Pack expected to pursue Smith

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
"One of the free agents the Packers are expected to pursue is San Francisco linebacker Derek Smith. The 31-year-old Smith started all 16 games at middle linebacker last year and led the team in tackles for the fifth consecutive year. In his nine seasons in the NFL he has had at least 100 tackles every year and set a 49ers record with 189 in 2003."

I really like this idea. He's not a flashy player, but he's solid and consistent. He is also a true middle linebacker, which allows us to move Barnett outside.

I still am a Hawk over Williams guy, but if we can sign Smith I make a complete 180.

If we can get a MLB through free agency, I would prefer Williams or trading down for Huff-even though I hate UT.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
"One of the free agents the Packers are expected to pursue is San Francisco linebacker Derek Smith. The 31-year-old Smith started all 16 games at middle linebacker last year and led the team in tackles for the fifth consecutive year. In his nine seasons in the NFL he has had at least 100 tackles every year and set a 49ers record with 189 in 2003."

I really like this idea. He's not a flashy player, but he's solid and consistent. He is also a true middle linebacker, which allows us to move Barnett outside.

I still am a Hawk over Williams guy, but if we can sign Smith I make a complete 180.

If we can get a MLB through free agency, I would prefer Williams or trading down for Huff-even though I hate UT.

This would be a nice move, add a solid guy who can TACKLE. I saw countless missed tackles last season, which led to prescious third downs that we didnt stop them, which led to the other team either running out the clock on us, or scoring more points on us.

My suggestion was Ronald McKinnon, but Derek Smith would certainly fill the role. Julian Peterson is going to get a fat contract, but if Ted makes the right moves, we can end up signing 5-6 solid, blue-collar players thru free agency

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
mattresell said:

This would be a nice move, add a solid guy who can TACKLE. I saw countless missed tackles last season, which led to prescious third downs that we didnt stop them, which led to the other team either running out the clock on us, or scoring more points on us.

My suggestion was Ronald McKinnon, but Derek Smith would certainly fill the role. Julian Peterson is going to get a fat contract, but if Ted makes the right moves, we can end up signing 5-6 solid, blue-collar players thru free agency

If you saw countless missed tackles last year, what did you see the year before? I thought our defense tackled fairly well last season but almost anything would have been better than Slow-ick's defense IMO.....

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
If you saw countless missed tackles last year, what did you see the year before? I thought our defense tackled fairly well last season but almost anything would have been better than Slow-ick's defense IMO.....

maybe you're right, but we're gonna need to beef up our defensive personell. If we bring back the same defense with a new defensive coordinator--I'm not gonna start the 'he's no jim bates' ball rolling right now, but I think Bates got incredible results from what i thought was a very poor defense on paper

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont wnat him but I do want a SF linebacker Julian Peterson I have heards alot of good about him like if he hadnt got injured he would be the center of the defense and hes younger then smith

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Derek Smith, but I have a question: Is there ANY middle linebacker in the league who did not lead his team in tackles?

These tackle stats are virtually meaningless.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
I dont wnat him but I do want a SF linebacker Julian Peterson I have heards alot of good about him like if he hadnt got injured he would be the center of the defense and hes younger then smith

is your period key broken?

Peterson would be a great addition to the team, but realistically, we have so many needs on our team that to spend a huge chunk of our available money on one player would be foolish.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be a bit surprised if TT signed Smith, but only because of the age angle. TT strikes me as a "no FA over 30" guy. I'm not sure where I got that impression. But he is obviously building for the future, and you don't usually do that with 31 yr. old players.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
I'd be a bit surprised if TT signed Smith, but only because of the age angle. TT strikes me as a "no FA over 30" guy. I'm not sure where I got that impression. But he is obviously building for the future, and you don't usually do that with 31 yr. old players.

We're building for the future, granted, but we need some vet leadership. I'm not saying what TT's philosphy is, that's just my input

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084,
I'm with you here. We finished what, 31st I think, against the run? It was clearly stated by the staff how big of a role the linebackers have in the "D" and our outside guys didn't get it done.

My guess is if we get a guy like Smith it would seem likely we will go with Mario with our #5 and it wouldn't surprise me to see a LB selected with the #37. One of the faster guys that's maybe just below Hawk or Greenway.

That second pick is going to be interesting. I know they like to take the best player available and there's ging to be some good ones on the board.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
JavonWalker084,
I'm with you here. We finished what, 31st I think, against the run? It was clearly stated by the staff how big of a role the linebackers have in the "D" and our outside guys didn't get it done.

My guess is if we get a guy like Smith it would seem likely we will go with Mario with our #5 and it wouldn't surprise me to see a LB selected with the #37. One of the faster guys that's maybe just below Hawk or Greenway.

That second pick is going to be interesting. I know they like to take the best player available and there's ging to be some good ones on the board.

The Packers had the 7th ranked total defense trailing only TB, Chic, Carolina, Pitts, Baltimore and Jacksonsville -- not a single shabby defense among the bunch.

~~ the Packers had the #1 ranked defense against the pass and,
~~ the Packers had the #23 ranked defense against the run.

Smith re-signed with the 49ers

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
Whats so bad about not using periods

Oh, what the hell! Let's throw out the commas, question marks, exclamation points, and everything else while we're at it. It's not like we have a hard enough time understanding people, no sense in being inconsistent.

Members online

Latest posts