Our Defense Is Climbing The Ladder

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
we are 28th now. It's going to take a while to move up high becuase of all the pass yards we gave up early. Once we get the pass rush worked out, lookout. If we can shut down Turner next week, 5-0 baby.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea why the pass defense is that bad. First game I chalked it up to Brees. 2nd game I was like "well maybe Newton is really just that good." but at this point its just a bad trend I hope capers can fix. I dont think we are as bad as the stats say at passing D and not as good at rushing D as the stats say. Reguardless it needs to be cleaned up before the playoffs, thankfully thats a ways away.

Reaction score
I really think Rodgers is causing the Packers D to look horrible against the pass. You have to keep up with the average 37 points per game the offense puts up and you won't do that unless you throw 50 times for 400 yards and 4 touchdowns. That is why we have the #1 Run defense. Nobody runs! lol

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think Rodgers is causing the Packers D to look horrible against the pass. You have to keep up with the average 37 points per game the offense puts up and you won't do that unless you throw 50 times for 400 yards and 4 touchdowns. That is why we have the #1 Run defense. Nobody runs! lol

Excellent point. That makes them look bad in comparison, LOL. Run D reflects more of a lack of a running game anymore. :(

I think they will get it going before long. What I'm really thinking is Dom Capers might of overhauled this D perhaps even more than we know. Without camp and having only 2 weeks to prepare, it's no surprise it may take more than a few weeks to work out the kinks in the armor. I trust in the wisdom of Capers to get this D back to elite.

mor4les

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think another reason Is beacause our front seaven is playing great against the run, and the NFL is now more than ever a passing league with all the protection the QBs and WRs are getting so that makes the other teams pass that much against our defense.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there are a few flaws in our secondary right now that teams are exploiting compounded by the fact that everyone is throwing a boatload of times against us. Burnett isn't great in coverage to begin with and he is getting lined up 1 on 1 with receivers more than I would be comfortable with if I was Dom Capers. Sam Shields is also not amazing in coverage, he is fast and can use that speed to catch back up to an under-thrown ball like we saw yesterday, but if Orton wasn't a pile of poo that was another TD. I think what it all boils down to is a lack of pass rush. Opponents are neutralizing #52 and the rest kind of falls into place. Where is Raji? Where is Walden? Where is So'oto? No where to be seen is the answer. So opposing teams know they have time to get receivers down field and the longer they are required to be covered the less of a chance the coverage is successful.

OP
OP
realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score

Absolutely right. When a team is down two td's out the gate and can't stop the offense they have no choice but to put it in the air. I think one of the factors in not getting alot of pressure on the QB is that Capers is playing alot of nickle and holding the linebackers in coverage. What does it matter if you are giving up yards in the air if you can hold them to 3 in the red zone while you put 7 on the board. One thing you are not seeing a lot of with opposing offenses is YAC. Our guys are usually right on them when they make the catch so an offense has to earn it's way down the field. When they do break one it's because we went for the ball.

My theory (which with 2.50 will buy you a cup of coffee) is Capers is playing loose right now. We are not going up against the premier offenses the first half of the season. Atlanta may be different since we have seen how bad their line is and how poorly they play if you shut down the run and slam Ryan. Second half of the schedule is when we are going to need to start cranking it up. By then hopefully a healthy, hungry and dominant Neal comes back taking heat off of Clay, maybe if we get lucky, So'oto show's he is the real deal and gets in on pass downs.

Either way, if our O stays healthy our D doesn't have to have the top 5 stats. The only stat that will matter for the D is Points.

Reaction score
Excellent point. That makes them look bad in comparison, LOL. Run D reflects more of a lack of a running game anymore. :(

I agree, also! Like the "expert" analysists are saying {and they seem to be correct this time}, the league is obviously becoming more favorable to the passing game. Look at the scores around the NFL; "boat races." Look at all the points coming off of interceptions around the league! Teams are getting behind more quickly this year it seems, so they abandone the run and go to the air to try and keep pace with the likes of QB's such as Rodgers, Brees, Brady, etc. And with the abundance of talented athletic receivers we have, why not? I think we are mixing in the run pretty well, though, whereas, I don't see that happening as much with some {not all} of the other teams. On offense, with Starks and Grant's one two punch, plus our lethal passing attack......lights out for any D to try and contain us.
I think they will get it going before long. What I'm really thinking is Dom Capers might of overhauled this D perhaps even more than we know. Without camp and having only 2 weeks to prepare, it's no surprise it may take more than a few weeks to work out the kinks in the armor. I trust in the wisdom of Capers to get this D back to elite.

I trust DC, too, to get this thing figured out, soon. Give about "any" QB in this league the amount of time to throw as Orton had yesterday and of course it's going to put pressure on secondaries. Get our pass rush working and the "points allowed" statistic on pass defense should begin to drop off drastically. Yes, Nick's injury was a heartfelt devasting loss, but these guys we run out there to fill in the voids are professionals and will get better as the weeks go on. It's amazing just how much talent we have on both sides of the ball! Someone goes down via injury and we are blessed to be able to choose a replacement from our talent pool who is determined and capable of getting the job done. Wow, I really like our team!

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The adjustments we are making at half time defensively are working somehow though. Over the last 3 weeks, after half time, the only team to score a non garbage time td on us is the Bears. The panthers scored a TD but tat wwas when they were down 14 with 46 seconds left. The bears scored once. And the broncos scored but come on... did that matter at all?

That being said our d hasn't been up to the level we are used to. We seem hellbent on stopping the run aat times and not only are we not getting pressure we aren't sending it either. It seems Capers philosophy has been "we have playmakers in the secondary. I'm just going to keep them all back there and eventually they will make plays."

Also, our red zone defense is phenomenal. This is because we are playing a ton of zone from what I have seen. Zone defenses generally give up a ton of yards, but tighten up the closer the opposing teams get to the end zone because defensive players cover more and more of the field aince the field gets smaller and smaller.

All that being said, it is becoming apparent we need to find a way to get more of a pass rush. Clay is getting double teamed with a tight end or runner also chip blocking every play because quite literally, nobody else can get consistent pressure. Wynn is playing better, but he is by no means an elite pass rusher. At least not yet. Also, Raji is a force against the run, but really isn't doing much more than plugging holes and occupying blockers right now. This is fine, usually in a defense, you really just want a nose tackle to fill holes and occupy blockers, but generally, what you expect is for your linebackers to then come free, but um, nobody on our defense seems to be able to do that.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In what I consider the most important stat on defense, points allowed, the Packers are tied for 18th in the league allowing 24.2 points per game. "Lucky" for us, the Packers are first in points scored per game at an even 37 per. Even so they have work to do vs. the pass. Before the season I liked Walden better than Zombo and while Walden has been very good setting the edge vs. the rush, he's been a disappointment vs. the pass. Unfortunately he's had some company in that but I disagree that Burnett is among that group. Burnett has received two game balls in the first three games and if the poster who thinks he isn't good in coverage is focusing on the TD pass he gave up go back and look at that play - similar to a Rodgers' back shoulder pass, it's nearly impossible to cover that pass one-on-one. Also keep in mind he's a safety, not a CB.

I hope the return to health of Zombo and So'oto provide the threat opposite Clay they Packers need. And for the playoff run a healthy Mike Neal would be HUGE.

I know this thread topic is defense but check this excerpt from McGinn's jsonline story:
"Just how prolific have the Packers been on offense through four games? Please sit down for the answer, which is staggering, to say the least.

With 148 points, the Packers are on pace to score 592. The NFL record is 589, set by New England in 2007.

With 1,717 net yards, the Packers are on pace for 6,868. The NFL record is 7,075 by the St. Louis Rams in 2000, when the "Greatest Show on Turf" couldn't be stopped. Green Bay's 6,868 would rank No. 3 all-time.

With 1,325 passing yards, Rodgers is on pace for 5,300. The NFL record is 5,084, set by Miami's Dan Marino in 1984.

With a passer rating of 124.6, Rodgers is on track to break Peyton Manning's record of 121.7 in 2004.

With a 73.1% completion mark, Rodgers is well ahead of the record of 70.6% set by New Orleans' Drew Brees in 2009.

With 12 touchdown passes, Rodgers is on pace to throw 48. The NFL record is 50, set by Tom Brady in 2007. Moss caught a record 23 that season."

The article quotes a Denver defender saying how precise the timing of the Packers passing offense is and of course he's absolutely right. Rodgers may not keep up his current pace but we are witnessing greatness with each game he plays…

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Go look at the rankings. We have the 31st ranked pass defense, while New England is dead last in 32nd place as the WORST pass defenses in the league.

New England actually has the worst ranked defense so far at 32nd while we are 28th.

We really do have problems if we were right next to NE on stopping the pass.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
What is interesting is that I think the Packers passing D is much better then NE. If you guys need a big sack, a turnover or a red zone stop I feel you can get it.

Not as confident with the Patriots in doing those things all the time unless the opposing offense just makes a big mistake.

I would not worry so much about the rankings. D's are pretty crappy right now everywhere. Your numbers will rise. And it's not like it matters. The Colts won a SB after having the last ranked run D in the league.

I think teams are going to pass against you guys as well and often to try and get quick scores and to keep up with your offense. Your offense normally seems to get off to a fast start. (outside the Panthers game but even then you came back and they had to catch up). Many teams likely go into a game against Green Bay thinking they need to score early and score a lot early.

Granted your pass D still can improve. I just would not press the panic button just yet. The talent is better then NE. And since you are tougher to run on they have no choice.

The easier way to slow down the Pack offense is to do what teams always did to the Colts, run and run and run some more and keep Rodgers off the field. But, your team can stop the run well so offenses are more limited.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly...the other teams are playing catch-up for the most part.

Also, doesn't Rodgers score faster than most QB's? (I would love to see a stat on average time it takes for the Packers to score offensively compared to others). Anyway, if Rodgers goes out there, throws a missile and scores in only a few minutes, then the defense has to go right back out on the field without any long break (benefit of having a run game?).

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

I wish there was some sort of a rubric to demonstrate how long the QB had to hold the ball last year due to coverage, and then the sack, as compared to how long they have before getting the ball to open receivers this year. What I mean is, it would be interesting to see if last year's sacks were largely due to receivers being blanketed. On a lot of plays this year it seems if Clay just had half a second or a second longer he'd have the sack.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Passing defense is as important imo as the passing offense.

Will it improve? It better. Otherwise we will get beat like we did in 09 when we lost to the steelers and cards. Offense plays great but just doesnt get that last possession is a fear of mine.

The good news on our passing defense is the opponents QB rating is ranked 18th. While not great or really even good, its not as bad as it has been looking when people are just talking pure yards.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Packers move up to #21 in defense. Probably moves up this weekend.

Members online

Latest posts