee, but lack a player that opposing teams always have to account for. Hopefully that changes through FA and/or the draft. We need another Reggie White and they don’t grow on trees.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No reason to keep him? More like there's no reason to get rid of him. He's NOT what you want in an every down starting right tackle. He hasn't been and he's not now. I'm not certain he ever will be. That said, he's as adequate as more than a few teams have as a starter. He's probably as good as you can expect out of a back up and he's not costing anything. Why would you get rid of him? Because he was a 2nd round pick and he's not a lock down the right side of the line Tackle?
Maybe as a backup. But with Bulaga in decline, that makes Spriggs a starter. We can disagree on this, and his future will probably be determined by off season additions. I just think that if this is all we can get out of a guy after three years - well he’s adequate, but adequate doesn’t equate to wins.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe as a backup. But with Bulaga in decline, that makes Spriggs a starter. We can disagree on this, and his future will probably be determined by off season additions. I just think that if this is all we can get out of a guy after three years - well he’s adequate, but adequate doesn’t equate to wins.
but adequate is often great to have at a back up position. We're not paying 5 million dollars a year for him to be an adequate back up. He's at the end of a rookie contract, why would you just get rid of him? So you can hopefully find another adequate back up again and a starter? I'd rather just worry about finding 1 than 2.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arguably the best LT in the league, let me rephrase arguably the best OL in the entire NFL, is not a star?

Not the be all end all, but just checked and he is the 2nd highest rated OL in the league according to pff.

He is definitely a star. Not sure why you would think otherwise? Not trying to attack you but just wondering what your reasoning is?
If this team were winning Bakh would be All Pro. Bakh and Linsley have protected Rodgers well. If the right side of the O line could play at 75% of what Bakh and Linsley produce, this would have been a winning season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but adequate is often great to have at a back up position. We're not paying 5 million dollars a year for him to be an adequate back up. He's at the end of a rookie contract, why would you just get rid of him? So you can hopefully find another adequate back up again and a starter? I'd rather just worry about finding 1 than 2.
On your last point we are in complete agreement!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts